First Friday In February

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: First Friday In February

Postby Harmony » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Safe travels, Lucylee!

I have mixed feelings about my time as a juror. Mine was an "i-fell-doing -something -iffy- but -it's -your- fault- and- I'm- suing trial. What I had trouble with was knowing my own experience hiring people, I suspected the real cause of the accident. But because it wasn't brought out in the trial, we were told to consider only those facts presented. Me and another guy who had experience in another state with lawsuits kinda knew what might have really happened. But we had to abide by the rules... and both he and I felt this guy had been way over compensated. After the trial was over and we were allowed to talk about things and hunt for information, I found info on the internet that confirmed my suspicions.

I didn't feel like the org. that ended up paying presented a very good case. One guy was miffed that he had to come back a 2nd day and just wanted it over, didn't want much discussion, etc. so that was bad too. I am over the age where I have to be a juror, and I don't think I will do it again, because the sound level was so low I struggled to hear it all. Not good. I signed DH off the last time a notice came...he doesn't hear worth a flip and doesn't remember good either. Not someone you want on a panel!

That experience stayed with me a long while, wondering if the legal system is really fair. I'm glad it wasn't a gruesome case.

All day I've been working on a file cabinet, pulling last year's receipts out. I'm 3/4 of the way through. I'm going through everything carefully to see what I can get rid of in the general information parts. Been throwing away a lot of stuff, shredding, and DH burned a big packet for me.

I don't know why, but all this paperwork has been exhausting. Once we're really done with all this there will be a HUGE purge and I can't wait for that.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi everyone! DD and I got what I needed at the craft store. She decided to use what I had in house for her project. She needs to make a model of a star's life cycle. Fiberfill used in dolls and stuffed animals can be used for a gaseous nebula. I tried to check if I had closed the garage door and found the peephole is installed for a 6 foot person! Not even on tiptoe can I use it! They cannot remove the existing one, but will install another. I need to get DD16 to determine the height, she is shorter than me. Tall people can bend down, but short people cannot grow taller and keeping a step stool in the hallway is very impractical.

DD spends her time in my house in her room with the door closed, ostensibly doing homework. Not sure if I like this. While Harry Potter fan fiction is blocked on her computer, I am not sure if it is blocked on her phone.

Tonight, I have dinner with a friend. There is a long list of chores to be done this weekend. It never ends.

LadyMaverick: Make sure DD knows that time spent with DGD should not also be spent with any men in her life. DGD does not need that drama and chaos. I have NEVER heard any child of divorced parents say anything good about mom or dad's dating. At worst it's an unmitigated disaster, and at best, it's just tolerable, and always it creates time away from the child unless done entirely during the time the child is with the other parent. And even if it works out, I have not seen ANY good come from having step-siblings. (Yes, I am aware there are exceptions, but all I have seen is problems. I doubt my brother will see much of his older daughters after they are no longer required to.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Twins: it is a nice day here too. No wind and above 0*F, plus sunny so it doesn't feel as cold. That being said, the ice is everywhere so I'm still not walking any further than I have to. The covered parking lot last night was very treacherous as was the open parking lot this morning.

The funeral was good. There were picture boards and a slide show. His roommates said prayers or had readings and his workers all spoke. The pastor had known him for years so spoke well. This church also works with several Christian Horizons group homes so he was familiar with the residents and their way of processing information and had a 'living room' chat with them at one point when he sensed they were getting overwhelmed. He had them visualize a warm and safe place and told them not to be afraid because they were not alone.

I learned that John had been quite independent then had a crisis and his anxiety went through the roof, debilitating him. It was in the fall of 2015 that he slowly recovered from them. He and I both joined the residents' association in the fall of 2015 so now I understand why his workers were so appreciative of us including him on the board. They were seeing us helping him regain his confidence and independence.

The tire was down a bit when I was leaving the funeral so I refilled and dh ended up taking the car to the tire place after I brought it home. The guys there couldn't find a puncture but did find the rim and stem were rusty so repaired those at no-charge. With our terrible tire luck, they figure we'll be back in to buy new tires soon! We already bought our summer tires from them. The winters have maybe one more winter before they'll have to be replaced.

Dfs called to thank me for sending him money randomly. I had meant to give them money at Christmas but then we didn't get to see them a second time that was on my to-do list. I figure it would be a lovely surprise and it was!

I'm still not making progress on the sermon but I'm set up to be working on it. Hopefully the muse will strike soon.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:29 pm

We are experiencing an unreal break in winter weather. I am absolutely loving it. Bright sunshine, mid 60's and a very gentle breeze. Perfect for DKids to play outside. They have been playing outside with 6 neighborhood kids for over 4 hours! They come in to get drinks and eat something then go back outdoors to play more. I am thankful for it!

DD brought DGD7 back here after spending an hour with her. I think this is the first time DGD7 has been to her home in over 2 weeks. I'm not sure about that. I try not to think about it much.

DGD does not need that drama and chaos.

I totally agree with you but saying anything to DD about this would not be received well. BTDT. We have learned the hard way to keep our opinion to ourselves.

I think DH is a juror on a rape case. Not a pleasant experience at all.

DGD7 barbie doll came apart resulting in drama and tears. DGD7 brought the pieces to me, curled up in my lap crying and said "I simply can not lose this doll" So I did the best I could. I have the legs, hip and stomach parts put back together but I see no way to glue or tape the parts. I used a strong rubber band to hold them together but it is a temporary fix at the best. DGD7 is okay with it for now.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Walked dog around the block to get her used to walking with a harness, will have to return the new one it is not working out.
Practiced some hand lettering. Had some coffee.
I cannot get into yarn crafting today that is weird for me. A bit down in the dumps, cloudy with rain in our forecast this weekend.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:27 pm

LadyM: Can we use the Barbie as an illustration of how sometimes people get broken and we have to be careful with them, but we still love them and they are still a full part of our lives?

