Thursday PYWC - Seize the Day & Make it Yours

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Thursday PYWC - Seize the Day & Make it Yours

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Must have gone East.
It certainly did, Harmony! Dh and I went to Sam's and while we were in there, a lot of noise began happening. I quickly realized it was pouring rain hitting the roof. Told dh that's what it was and he barely believed me till it started to let up and then poured again. :lol: There was water everywhere when we came out. Got a really good buy on thick pork loin chops (boneless). They were so big I packed them in 4 lots of 3. Will give us 4 meals for only $7.74. Nice!

We had lunch of some cabbage soup when we got home. Watched a Sue Thomas, FBI, movie. Then it was nearly time to take dh to dd's school to meet her so they can go to the Orlando hockey game. I'll be going to the Saturday game. First time I've been in a couple of months. When I could have gone (we don't drive when it's during the week as we'd have to drive in the dark from dd's school/home), I was just getting too tired.

Going to make myself a big salad for dinner. Not sure if dsonil will want me to make his dinner -hoping he'll get his own. I'll eat soon so I'll be ready for "Wheel" & "Jeopardy". Then I head to bed. Dsonil still sleeps in the living room recliner and has to get up before 4am to go to work. So we've all been going to bed fairly early. Notice dd has been ready for bed much earlier than she used to be -she gets pretty tired at this point in life.

Think I'll figure what to put in my salad and take my meds.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:45 pm

I got off on time-ish this morning but it took 12 minutes to go 3 blocks to get onto the highway so I was late getting to dd's. We made it to the front door of the hospital on time (9:35) so I dropped her and dgdJ0 off and then I was #8 to get a parking lot. Phoned dh to see if he could find me another parking lot which he did.

We were all done the ultrasound by 10:15 but dgd needed nursing so we sat and chatted, then went to the thrift store, I dropped off a bag of clothes and we shopped. Then on to my dropping off batteries and CFL bulbs for recycling, then to lunch (junk food since dgs wasn't with us so dd didn't have to eat healthily!)

Then I dropped her at home and took off for Costco, car wash, dollar store, dropped off the old eye glasses for recyle and met up dh. We came home together so he didn't tap my transit card. I can't lose sight of that needing to be done within 30 days.

We were to go to the fancy steak-house tonight but I just can't spend $120 on a dinner out. I wouldn't enjoy it. So he's making up chicken pieces. It might be because I'm too tired. We'll see. The place has excellent reviews and the price isn't out of the norm for a good beef restaurant here.

I'm thrilled to have so many errands run today so that's a good thing.

Now to spend time finding out what you all did today.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:16 pm

I took a nap.
Snowmobilers love this weather!
Knit a few rows.
Did some writing.
Sun is out it is so lovely.
Got some sketching done.
H. Worked later today did not get to the storecso we just had what was on hand.
A day for me helped.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 pm

The CFL equivalent to the NFL's Super Bowl is called the Grey Cup here. Just found out that it will be in Hamilton, Ontario in 2021. Told dh that maybe we should go on vacation that week. It is 20-25 minutes away from here, between here and Toronto.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:52 pm

I'm home from a very enjoyable afternoon spent at the YMCA. The time past so fast that I struggle to believe the clocks are right. I am thrilled that my strength keeps improving. I am able to do things now that I couldn't attempt 3 months ago. I still have a long way to go.

I took some vitamins to DMom that she requested.

I ordered pizzas and picked them up on my way home. I prepared myself a huge green salad for dinner, but knew DH and kids wouldn't be interested in just eating that. In hindsight, I should have put something in the crockpot today, but I was busy and didn't think of it. Ohs well. Pizza to the rescue.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Cathy - And miss the game???? >>>>duck and running<<<<

I am so engrossed in learning how to do the various methods of gardening in buckets. I have started with the easiest method (Kratky) and now I'm looking at a more involved method because it requires some assembly. I have been watchinghow-to videos on Dutch Buckets. I stop the videoes so I can take screenshots and write myself notes. Start video....stop/screenshot/notes...repeat...repeat.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Cathy, I'm sure that game will make quite the traffic jam in your area!

