Home Sweet Home Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Home Sweet Home Monday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 pm

And this is why you write up minutes right away. Since the AGM on Wednesday, John died. He was active at the meeting and I'm stalled now, crying. I can't believe he died.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:48 pm

And this is why you write up minutes right away.
Boy, I'll try to remember this, Kathryn! Luckily our minutes from yesterday's meeting were sent to me by the gal who filled in for me (thankfully) and they're all done for next year's report. We were there by conference call but I had a really difficult time hearing lots of parts of it. Thank goodness we had someone taking notes just in case. I just made a few typo corrections and formatted it so it's all ready for next year.

This cold is getting the best of me tonight. My nose is getting so sore! Hoping it's better by tomorrow. We'll be staying home all day tomorrow -at least I think so. But Wednesday we have breakfast with dbil/dsisil at 9:15 and I have an appointment at noon for a perm. So the day will be shot.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:34 pm

Minutes are finished but I'm dragging on the other bits and bobs that add up to a whole other task.

Arranged for my childhood best friend to come to lunch here the same day dd is here with the kids. (I'll have dgsM2 overnight the night before, then dd will come with the baby while new windows are installed at her place.) Menu is planned and written in my journal so I know what I have to buy for it.

I've been texting with ds and he's taking a light, mirror and the two pillows I took off the spare bed today, so that's some big stuff out of the apartment. The light needs replacing but it doesn't spark joy (in fact I hate it, but got it for free from ds in the first place, he got it from another friend.) I'd rather spend some money and get something I like then shudder every time I walk into the room and turn on the light (it is connected to the switch at the door.) A $10 lamp from IKEA will work just fine in that spot and its an excuse to go to IKEA!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 pm

Kathryn, is there a service for John? I feel better after the service this afternoon. Uplifting and lovely. Her brother lit a sparkler on the bima (raised pulpit area) and another speaker wisely had “snowflakes” distributed (made by the kids at her school) and we all threw them up to arrange for a snow day tomorrow for schools. (And also to remind us of our all special unique gifts.)

Thinking of Harriet and HRH tonight.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:59 pm

(((Kathryn))) Well done getting the minutes untangled.

It reminds us noting is certain in this world, and that unexpected people have much wisdom.
And that IQ tests are not a reliable test for all folk, for different disabilities or cultures.
Giving praise and thanks for the life John brought to the communities he was part of.

(((Twins))) Prayers for all affected by the unfortunate death there, especially for her remaining family, and her little boy.

(((Harriet and HRH))) I'm glad you appreciated ? my long winded description. It would have been a distraction during a day when patience was needed.

Home from yoga. I've had lunch. I need to tackle some jobs this afternoon.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:14 pm

No word on service for John yet. There will likely be something because he is part of a Christian group home. I suspect the power of attorney (no idea if he/she is family or not) is making the arrangements. The group home is awaiting word from head office.

I know I'll feel better after the funeral or visitation. At this point, I can't believe he's dead and I certainly don't have closure.

The minutes are done. I've mailed them to the person who took notes to edit for me. And I emailed the membership secretary to ask if hard copy should go to everyone we track without email or just those who have paid up their membership fees. The latter is 19 fewer sets of paperwork.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:57 pm

I'm too far behind to post replies to all I want to -- where does the day go???

DS and ddil asked if they could eat their take-out meal with us, so they wouldn't have to load up kids and go on to their house to eat, and of course we were glad to have them. DDIL showed me how to get onto the Netflix account and told me some about the Marie Kondo show. She is kinda fascinated with it... hmmmm... So far she has not actually DONE any of the tasks, but she's interested in it. I think clutter and disorganization bother her more than ds, but -- much like the young mother on the episode I watched tonight -- she is just kinda overwhelmed with the constant needs of children interrupting any efforts to clean or do anything productive, and now of course, school is going to be the number one priority, as it should be.
She had her first test today and was pleased with her grade, so that's a good thing! She was sooo nervous.

