Thursday by the TOTHs

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
lucylee

Re: Thursday by the TOTHs

Postby lucylee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm

GOOD REPORT! Dh goes back to doctor in August.
Sad news — doctor is retiring. And his nurse. So we hate that.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:55 pm

That's a wonderful report, lucylee.

Big monkey-wrench in my day, but I was able to help someone. Ds called from hospital, where ddil was putting up with a lot, but didn't have to be admitted. Whew. I'm so glad - she wouldn't have wanted to be away from the children. Muscular - she'll eventually be just fine. He couldn't think of anything for me to do at first, and I was just his phone companion while he waited, then he called back and asked if I could do errands for him while he concentrated just on her.

She is laid-up for a while. Dr says do nothing strenuous, and has her on paid meds and anti-nausea, predicts 2 weeks until fully recovered. So I was the go-fer to pharmacy and a few other errands, and ds has become the bedside help. He has a good bit of "family days" accumulated at work and will be taking those. She is comfortable-ish, probably more frustrated than she will let us see, but healing. (Ramblin', I thought of you!)

How I wish the children could just come over here. But so glad there was help I could give. I may consider doing some cooking for them, if ds thinks it's a good idea.

TOTHs went by the wayside. The best-laid plans... ...

I did call and get our tax appts.

At this point, suppertime and maybe later a kitchen spif until 8:00 TOTH.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi everyone! Dinner with my friend was enjoyable, but almost $50! This place, in the evenings goes to "family style", translation: anything on the menu is either "small" (feeds 3 people) or "large" (feeds 5). I could not eat what she wanted due to the cheese content and she did not want the item I could have on the menu. So I have dinner and two lunches. One I ate today, the second tomorrow. Obviously, I got home late, so did not get much done.

DD16's finals were yesterday and she has no school today and tomorrow. Therefore we are free to do whatever. At payroll, I am working on demographics. Some robocaller assures me I can have 0% interest on all my credit cards! Yeah, right.

My traveling companion friend (TCF) called and apparently the xBFF is about to embark on yet another colossally stupid expenditure. This time it is to buy a five bedroom house costing nearly $1M with her boyfriend, selling her own. Will she consult a lawyer? Not likely, because she is in looooove. :roll: :roll: :roll: DD knows that this is a person you can count on for very good examples. Examples of poor decision making, that is! xBFF wants TCF to pay for part of the house, so she can live there if need be. However, the boyfriend wants nothing to do with TCF. Why would he commit to eldercare if he won't even commit to a very healthy girlfriend? xBFF and boyfriend expect to get eventual power of attorney and then control of her estate. TCF has asked me to look into companies that will arrange things like bill paying for incapacitated adults. Not that she is or expects to be incapacitated, she just doesn't want them to blow all her money.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Great going everyone, despite the issues of the day.

Cathy I got 2 long underbed style containers to put in my hard to get at corner cupboard. I chose a style without wheels. One holds cooking stuff, cup cake and muffin trays, cake tins etc, the other - ummm I need to look. I think its baking trays as in roasts, and probably the slice trays.
Anyway, they stay clean from gremlins and geckos and such, and are easy to get at if I finally get back to oven cooking; and I can get to the things that get to be in the can't reach it without sliding myself onto the shelf to reach the corner. bahhh phobic of that. Even the corner of the counter is hard for me to reach. grumbles about men making Kitchen designs without certain knowledge.

I have thought to get another 2 to do the cupboard on the other side.
I would like to do something with my ceramic/ pyrex cooking things. I'll need to look at how much depth I need.
Maybe declutter more would be an answer, but being able to slide things out as if its a drawer is so helpful.
Yes there are things in the cupboard there I have no intention of ever using.
The ones I like to use and put there are currently cluttering up my hutch in the entry. Call it creative stacking.
My dsis once gave me enough glasses as if I were one to hold large parties. Well maybe not that many, but more than the number I'll ever use.

I need to get on with my day. Someone / helper is coming - who knows who? usual one is on leave - and I never did get dishes washed yesterday. Eventually I gave up on my staying up trying to be more settled and just went to bathe and wash my hair, lights out was 1.30, so not conducive to a good night of 8 hrs in bed. I did guess 5 hrs sleep so that's about the norm. Hoping to get it more often to 6hrs.

I'm thinking to continue the entry project today. There will be things to go otd.

I hope the US has the equivalent of our Public Trustees Elizabeth. Yes they get renumerated for their efforts, but not taken for a longggg rideeeee for as many $$$$$$$$$$$$$ as possible.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm

I looked into the cabinet a few times while I was getting supper ready. All the bowls nest into each other. All of the serving plates stack nicely. All of the oval shaped things are in another pile. etc., etc.

I think I will do one pile at a time sometime between now and November and then use cling wrap to cover the top of each stack. I only use the roasting pans with any regularity. There are various pieces I don't think I ever used. Some is Limoges and other pieces are Wedgwood. Some of the clear stuff is crystal. I don't want to donate the stuff, but some of it just sits there and sits there.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:33 pm

I enjoyed my time spent at the y and am glad I made my cranky self go. My blood sugar is back into normal range. Exercise is done, plus BS good plus I'm not cranky now. Win-Win-Win.

