In Motion Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: In Motion Monday

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 pm

happy birthday d empty nester!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:45 pm

I have never heard of Snow Snake and couldn't mentally figure it out by just reading about it. I looked for and found aSnow Snake videoand it makes perfect sense now. What a great game to do with multiple ages. I showed the game video to DS10 and hopefully, we will remember it the next time we get several inches of snow.

DS10 and I put a couple of sweet potatoes in water this morning (sticking toothpicks around the potatoes to suspend them in a cup of water). My goal is to have several slips available to plant this spring. I like the way sweet potato vines look in the flower garden. They keep the ground shaded during our hot summer, provides extra greenery and doesn't seem to bother the annual flowers that I plant in the flower gardens each year. As a bonus, I harvest many sweet potatoes in the fall when I'm cleaning out and preparing the flower beds for winter.

I have set up a card table and 2 smaller tables in prep for tomorrows decluttering session. I pulled 100+ books out of the library shelves that belong to DH. I have them sorted into stacks on the card table by the author. The two smaller tables that I set up have "Keep" and "Give away" signs hanging on them. DH isn't a big fan of decluttering and would happily keep everything that we have ever brought into our home. However, he knows it makes me happy to go through things and get rid of stuff we no longer use. He will willingly do it because I ask him to......and because I made it simple. His books are now organized in stacks so there are fewer decisions for him to make.

DH just woke up from a long nap. He is groggy and in slow motion. I want to go to the Y but I think I'll skip today and let DH continue to have a slow day with minimum child care.

I laid several things out of the freezer to defrost. I've got some prep to do in order to get our meals ready to eat over the next couple of days.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:01 pm

it was expensive (1800 got junk) but it's gone and dh is happy and so am I. nice young men. tv set and mattress gone as well.

d dee praying your migraines go away.
yes, pam and peggy taught us that right away! loved them. I still have a note signed by them when they were in a small town near where I was living. I was shocked they came there. I have it hanging on the wall over my desk. hoping this afternoon finds you migraine free

hi d lady wow on pulling out books. i love that.. keep and give away signs on table while you separate your books.

d twins so exciting that you are adding your work to your portfolio

((d harriet)) totally get the one more shoe to drop to cause tears. you have had so many worries re: your sweet dh. much love to you. sometimes a good cry can release the stress inside.
Hope you have a lovely peaceful recoup day!

hi d kathryn, I am so sorry that your brain is still recouping. it take so long. glad you are starting to feel yourself again. it takes time!
that game looks like so much fun!!!
how fun. tea and milk and chocolate chip cookies all made with snow and shared with the snowman!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Tonight's menu is omelets made to order (to suit each of our taste & ingredient preference). I have the ingredients selected and have started the prep. I like as many vegetables that can be fit into an omelet so it takes some prep for the various vegetables. I'm also cooking 2 types of meat (bacon & sausage). Some like one over the other so there will be something to please everyone tonight.

Once DH woke up a bit more I explained to him my system for decluttering his books. I told him that each stack on the table was a different author and there were 4 stacks of misc authors. Then I showed him the table signs for where he should put the books he wants to keep or give away. I told DH that I would take it from there once he made the decisions. DH shocked me by saying "There are only 3 books that I want to keep" and then he named them (textbooks). I immediately found and pulled those books off the table and put them back in the library. I was so surprised that I told DH that I wouldn't touch any of the other books until tomorrow to give him time to make sure he is okay with getting rid of almost all of his books. DH has always been an avid reader and reads many books each month. To say he loves reading is putting it mildly. However, he has been reading on his kindle almost exclusively for a couple of years. He has over a million of books available to read through Kindle Unlimited subscription and that is what he uses for his reading material. I don't think he has touched any of these "real" books in several years.....but I am still a bit stunned how successful this declutter session is going.