After they left, I finished the laundry and watched the first episode of the show, and then -- lo and behold -- I went and Kondo-folded all my dish towels! :shock: One of my drawers is not deep enough to stand up the folded towels the way she shows, and I'm not sure it actually saves space, but I do like being able to see all the towels at one time. I discarded three torn-up towels. There are several others that don't "spark joy" with me, but I figured dh would get really nervous if I started throwing out perfectly good dish towels, just because I don't like the colors. :lol:

I am so sorry for all the losses in the extended family/friendships of our little village. Even when a person is not an extremely close friend, it is still hard sometimes to deal with sudden deaths like this. I particularly keep thinking about the young teacher's students, and of course, her husband and child.

I need to exercise but my feet hurt. I do not think I am going to be as pleased with my new shoes (N ew B alance) as I was with my old shoes (N ike).
* sigh *

Twins was talking about staying in other people's homes. I HATE to do that! DH has some cousins who practically insist we stay with them any time we are in their area -- which fortunately is not too often -- and they invite themselves to stay with us when they come this way. DH agrees with me -- we just much prefer our privacy, having time to decompress in a nice quiet hotel room, being able to eat whatever junk food we want and watch whatever tv show we want. And we are really kinda uncomfortable having houseguests. I, particularly, am a very nervous hostess... do they notice that the walls need painting -- that the whole HOUSE needs painting, for that matter, and we need new carpet... do they think we are ridiculous when they look at the contents of the pantry and refrigerator... do they want to get up a lot earlier than we do (probably yes!) and do they want to go to bed earlier... It's just really anxiety-producing for me.

I'm so glad I have all my minutes typed up. Preacher finally responded to email and confirmed my corrections.

I also want to print out the 365 February calendar, Kathryn. I haven't done ALL of the January tasks, but like you, some of them are just automatically done -- for example, we clean out the refrigerator every week on garbage day, except for some condiments, etc. And we just don't buy a lot of extra things like that (see above, guests probably think we are ridiculous). This is why I cannot just magically whip up a meal from "nothing" like my mother always could... but it is also why I don't have a refrigerator full of expired items, like my mother often does.

(((Harriet & HRH))) Soooo sorry y'all have had another long day.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:39 am

I talked w h about the issue I had about him not getting done in a timely manner, he was not understanding so I made sure he heard me [loudly] say I do not like having to finish kitchen stuff between 9 -10 o'clock in the evening. He got my point! I do not mind occasionally but it was getting to be too much of a habit after 8:00.

It is late tonight bc of the appointment & farm stuff talking to his sibs but at least my fav. Show is not on. His is on tonight he does not like to have his interrupted either. :roll:

I am watching some guy cook sandwiches in a pie iron over a camp fire. Great gift idea for fold that like to cook outdoors! Now I want one to make pizza ones w whole wheat bread slices h can have. Might be fun.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 am

((Harriet and HRH)).
(Twins). Glad you're home. Your visit sounded kinda... yeah, I agree. Good to be home.
Elizabeth, I'm glad you are happy with just your cat "company" in your home.

Blessed, your soup sounds Delicious. I might try it, wrote down the ingredients. Looks as though it should be really thick, with only 1 cup of stock.

I didn't get a lot accomplished today, but kept up with all that was happening around here. I did make a new form for a daily chore that has changed. Needed to make a new spreadsheet and it was a simple one but for some reason I had a lot of difficulty. Finally deleted it and started all over. Finally got it the way I wanted. I've started using it, it's just right.

Nice long conversation with DD2. Haven't talked with her since Christmas. She had some good news. And some bad - DGS (middle one) was in a car accident and that vehicle is totaled. But noone was hurt. Do you know it takes $2,000 just to reset and recharge an airbag? That's crazy.

CCCCccold here. Going to stay cold for another few days.

Return to “Post When You Can”