Conga Friday - do you hear the music - PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Conga Friday - do you hear the music - PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Dd came over with the kids this morning. Just before a neighbour dropped by with a problem but I opted to advise but not get involved. Another tenant's husband has left her and she doesn't have a job and doesn't know what to do. I said refer her to immigrant services or her church, either will get her culturally appropriate help.

Hopefully, I've avoided getting caught up in that drama, I have enough of my own right now.

Dd met with S and A and the babyA and they had a good visit. There were a lot of phone calls to A as family are making their way to the city for mourning. There's no planned service (A's father's wish) which leaves everyone at loose ends. There's a reason we have death rituals. It isn't for the dead. Anyway, we managed to provide moments of relief with something approaching normal for A (talking about babies) along with asking questions about his family (so he brought out some pictures).

DgsM2 was adorable and dgdJ0 (who is 2 months younger than babyA) was really taken with babyA. I was holding dgd who was cooing away at babyA, who was pulling on my shirt trying to get me to take her from her mom. That endeared me to her parents since babyA was so anxious for me to take her and seemed almost jealous of dgd.

Dd mentioned how I had sent a photo of babyA asleep in dh's arms to her saying we were training to be able to babysit dgd. S was amazed that dd didn't leave dgd with us all the time! "But your parents are so good with babies!"

It has been quiet here and I have all the toys and baby things to clean up but I was taking a break. I got the dishwasher started and dinner is planned. Dh suggested a walk so I'm waiting for a break point for him. It should have started snowing by now and it has clouded over (it was lovely this morning) but no precipitation yet. We are expecting a couple of inches in what we hope is the last gasp of winter.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:53 pm

I have been cooking. Got the meat loaf and meat balls done. Trying to decide if I should cook the chicken thighs today or tomorrow.Got the burger patties frozen an bagged up.The meat ball s are a hit!

The grass is a bit wet for yard work outside. Modified my boots but they leak.
Got the swing set move out to the street nieghbors are going to take it back, yea!
Dd was here this afternoon we had a nice walk and good talk.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:12 pm

Kitchen spiffing today. A finish on our Desk Day, too.

Also dropped HRH off to pick the car up. Went by grocery while HRH went on another errand. Dd helped me unload those.

It's a big laundry day for dd.

Dd's reception took the wind from her sails yesterday. She got home carrying her high heels and fell face-first onto the couch.

It was a big success with overflow crowd, very congenial group that kept the place humming and social for hours. She was recognized from the podium by a former professor who made one of the speeches. She had staged every area herself except one, carrying a hammer and nails around for 3 days. This would give my dmother nightmares :lol: . My mom always worried about placing a nail in the wrong spot, so she seldom picked one up at all! (plaster walls)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:10 pm

awe about dd and pure exhaustion!
such a happy and exciting event!

today's zones took longer than I had planned but phew it is done!
I left one zone work out... straightening my pie cabinet in front until next time around.

a good tired but tired.

waving to all.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Power of attorney for the car notarized and sent. Because I was at a bank, I asked about their car loans. They won't lend for over 10 yo or 125k miles (unless classic). Minimum loan amount is 7500 and I don't plan on needing THAT much. Did get some sound advice on car buying: (1) It's not like a house. Don't tell a dealership you can pay cash, they make money off the loans. (2) Tell them you are pre-approved even if you are not.

That being said, my last loan was from the dealership and had 1.99% APR, much lower than the bank's.

Gotta get back to a Medicaid report.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Elizabeth: it is so counter-intuitive about not telling them you'll pay cash. I know this (i.e. you have not been steered wrong) but it goes against every fibre of good financial planning I've ever learned. We're in the same spot of paying cash. Because I plan on trading my car every 7 years, the salesman assumed that's when my lease was up. No, the car is mine. Later he asked what lien was left on the car. None, we pay cash for our cars. Oooops, let the cat out of the bag, no deal for me!

The recent piece of advice I read was to take the loan from the dealer (if they are 'open' and you can pay them off without penalty at any time) and then pay the car off within a month. That way you get the savings of the 'loan' with just a bit more hassle than paying cash.

Dh and I walked over to the store for milk (and apparently $44 of other things!) and so I'll get steps in for today. The snow started just before dinner. We'll only get an inch but it will hopefully be enough to continue our streak of most number of days with at least 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. We are tied at first place in the weather records currently - 144 days with snow on the ground. Our last day without snow on the ground was November 13. It has been 149 days since the temperature has been above 50. That isn't a first place record (it is 18th currently) and they say we will get over 50 tomorrow but they've lied to us so often this winter I've given up believing anything they say (for instance the snow was to start early afternoon and we were to get 2 - 3" but we'll barely get one inch.)

Rumour has it we'll have a 10" snowfall late next week. Or it will come as rain. Tonight's forecast is for snow, fog, rain, sleet, and freezing rain. They have no idea what the weather will be so just list everything.

I have to clean up the kitchen still and then I'll head to bed.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:07 pm

Today I trimmed my hair 2" closer to being free of the last color I did in the summer.

I mowed the front yard first time this evening finished just before a clap of thunder that sent the dog to the safe interior room.
I picked up the back hoping to get it mowed tomorrow.
We have winds in the forecast tonight, and rain tomorrow afternoon.

Dinner is over dishwasher is loaded.
Kitchen could ues a bit more of a spiff.
I painted a few rocks tonight.

Return to “Post When You Can”