Still have to get my sheets on. I had stuff to do but...but.... spent an unreal amount of time sorting my buttons from my button "can". I was looking for buttons to go with the new fabric. DD has Christmas throw pillows and wants to use them year round. I am using the new fabric, an anti-pill plush fleece, and will make covers for them with the backs in 2 pieces with button closures so she can take off and wash. Hence the buttons I had out...and just HAD to sort into like piles. Of the hundreds of buttons I have none is exactly right. Who wastes times like this? Crafters, maybe!

Should I take the time to string likes together? I probably will do some of them...

Anyway, it's getting late, I better get busy.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 am

Finally cuop!

I'm pretty tired and my brain was envisioning that Cathy was getting a new swimsuit because Harriet's had so much water at her place!

So I signed up for the seminar this afternoon.

Twins did a good job of living up to her Seize the Day theme!

DgsM2 did as well. He was very disappointed that I showed up this morning, gave him a hug and left, and then left after returning his mother and sister but couldn't stay to play. There were three reasons for that. First, there was a big truck blocking their place so I was parked in the neighbour's driveway. Second, I needed to get some shopping done. Third, it was his naptime.

So tonight I got a text from dd saying dgs has requested a sleepover and cornbread tomorrow night at my place! He's seizing the day and we'll seize it as well (although he may chicken out.) It works well for dd because I'd invited her over with the kids on Saturday because dsil is having a group of markers come in and mark high school math contest exams.

I had a good time with dgd and wonder if he was a bit jealous that I spent the day with her.

Dh and I had dinner in and the watched the movie Sing. I cleaned up since dh cooked then had a 2.5 hour phone call with CM. I'll go to church 45 minutes early on Sunday and we'll have a chance to talk over something in person.

Cathy: we had the game here 2 years ago and it wasn't a big deal at all.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 am

Alls well that ends well but................

Today dgs13 had a game against our other middle school. They played a great game and won without the guy who thinks he runs the show. Don't know if he was sick or what. Then dh and I went out to dinner.

Dh went to the garage to watch the news and play with the dog, after we got home.

The phone rang and caller ID said 1 -800-MEDICARE as the caller and the phone number as 1- 800-633-4227. I recognized the number as correct and answered. There were so many red flags that later, I was kicking myself for answering. This gal with a foreign accent that I could barely understand asked for dh. I said he was not here and she asked where he was? Red flag #1. Then she asked if I was Mrs. C and I said yes. She asked if I had received my new Medicare card. Medicare was updating their files. She wanted to know my Medicare card number and I told her that I didn't think I should tell her. She asked if M edicare had showed on caller ID? Yes Red flag #2. So she again told me they needed my number. This time I was dumb (stupid) enough to give it to her. Then she asked several times during the call for my address. Somewhere along the line, she told me that this was being recorded. That sounded kind of legit. In the background I could hear other calls being processed. Then she told me that in my medical files she seen that I had had a shoulder injury and they could send me a brace for it. I kept telling her that that happened 9 years ago and I seldom have issues with it. Then she wanted to check my medications. Red flag #3. That should have been in my medical files. This whole time something is telling me this isn't right but it's M edicare and a government agency calling right? Wrong!!!!! So I gave her my first medication and that was all she was interested in. Next she wanted to know when my last dr. appt was and when the next one would be. Red flag #4, really is that any of their business. Then she wanted me to list my surgeries last to first. She didn't believe me that I had not had surgery ever. I have been blessed so far as to have only had anesthesia 3 times. The first was in 1971 when dd1 was breech and bottom first, they put me out without explaining why and I went out screaming "help, he's killing me." A whole student nursing class was crowded in the delivery room and observing this. I still feel like it should have been explained to me before it happened. Then in 2010 I had a bladder biopsy and in 2017 a colonoscopy. She just couldn't believe that I had no surgeries. I think that covers most of it but the last thing she said in a voice I could clearly understand was the next time Medicare showed up on my caller ID, that we better answer it. This was said in a threatening manner. Red flag #5 at least.

