March Thoughts

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: March Thoughts

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:32 pm

I enjoy coming here and CUOP. It is one of my favorite times of the day.

We took DS10 to DD house late last night and he spent the night on her couch. He said he only slept 4 hours so I will have to remain aware that he is sleep deprived. DD brought both kids here about 10am along with 2 pizzas for them to eat.

I have been piddling with the indoor plants. Time seems to stand still while I'm doing daily watering, touching and pampering the plants. I transplanted 3 beets that had sprouted, put 2 more tomato plants on yo-yo's hanger, started another basil clone in Kratky method, washed another batch of the clay pebbles, mixed up some potting soil and put it on heater pad to warm up...and on and on and on. I have to make myself stop and walk away. I am so looking forward to warm weather!

Twins - Are you still using SAD light? Getting 30 minutes of exercise a day? When I'm in pain I tend to freeze and not want to move. Not moving leads me to depression. It is a hard cycle for me to break out of. (((Gentle hugs))))
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Twins, it is not the depression talking. You need complete rest for your jaw. Any pressure on your nerves transmits to your jaw. At least that is true for me when my jaw acts up.

As for regaining energy, it came back for me although it is still a daily effort to maintain it.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:15 pm

Down time is a good idea for a lot of us it seems.
I am back from the s ew ing room, had lunch and did a small draw string pouch.
I amn learning a lot with this project as I have not made one before.
It is cute but smaller than I thought it would be. :mrgreen:
I used a piuzza round for the pattern the next one will be bigger.

Planned left overs for lunch was a great idea.
I have 2 liads of laundry dry and folded now.
Got 2 more round bags done, I like the way the others cloise better however.
Cleared off the last bit of ice off the deck and cleared a bit of a trail for the dog in the back yard.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:45 pm

The first concert was delightful. It is part of the family series so everything, including the length is geared for kids. Fun music plus improv and musical improv. Second City sent the improv actors.

We have 3 hours before we need to be back here. Time to go for a walk around downtown. We don't have Cathy's weather so it is a good enough day for a walk. Not cold or too windy but no sun.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 pm

Twins' - Can't be depression any more than a person with a broken arm trying to protect it in its sling could be depression. It's self-preservation that interestingly results in some anti-social behavior. People are unpredictable and you instinctively know that while you're getting over this last tough bout you don't want to interact a lot with those who have no idea what would help or hurt. And if you should have pain, you also don't want to be around those who won't understand. Now, a different question is, can you feel depressed because you have had such a difficult time - sure, that could happen. Whether or not that fits a category of "depression" itself would be for a pro to give their opinion, or 2 pros to give two opinions that don't match, etc.

I think it's smart to grab that appt when you could. More info is a good thing. I'm not so sure that being in the middle of a flare-up would be good at the endodontist, anyway. You can explain the hows and wheres and have a calmer appt. Creative time - I know you said nothing looks good to you, but as long as it is never tedious (run from tedious like the plague for fear of jaw-tensing, I assume) and might give you a little smile, I say keep it up. There's fun in them there cards - mine it out. I'm very grateful to M. We need extra IRL eyes on you, so good for her. ;)

Donna L, that's so frustrating that you are dealing with this. Clorox bleach dilution is supposed to do the trick, yes. I guess keep at it? wish there were just convenient wipes that did the trick :( Wise of you to avoid family.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 pm

dearest twins - dd and I belong to a chronic pain group on facebook and it is not at all unusual to have depression (hopelessness) because of consistent pain. There is also ptsd with not knowing when it will happen again. do they talk to you about the mcGill pain index at all.

dd has done well (doesn't mean the pain goes away - nerve pain is horrible as you know) with meditation, bio feedback, heat and pressure but sometimes the pain is so great that she can't breath. Stress can start the process, the brain doesn't get the signal that the pain sensations should stop as you probably know.
dd can't take pain bills bc it causes the body to make more nerve endings which increases the pain.

what I am trying to say is that it is hard to live with a pain disorder and it can cause depression. It is not unusual at all and it is always good to find a therapist that understands pain disorders. I would take the appointment. it's important that your pain dr. is aware of your recent flare.

I am praying for you sweet twins!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Today we went on the hunt for the diatomaceous earth We didn't find that, although the store's computer stated that they had 6 in stock. Dh and I have both gotten so dismayed about the ant situation that dh bought an ant killer and ant nest destroyer all in one can with a nozzle to get it down into cracks. We also got a multi pack of ant traps with 12 in the package. We came home and he got right to work wiping and spraying and putting down traps. After a discussion, we also pulled out the stove and wiped and cleaned and swept and sprayed. To my surprise and delight the sides of the oven were almost spotless. I cleaned both sides any way.

To my absolute surprise and delight, dh is not blaming or shaming me in any way. It brings tears to my eyes because I'm not used to being treated like this. Ever. In my whole life. First by my dad, then my first husband and then Mike. Wayne learned at a very young age that mistreating women wasn't nice. I'm so lucky. I really am. When I hear about saving the best for last, I know what it truly means.
Last edited by CathyS on Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Dh and I had a lovely tour of the new Canadian Senate's home. Our Centre Block, home to Parliament is under renovation for the next ten years so both chambers have been moved to new locations.

We were walking by the senate building and the guard asked if we wanted a tour. There was one starting in 10 minutes so we took it!

Then I had a beavertail and then dinner.

This concert is as good as the afternoon one but in a completely different way.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:23 pm

From standing in our seats to leave, to walking in our front door was 40 minutes. I enjoyed cooling off outside while waiting for the bus. I was very warm all day.

The snow started while we were in the Senate building. When we left dinner, it was a magical evening with the snow gently falling and the skaters on the canal below, illuminated with the lights strung up around the concessions. In good weather, I like that walk to the Arts Centre. In poor weather it is hit by either the west wind or the north wind as we cross the bridge. But tonight it was magical.

The Beatles concert was very good. But my brain is fuzzy now. I still have church tomorrow morning (at a church with an organ) and a movie in the afternoon (a musical.) I've put my noise cancelling headphones by my purse. I forgot them today so just had ear plugs. I didn't need even those once the first concert started despite being right in front of the orchestra. That's because we were in front of the speakers. Tonight, we were hit by the wall of sound plus it was rock music so quite loud. At times I could see the strings working hard but not able to hear them at all.

It was the same concert master for both concerts and many of the same musicians. Quite the mental switch from Beethoven and Mozart to the Beatles.

I'm trying to settle my brain now and then I'll head off to bed. I've had my nighttime vitamins and a bowl of berries. Plus I'm physically tired. I walked over 4 miles today.

Return to “Post When You Can”