Sunday Sweet Memories

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lynlee

Re: Sunday Sweet Memories

Postby Lynlee » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 pm

hugs from Monday

Washing machine - and the washing is the washing, not laundry, which is the room for the washing machine, or wash tubs and mangle if you were lucky in the days before a washing machine came. The copper was just outside the laundry, fire under to heat the water in the copper while singeing the hairs off your legs as you stirred the clothes with the boiler stick. OK - I was just the witness to that.
A recipient of the boiler stick for not eating all of a meal. No wonder I have food issues.
I was more the sidekick at the forge, turning the handle for bellows while my father heated metal for reshaping. Or in the paddock with dad doing whatever was needed on the day. The big kids would be at school, and I realise now, a pregnant mother was having a break from child supervision such as that was and getting things done inside the house between milking cows morning and night.
That baby had been a surprise to me. It was also a month early, I found out eventually.
The odd ways of families in the 50s.
It could have been any century if not for having motorised transport. And a generator for power with battery to the house before the electricity came when I was 7.
Steam trains and diesel rail motors.
Passenger trains don't stop out in the country as they once did. A pity I think.

I read last as I have not been 'going so well' lately. Eventually I slept almost 4 - 8. Decided against yoga instead of rushing without tmeds or bfst. I can go to the teachers class in the next township tomorrow, so that is the plan. The class is later, so a later bus can get me there.
I have an hour to get to the bus stop if I'm going to group this afternoon.
I wonder if it helps, or not.

Twins - I used a drop of lavender oil rubbed around the effected ear, esp over jaw joint and up to my temples. I might be kidding myself but I think it helped.

Kathryn asked if I did anything different the night I slept longer. I rubbed another drop of oil over the back of my neck/spine, from where it goes out of wack to the base of my scull and especially in that hollow. I'd had a headache there that night.
It may have been more than that though. I have a book I bought a decade or so ago - I read a page with my morning readings when I am able to fit it in.
How to sleep like a bear. Putting insomnia to bed. by Dara Boland. Celestial Arts publisher. first printed 2001 ISBN 0-89087-975-3
I think that helps somewhat, as well as the other things I read helping my mh. Or they help with a reset button somewhat.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Harriet: the ministers hourly guidelines are in the Needs Assessment Document, the document we publish to describe who we are and what we want. They let any applicant know the priorities of the congregation. I remember adjusting them for our female minister during her annual review because she felt an adjustment was necessary to reflect how she actually spent her time. The minister's time is their own and obviously they don't work just 40 hours a week, but it gave us a starting point for describing the expectations and later, doing evaluations.

We had pizza from a place that will be moving nearby in a few months. Their current location has been expropriated to build a light-rail station. Dh didn't plan ahead and it is takeout only so we walked in and then had to wait 20 minutes in a grungy area piled high with boxes. I went outside and walked back and forth on the walkway because it was clear of ice and dry and 90 steps from end to end of the plaza. Every other store in the plaza is empty now. So it wasn't a pleasant walk but it was fresh air.

The pizza was tasty but I do not feel well now and am not sure if it is related. I have shooting pains in my right shoulder and neck. It was my left shoulder that was sore earlier this week. I'm off to bed soon because I'm that unwell/depressed.

Dd texted to say she'd like me to come over tomorrow. But not to take dgs somewhere but to stay at the house. I'm frustrated but I'll go because in her mind she is asking me over for company. I'm upset that it won't work to get dgs to the music festival that runs today and tomorrow. I sent them the info on Tuesday, followed up on the phone on Friday and today would have been the day to take him (the concerts were at 4 and 4:30 so after naptime.) But nothing happened and tomorrow they are 12, 12:30, 2:30 and 4 (there are 2 different concerts) and all but the last interfere with naptime.

I sat down and cried just now because I've done nothing all weekend outside the home except eat.

It is a long weekend. The weather is sunny all day and approaching warmish and I've sat and looked out the window because no-one wanted to do anything until after dark each day.

It is a long weekend. Family weekend. But none of my family want to do anything.

It is a long weekend. A lost weekend.

I'll go and sit inside tomorrow at someone else's house. Big whoop! Way to celebrate the mid-point of winter.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:11 pm

(((Extra hugs all around))))

I feed the kids a good meal. I had planned to eat an evening meal but my stomach was in knots and I couldn't do it. I made sure to keep things light-hearted and a smile on my face and hopefully, the kids didn't notice anything.

I'm glad today is almost over. Tomorrow is a new day with a fresh start.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 pm

About memories - last weekend I asked the computer voice to play John Denver and she went straight into some old albums. I recognized even the introduction of the other musicians from a concert album, etc. Anyway, one of the pieces was "Today", which was not one he wrote himself, but an older folk music tune from the 60s, but I always thought Denver did it best. Brought back a flood of memories of my late dh and me, listening to those albums over and over, since we had so few anyway, lol. We had 4 speakers back then even though it didn't matter - remember that? Our end tables may have been made out of cement blocks, but we were proud of that stereo/turntable! :) A bad combination for reminiscing, though - Denver, who is himself missed so much and lamented often, singing "Today" about not forgetting, and making me think of very old times, lol. snif. lol.

HRH and I are back to a more even keel. He just wasn't thinking things through well and I think when his friend called he was probably awakened from a nap and said "yes" when it needed to be considered more. Part of my upset is knowing that until this treatment is over, on some days HRH will be surprised by not feeling well enough to entertain, or to eat a particular food. He needs to see how he feels before he makes promises. Part is that others would need a crash course in his current meal timing and dietary needs before it would be likely he'd be able to eat all they assume he can - disappointment looks inevitable. Part is having to be prepared to turn a company-ready kitchen over to his friend. Sigh. It's just a bad idea that wouldn't have gotten past me ... .. but I'll get over it.

Dd has gotten two loads of laundry done this evening.

At times we do say "clothes washer" to explain we don't mean dishwasher - for instance when remembering to shop for soap for one or the other. But as a general rule, the clothes are washed in the "washing machine" OR we just say "washer" and "dryer".

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:41 am

Laundry goes in the washing machine, then the dryer, or the clothes rack... and dishes in the dishwasher.

This has been a long evening, but a pleasant day.

Gender reveal — my only girl first cousin found out today that her oldest son and his wife are having a baby girl. :) First grandchild for her.
Exciting, happy day.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Deleted everything I posted Monday (wrong day) nothing important except to me.

Return to “Post When You Can”