I'm going to give myself some time with feet up to watch some youtube videos that I'm interested in.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 pm

That hour worked out well, but since then the household is busy with dd's homecoming, and I could hardly get back here.

Elizabeth, your friend needs to decide if she wants to hitch her future-wagon to this other friend and thinks it's wise. It's not far-fetched to make a more permanent arrangement of mutual ownership with a roommate, and in fact I remember that I've seen it work fine several times. But even that does get complicated, with wills, etc. Financial backing of a homeowner situation that includes that roommate's current man-friend, who didn't bother to marry? Lawyer needed.

Lynlee, I have a poorly designed kitchen cupboard corner on the lower part. Sounds like you have yours more cleverly figured out than I do. My quandary is not just the good contained storage I could have in the corner. It's that the full path to access it would have to be just as easily contained and removed. Every SIMPLE idea is too big and cumbersome to access, so I'm still stuck with some haphazard ideas right now. Yes to the concern about " stay clean from gremlins and geckos and such".

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 pm

What a day.

First thing this morning DH left for work and 20 minutes later he was back home. He said he made it about 2 miles and the road was so icy that he didn't feel safe and didn't think he would make it as far as work, so he found a place to turn around. A couple minutes after he walked back in the door, I heard the radio dj talking about an accident blocking the interstate because a semi jack-knifed, and other reports of several cars in ditches.

I kept hoping that I would get a call to say don't come to work. Unfortunately, the call I got said that they decided to close early because of a predicted blizzard on the way, but I was to come at the regular time and work 4.5 hours.

Therefore, I rushed around as per usual getting ready to leave the house -- and that's when for whatever reason DH decided to use the bathroom where I have all my makeup and hair care products, which made him totally in the way and slowed me down.

I finally got out to my car and found it encrusted in ice. It had been fine a couple of hours earlier when I looked out to see how much scraping I would have to do on the windshield. Sometime while I was doing chores and then taking a shower, we obviously had a downpour of freezing rain. I tried without success to get into my car. I came back into the house to ask DH to either help me break into my car or to give me a ride to work.

DH checked his car and, because it was parked on the other side of the house under a big tree, it had been sheltered from the worst of the freezing rain and he could open the doors. I helped him scrape the windshield and windows. He drove me to work right to the front door, for which I was grateful.

We had a lot more people come to the library than I expected, especially because school had been cancelled and the roads were bad everywhere. I think, though, that everyone was so sick of being housebound, and the people who did come in all live here in TinyTown so they took a chance at being able to get away and back within a short window of time.

We closed the library at 5 and it was so lovely to have DH waiting at the door in a nice warm car. It was even my car! DH had decided that as long as he was stuck home for the day, he might as well de-ice both of our vehicles. Hopefully whatever snow we get tonight will be easily brushed off in the morning.

I suggested several recipes that I could make quickly for supper, but he didn't want to wait for me to cook anything. He is used to eating fast food on the nights that I work. We drove by all of the restaurants in TinyTown (all 4 of them :) ) but due to the bad weather, the only one still open was McD's. We ate as quickly as possible and got back home just before dark. I am already regretting the fast food (both the choice of food and the eating so quickly) and have taken an alka seltzer.

I've been sitting here answering Emails. I can hear the wind howling around the house. I'm so grateful to have a house, and a furnace that works, and warm clothes, and hot tea.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Harriet - I guess the thing I'm thankful for about that cupboard is that the corner door is hinged in the middle so its the L shape when closed, and that there is no post to hold up the shelf away from where the door hinging posts. I have put some things close that would need to move, not too hard , just a saucepan nesting in a fry pan on the top shelf. The bottom shelf has collected some vases in front, but I can see them moving if the other side cupboards became useful again. Beside that I have a smallish tub for tablecloths and the odd apron, easily moved if needed.
I went to collecting some pantry items in tubs with lids after meese wanted to try things out one year, and continue that to a point, though I believe its been some years since they tried to share house.

Elizabeth - A trusted solicitor would be the other person who could help dtf, if she doesn't have anyone else.
I see lots of pain if she were to get 'involved with the have to have a man xff, and her man.
Even within the family I know of cases where the shared home, or 'granny flat' at the dd/ds's home has left the elderly person needing to escape, at great loss of funds.

I worked for 90 min in the front of house this morning. I need a hat stand, I think. Found some missing exercise stretch straps. I want to pass them to dd and dgd16.
Lots 'went'. Shopping bags no longer 'oooze'. If it was a mildewed cold goods bag, its gone.

Cathy - glad you got to work and home safely.
Here some McD have a chicken garden salad that I can eat if nothing else is open. They don't particularly put its name up in lights though they did when they first introduced them.. Hope there is something there that doesn't leave you feeing so bad.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Well, I got the family trust documents purged and ready to file with the new system. So that's something.

I'm very overwhelmed with paper but I have to keep reminding myself that if I do a section every day or two, I'll get through it all. My first deadline is March 9 because that's a community shredding day.

I keep watching Freedom Filer videos to better understand things. It is obvious I don't from my reading and that video works better for me. That was true with the KonMari as well.

Off to bed soon. I'll tidy up my mess here first, though.

Return to “Post When You Can”