Saturday Sightlines

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Saturday Sightlines

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 am

If you imagine Saturday as a tall hill, looking behind you at the week that was, what have you accomplished?

Looking ahead of you at the week to come, what must you prepare for?

Look down at the mess of to-dos that have piled up around you, what can you get done that will make you view this week as a success, or help launch you effortlessly into the new week?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Saturday Sightlines

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 pm

This is a useful exercise for me since I feel like it was a wasted week, mostly because of the pile of to-dos I see when I look 'down.'

But looking back I see I:

- finished doing the the Konmari of office supplies
- took dd, dgsM2 and the baby, to the baby's 2 week midwife appt, picked up groceries
- lunch with ds
- Residents' Association AGM, wrote my report, ran meeting, organized other reports
- Helped ds with his move, making 2 trips out to his new home (1 hour drive away)
- Attended a landlord-tenant hearing downtown
- did up the financial report for the refugee bank account
- maintained the tidying I've already done.

Looking forward I see:

- dd needing me tomorrow morning
- writing a church service and sermon
- spending a day shopping with ds and driving out to his place to drop things off
- an evening event
- going up the valley for the weekend (because I'm preaching)

Looking down I see:

- AGM minutes to be written and sent out and printed for those without email
- the summary of the refugee settlement for the year
- balancing the refugee financial report with what the treasurer has
- housework (I skipped last week and I'm starting to see dust bunnies on the floor and a layer on the surfaces)

I have today 'off' so I will work on paperwork first.

I'm looking forward to moving on to another Konmari item but need to get into a better position for that mess before I start. Plus, there's the whole service/sermon thing!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Harmony: don't worry about the stamp price increase. It amounts to $5 per roll. It is worth the $5 to take the worry off your mind and save you an extra errand.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:48 pm

$5 exactly, Kathryn. Sometimes it's not worth the extra trip/gas/effort, etc, etc. I could have gone to the post office a mile or so away from where we were but it was back tracking and not so easy. Decided I have plenty of stamps for the near future and I'll just cut back on what I need in the fall. We now have individual mailboxes at church and I'll just utilize that at Christmas time and wallah -save the $5.

I was sure that prescriptions I have for a nebulizer (from Dr up home) were in the car. I've looked and looked in here and not found them. Really hate calling them to order a new prescription. Hoping I find the prescription in here -somewhere soon -before I need it.

Dh, dd and I went out for breakfast in Auburndale then made a (expensive) stop at A ldi's on the way back. Spent nearly $100 there which we never do. But essentially we've been buying all the groceries/restaurants, etc since we got here. At least dsonil mentioned it a couple of days ago -so he is evidently aware. Sure wish a job would come through. Praying here. He did talk to the office secretary where he worked up home last year. She told him he was welcome to come back BUT she couldn't guarantee him very many hours this year and most likely not a car. He'd probably spend more than he'd make.

Kathryn, know you've said before, but how far is ds's new house from the hospital where he works?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:52 pm

I was up by 7 slept in an hour longer than my regular time.
H is making his own omelette.
I mailed a letter.
Journal and day planning done.
Washer twins are going.
Fog is burning off and the sun is coming out yea! Glad
I made progress on yarn projects yesterday.

Waving to all!
31* - 48* our temp. Range. Here today.
Later...
Folded one load of laundry, last load in the dryer.
cleaned up a spill on the traffic area in kitchen and dining room.
A M routine awaits, I need to vacuum the living room as well.

C. I. next round
Rebooted the dishwasher
did the spot mopping in kit. & dinning room.
Folded laundry.
Walked the dog.
It is nearly lunchtime.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:14 pm

I took a picture of the thermometer this morning at 5:30
the local weather station said it was -14 but my thermometer said -18
dog was surprised when she went outside. she ran in as soon as those old sweet legs would carry her.

hi d kathryn, hi d dee, hi d nancy!

I woke again at 10:30 - had a migraine all night. usually means rain or snow is coming but I haven't checked the weather.
I haven't done my dailies yet but did run out to drive dd older to her juice place bc I needed to get out of the house.

I ordered geranium seeds from Bur pee (I shall see how they work).
I am trying to plan my week. I need to start on repairs on the house before summer comes. I noticed when summer comes I put repairs and painting inside house aside.

wishing you all a blessed day!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:07 pm

The refugee annual report is done.

I haven't submitted it, in case I can include a comprehensive financial report and not just the bit I'm responsible for. But it is ready and I'll meet the Feb 1 deadline easily.

I'm working on laundry and it is coming along. Just have to flip the last load over to the dryer (then fold and put away.) The kitchen is cleaned up after cooking lunch and the dishwasher is finished running.

I just got a shocking phone call requesting prayers. One of the members of our residents' association executive is a resident of a group home that has a few apartments within our complex. He is legally blind from some degenerative disease including slightly lower IQ that has made it difficult for him to be fully independent so he has a room in one of the apartments and there are workers who help with meals and outings. He has a job at a sheltered workplace, and commutes by bus.

He fell late this week, struck his head, and is in intensive care. The prognosis is not good and his power of attorney is traveling here to make a decision on terminating care. The group home worker ran into another member of the board in the elevator and asked for prayers so I've just sent out that request to the exec and our facebook group. I'm literally shivering here with the shock of this.

This gentleman can drive you nuts (physical and verbal ticks that I've learned to ignore in meetings) and may be blind but had such insight into what we were trying to achieve that he often distilled discussion in a one-liner that I could use to summarize what we are all about. His joy in his life was infectious. He is one who focuses on what he has, and gives thanks. And he challenged us to look past imperfections into souls. Not everyone in the group home had the ability to serve on the board but he did and I'm a better person because he came forward and asked to be on the board.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Aw, Kathryn, so sorry about your friend from the board. Sounds like he made the best of a tough life.

I've been going through things here. I tidied most of the drawers in my dresser.

I also did a very full file cabinet drawer. Before things at the counties were so computerized I used to have to keep copies of their forms (there's a huge amount of those) and in the beginning I didn't have an inexpensive way to copy things so I'd keep some ahead, making copies at the copy place when they got low. Now all that stuff is online. I have stacks of forms, but they get changed and updated every few years, or sometimes few months. Big garbage can full of old forms. Big stack to go through yet and compare to the new forms online now to see if I can toss or save.

If DH had quit I'd just have tossed all of them without all this work. However, someday I will be glad there's not so much to dispose of. Every little bit helps, right?

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 pm

oh my goodness. praying for him d kathryn

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 pm

hello d harmony as well.

Return to “Post When You Can”