Edited to add: rereading that, I wondering if that isn't a really important lesson for her to know as she deals with a 'broken' mother at times. Teaching her to react with love (and caution) and to be gentle.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:34 pm

Worked on the roughing up the service so that is done and the bits I have to write still are highlighted.

The sermon is coming along very slowly. I think I may need to move away from the keyboard and back to pen and paper while I consider what I want to say. At this point it is a huge jumble and I'm not sure I'm not making a mess out of things.

Dh is cooking supper for me. With the days being lighter, longer, I just realized the time. He's been working for a while so we'll be eating soon. I thought it was a full hour earlier. That's the problem with this latitude. You really need to be a clock watcher because just judging by the daylight can leave you clueless. A month ago, it was fully dark by 4:45. Today that was closer to 5:30. Even dh is off, he just turned on the news and caught them going to the next program. He's only off by 30 minutes but that is still significant.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Hugs and prayers to all.

My unnecessary to give here opinion.
I don't think there is black and white only, in most scenarios, no absolutes that are true in all cases.
'Biological' parents are not necessarily better than another, carefully chosen.
Damaging people are often damaged, but are they able to change or not? Some do, many don't.

I don't envy anyone the task of dury duty, nor the legal people their task of prosecution or defence.
Seems, from reports, that absence of known information happens,
(and I shake my head at some cases eventually brought to light, again.)

Again - hugs and prayers as you tackle life's circumstances with the people you are with. No one else knows the intricacies of situation and relationships as you do.

1/Feb/2019. (yes/no that is not the US way) (I replaced the 2 with Feb. as a nod to possible confusion.)
I did write of some hopes and dreams of what I would like life to be like - attempting to use my diary twice daily, though I may change it up again. I have a little one I used as a food diary for a while. I could make my wannado list in there, and leave the other for the evening review. I now have a Feb checklist page for food types eaten, or resisted.
I never did get back to readings and response yesterday. The time constraint with helper coming got the better of me, and afterwards I was doing a few more tasks until it was lunch time, and I took time out.
Late in the day I mowed until the battery ran out, then got that charging, mower brushed off, and took a walk. I went up a couple of hills as a slight nod to cardio fitness.

I had seen a link to this website again last month, and signed up for her emails.
Yesterday I finally read this page link in her first email. And made a folder for the ones that have come, still waiting to be read.
https://www.aslobcomesclean.com/2014/04 ... gger-mess/
The notion of not having a bigger mess, or things to deal with at the end appeals to me.
I did used to use the process of picking up 5 things to deliver to their final place at the one time worked for me, especially if there were a number of things needing to head in the same direction.

I did get caught up reading readers comments from years ago, until I could call enough on that, and turn the computer off. It was all food for thought though. What do I realisticly think I want to do in the future with the supplies/ ingredients I have?
End of story though - the space to put things still needs to be cleaned out so you can chose what goes there.
And, the space cleaned, perhaps, as well.

todays plans.
online group in 20 min.

I'm not sure if there will be a chance to mow or do the washing. bitty showers are forecast. Murphy's law that if I don't wash it will be clear and I could have gotten things dry.

I want to reduce the quantities of some hot spots and to be done later baskets left over from prev attempts.

Kitchen clean up definitely.

A movie ? Its the last of the holiday showings (our cinema is part of an interstate group that seems to follow the other state's school term schedule more than our own) so the pickings might not be so 'mellow' next week, or the near future.

A phone call?

pooof to away
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi! LadyM I totally agree with what Kathryn posted.

We had Costco for supper. Dh had his wings and I had my sausage and drink. We got fries with gravy on the side and we really liked them. We had never gotten them before.

Dh needed peanut butter which is why we went to Costco on a Friday night. We ended up getting the Foodsaver refill bags. I also got the massive box of minute rice. We got out of there for under $100. !! :o

Dh is already having his hot tea. I think it's going to be an early night.

I did some pots and pans earlier. Ran the dishwasher and woke Roomba up to do her part. Sprayed some Febreeze and I also sprayed dh's pillows with lavender spray from L'Occitane. They no longer carry it, so I use it sparingly. Went through all of my jewelry today and moved the tray of earrings into the top middle drawer of our dresser. That involved moving the top drawer's contents down to the second drawer and the second's down to the bottom and taking all the stuff from the bottom and finding new homes for the stuff in that drawer. Due to the interesting way our house was "designed" by a divorced man and his alcoholic father and the new girlfriend on the scene who hated this house, we don't have a linen closet. Because we didn't have a lot of bedsheets, I store them in the dresser. Because I had done the KM method of purging and folding, moving stuff down took (maybe) 10 seconds per drawer.

Although I didn't remove any of the non-precious jewelry from any of the trays, I did re-arrange the trays. Now 1 tray has all earrings, another has all pendants and another has all brooches and pins. I bought the trays at Michaels a long time ago. They look like they are lined with velvet, but it isn't velvet. Everything does show up really nicely though. One little square or rectangle per piece. Earring tray holds 2 or 3 pairs per square. I could probably pare them down over the next year but I didn't do that today.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm

use the Barbie as an illustration

EXCELLENT!! I totally love this idea! Thanks for sharing it.

The sun went down and has ended an almost perfect day of kids playing outside. DH is still in court. I don't know how late they will be required to stay.

I cooked cabbage in the Instant Pot using a recipe found online. It was very good. I also cooked several zucchini in my largest cast iron skillet. I thought it would make several servings but it vanished in a short time. Mmmhhh.

DS10 is playing an online game with DGS12. DGD7 is curled up next to me on the couch with her head resting on my lap. She likes me to play with her hair so I've been doing that for the past 30 minutes or so.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”