It is 3:30pm and I haven't eaten yet today. I didn't plan to wait this long to eat but I'm not hungry and my blood sugar is staying stable. I will eat when I fix the evening meal for everyone even if I'm not hungry. I want to go slowly on learning this new-to-me WOE.
1. Know what you want.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:38 pm

your omelettes sound delicious

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm

LadyM: we have very few books left (compared to where we started!) When we moved we got rid of at least half our library and saved only those books that we had a connection to or used for reference. I may do the books again after the rest of Konmari but I'm not sure what would go. I have about 3' of books to read and most of the rest are sentimental. I've only kept Happiness File and From Pigpen to Paradise because those are the ones I loved. The rest I got because of the authors, but it was those two that were life changing. Obviously, I could let them go now, but as long as there's space for them (and we aren't about to get rid of the heirloom bookcases) I'll keep them. My preaching books may need a serious cull though, since I'm not preaching anymore. Of course most were on my 'to-read someday' list or I've just used chapters here or there when preaching on a particular parable.

Unlike you, though, we use the library or the sharing shelves, mostly. I have a book yet to read on my tablet but recently it has been using the library's audio books.

Speaking of which, I have one due back in a few days. It is non-fiction and failed to grab my attention. Also really long chapters, I'm only on chapter 2 but 90 minutes into the book.

Dinner is started and should be ready around 6.

I've watered the plants, wound the clocks and refilled the radiator humidifiers. So that's all the easy Monday work done. I'll get to the dusting (it is half done.)

The big storm tomorrow is causing me angst. We are expecting 16" between noon tomorrow and noon on Wednesday. I would be taking dgsM2 home on the bus at 1:45. If the snow arrives on time, that will be a problem but some models show it arriving at 3. I'd be almost home before the first flakes fell. I'll make my final decision tomorrow morning but I'm coordinating with dsil.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

stay safe tomorrow d kathryn!!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Rounds two & three of snow removal is complete now.
We had lunch.
School buses will be by in a bit.
It is suppose to be 42* for our high temp. Here tomorrow.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:01 pm

We are expecting 16" between noon tomorrow and noon on Wednesday.

I can hardly comprehend that much snow falling in a 24 hour period. We go into major emergency status with 6". who am I kidding....2 inches of snow causes a panic here.

DH has taken over the omelet making. I have been helping DGD7 with her homework. She doesn't need help to do the homework but needs help finding the right tools to do it. DGD7 easily put her 15 spelling words in alphabetical order. Then she has to write them again on another sheet of paper and then uses 3 colors of pencils to trace each word She could use crayons or markers but that isn't pleasing to her creative way of thinking. She wanted color coordinating map type pencils. I found those and gave them to her. DGD7 is such an easy child to please. Next up is to listen to her do reading homework and then initial that she did it. Listening to her read is very entertaining. She does it as if in a play using different voices for each of the characters.
1. Know what you want.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi!

When I got home from the afternoon knitting group (where I cross stitched for the first time in quite a while) I took the leftovers out of the fridge and got them ready to get heated up. I don't know what the difference is between a "Bain Marie" and "Sous Vide" but I think I used the "Bain Marie" method to reheat the salmon casserole. A large pan is partially filled with water and then the casserole dish goes in. The casserole dish has been covered with foil and then the lid of the large pan goes on. The whole heavy thing goes into the oven at 350 until the food is heated through. I also put all the leftover cottage roll along with lots of leftover potatoes and carrots into a frying pan and used the fat from the meat to be the "grease" in the pan. I would normally use butter but there was so much fat that I decided to use it.

While all that was cooking I brought in some wood for the fireplace. Not as much as dh would bring in, but it will do at least one fire if we need one.

That being said, all storm models show this entire storm missing us but the entire rest of the province is under a winter storm watch/warning. It could be because we are between the 2 great lakes. A friend of mine is up on the ridge and west of us. She is telling everyone at knitting what a big storm we are in for. We'll see. She also tells people it's coming at a certain time and fully expects nature to happen according to a timed schedule. "It's going to start at 6 o'clock!!" I've tried to tell her that maybe, just maybe, it might start at 5 or at 7. NO way, Jose!! The weatherman said it's going to start right at 6. I do try to not argue as much as I would like due to the fact she is 80.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”