Weathering Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Weathering Wednesday

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Now all the schools that didn't close this morning are closed at least till Friday up home. And of course there are accidents galore. Roads shut down -mainly the expressways. see there's a 21 car pileup not too far from us on the NYS Thruway (90). Looked at traffic cams up there and it's not nice by any means.

Dh and I went to P ublix and I picked up some specials. Spent $66 and saved $33. Was going to buy P epsi cases but they're buy 2/get 1 today. Tomorrow a sale starts of buy 2/get 2. Somehow that sounds better. Have other things I want to get as well.

Was supposed to get my hair permed today but had to cancel. Still wasn't feeling great (though I think I'm improving) and I certainly didn't want to give this to my hairdresser.

Think I'll go watch a movie while I wait for dd to get home. She's having to stay late every day this week. She usually ends up putting in around 20 hours extra a week (for which she doesn't get paid -sure you teachers know what I'm talking about). Dh's db always thinks they're overpaid and of course they get that 2 month vacation in the summer! Tried different times to explain to him that it's not 'vacation' but she's already put in those extra hours without pay. So it's compensation right RR/Lucy Lee?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Nope Dee, we’re unemployed during our summer months. School contracts are for 9 months. We are only paid for the 189 days we work, not for days off from fall, thanksgiving, Christmas, spring and Easter Break. We don’t get paid for those days. Or for any holiday for that matter. Our money is paid over a 12 month period. When I first went to work I was ONLY paid during my nine months... once a month I might add... so I had to save money out of each paycheck so I wouldn’t be broke during my summer months plus the first moth back cause we were paid at the end of the month.

That plus all the “overtime” we put in is the life of a teacher.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:14 pm

I haven't seen this in years. when I worked downtown I remember seeing this when freezing

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/fire ... MevLA4ekyg
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:31 pm

Brrrr to the weather over there. Its all beyond my comprehension, cept to say, its the worst of a polar blizzard experience, by the sound of it.
Harriet - inland has been super hot for so long . I'm eastern coastal - a bit above that eastern bulge, not far below the island off shore, if you imagine the bit to be 2-300 miles, and not far to be 100. The eastern weather systems have stopped the inland weather from coming east to let off some steam. The desert heat goes south. Tasmania (the island state to out south) had soaring tems that dries things out, then a spate of dry electrical storms that started fires. Along the eastern top half of the continent, they had widespread fires in the weeks before Christmas. Currently the eastern top end is being hammered by rainfall and floods.

Where I live it hasn't reached 40c this season, I'm so glad of that. lately odd showers have happened at night, early morning, so I'm not complaining, though we will need some average rainfal and more to make up a deficit.

Must away.
Heading to coast for a day of support groups/ company.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:37 pm

I am so glad that M got me out to the Y today. I walked 30 min on the treadmill and stretched. Not my most vigorous workout ever but it was great to get back. And by suggesting 3 p.m. I got moving and went and saw dmom for a few minutes before. I really might have procrastinated and not gotten there.

I have soup for supper but I just had a snack of fruit and plain greek yogurt.

I need to do a few things, fold laundry, clear kitchen counters. Also take a shower and I think I'll put pajamas on early too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:42 pm

bw2, wow. That is cold! I think I had glanced at that headline earlier and thought it couldn't possibly be true. When Sherman was making his way through the south, his armies destroyed rails by heating them and bending them into loops, sometimes around trees. Apparently the rails don't get hot enough to start failing when heated like this however.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Blessed - WOW!!! I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and experience shared here.

AFter DS10 band class I got DGD7 from DNeighbors home. Then I loaded up the heater I bought for DMom (was delivered to my house while we were gone). I took the heater to DMom's home and teamed up with DNephew to unpack it. Now DMom can visually see the size of new heater and make decisions how she wants it installed. The heater it is replacing is free standing but she is leaning toward mounting the new heater to the wall. Regardlessly, my part of this project is done. DBro and DNephew will take it from here.

I am home and very glad to be here. My energy level has plummetted. I have been feeling rotten lately and thought it was stress related. Today i've been monitoring my blood sugar by taking it several times and it is telling a different story. I'm not happy with it.

DKids are playing outside with neighborhood kids. It is beautiful weather here. Suppose to reach 70 degrees this week before returning to winter type weather. I am encouraging the kids to play outside in the sunshine while they can. They have about another 20 minutes to play then I'll get them ready for church.

Lady M, when is your trip to NYC?

It isn't until September. I shouldn't be talking about it now when it is so far away. I was just so excited that it came bubbling out. Sooooo sorry!

hum.....I just realized I haven't checked DGD7 backpack. I wonder how much homework she has. oops. Gotta go do that right now.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:58 pm

I'm home and caught up dealing with the drama on residents FB group. The police called the manager to ask that we remove a post, so she called dh and, since I recently gave him access to my FB credentials in order to see dd's pics of the grandkids, he was able to pull the post after asking me by text.

Last night a creep came back and was banging on apartment doors looking for his ex. He was thrown out by the staff (who called police) a few weeks ago and snuck in the building last night. This time, one of the FB group posted pictures of him while waiting for the police to arrive, so people wouldn't open their door to him. The police asked that the post come down because it meant the ex could be identified by people who knew both of them.

So, I posted a note saying that yes, a post had been removed and explained that we have to stop being polite Canadians, holding the door open for people we don't know when we come through. We posted that notice a few weeks ago. Of course, staff leave a door open in the connected building so we need to get after staff to stop that. This isn't the only creep, just the latest.

There was also a notice from the landlord saying our rent is going down a 1/5 of 1%. That works out to $2 per month per $1000 paid. In my case, enough for a gallon of milk and 1/2 pound of butter each month!

So I had to give the background on that.

Dh just called dinner so I'll be back later.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Just finished eating the portabella mushroom pizza I made tonight. It was delish.’ Low carb low
Sugar with lots of veggies. Prep time 15 minutes if that and 10’minutes to cook. My kind of meal.

I’ll post my recipe tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Never mind Netflix binging I’m book binging!! Settling in for a long night of reading... a favorite thing for me to do since I was 8!!!

So glad I don’t have to work tomorrow:D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Dinner took too long to cook. It wasn't a ham steak in the freezer but a small ham so didn't cook up near as fast as we anticipated.

Dinner is now done and I'm ready for bed. I'm shaking with cold but since it isn't colder than usual in here, I think it is just my tiredness. I will take my vitamins, start the vaporizer and then tidy up the kitchen as fast as possible.

Return to “Post When You Can”