So after we hung up I called dm and was telling her. She said I am sure they say not to give your M edicare number to anyone over the phone and only to medical professionals. I told her that I was going to hang up and check M edicare. gov. Dh came in the house and downstairs while I was doing this. I was telling him that I think I have been scammed big time. Well I didn't have to go to far to see that M edicare would not call you unless you had called them and not to give out the number, etc. I felt sick, sick, sick and mad, at myself and the scammer. Oh also she wanted my birthdate, over and over. Red flag #6. So I asked dh what should I do? He said call the M edicare number that is on your card. Well that is indeed the same number that had supposedly called me.

So I called that number and went through a whole bunch of automated questions. One of them being the last 4 numbers of my SS card. I was so rattled by then that I couldn't even remember it but I happened to notice our tax returns lying there and there it was. Finally I got through that I needed to talk to someone and was told the wait was ten minutes. So I waited and the nicest younger woman answered. She was so helpful and when I told her how dumb I felt. She said the dumb thing would have been to do nothing and not report it and let fraud happen. She went on to say that yes I could have a new card with a new number, it will take about 2 weeks. Luckily, I have not given that number to anyone that needs it yet, so I don't have to go back and correct that. My mom had scared me that they could get my social security number by having the M edicare number. This nice woman said that since they changed to numbers and letters instead of your SS number being the M edicare number, that shouldn't happen. She went on to say that there many scammers out there and it is not uncommon for someone to have to change their number, after calls like I had. She asked me to tell her everything I could remember about the call. Also my first number will have a fraud alert on it and I won't be responsible for any fraudulent charges that may occur. She told me since I was new to M edicare that I could/should authorize someone to be able to see some or all of my files and for either a set amount of time or indefinitely. So she was able to do that tonight. I put dh and dd1 on there. I have no secrets from either of them and if I can't do this myself, then they need to be able to do it indefinitely. I just needed to give their name and address. After we had done that, I told her that I don't remember doing that for dh when he started M edicare 2 years ago. She said after we were finished, she would clear my file and do the same for him, if was there. So I explained it to him and he talked to her. He did the same as me with dd1 and I being authorized for him.

This super nice woman told me that any M edicare related person who called you would not be offended if you didn't speak to them. Also if you had called them and they needed to call back, they would tell you when and who would be calling. There was something else she told me that seemed important but I can't remember it right now.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I had a nice person to help me instead of someone who had a bad day and made me feel like a total idiot. I also know that I learn from my mistakes and never make the same one twice.

So the moral of this story is NEVER give your M edicare number to anyone over the phone and only to medical professionals, so that you don't have to deal with a situation like this.

Tomorrow I am going to call the administrative number of our Police Dept. so they can notify the newspaper and hopefully prevent someone else from being scammed.

I am sure hoping I don't lose this post.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:24 am

(((Lilac)))
Don’t feel too bad — I actually gave my cc number over the phone once and just about lost my mind when I realized what I had done. It was to some charity, I think. I immediately called them back and yes, it was legit, but oooohhh... I was SICK over that!
Now I rarely even answer a call from a number I don’t recognize. Of course, with them stealing legitimate caller id, it makes it VERY difficult.
You certainly did the right thing and I’m so glad you got it straightened out quickly!

On the topic of phone numbers...
Dmom is changing her phone number, after over 50 years with the same number.
This bothers me a little bit. ???
She is bundling everything with her cable company and she can keep her cell number, but not her landline. Sigh. It was her idea, not a scam call or anything.
She was still paying for ddad’s cell phone plus 2 for herself with V erizon (old phone which is now lost, and the iPhone she got 6 yrs ago.) and she finally just decided to take care of this and get it to s more reasonable cost. So... now I’ll have to get used to no one being able to get in touch with her. Sigh.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”