a New day... Sunday - PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: a New day... Sunday - PWYC

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:16 pm

hello all,

hi d dee blueberry waffles sound wonderful!

hi d cathy yay on finding your scissors!

hi d nancy! hope you get sunshine this week!

hi d twins! oh my gosh - sounds like my dh!

hi d everyone!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:58 pm

I am having a quiet day. I tried stamping for a bit but everything went wrong - I spilled glue and ruined the card I was working on, laid aside cardstock on top of a stamp that still had ink on it, nothing looked right.

I'm hoping dh will go to grocery for a couple of things for me - we need buns for the burgers tonight, unless he got some at Costco....

I think I'll read for a while.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:16 pm

We did away with any cable a couple of years ago, Blessed. Now we have a R O K U & subscribed to H U L U. I also added H allmark M ovies N ow. I've not been the least disappointed that we did that. I've probably watched more movies than I have in years. I was spending a lot on books from A -river (on my k indle/ipad). I'm rereading quite a few but not purchasing as many as in earlier times. The HMN is costing us $4.99 a month so I'm finding myself saving quite a bit over time. Still do a lot of reading however -just not buying so many new ones.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:11 pm

What are you reading?
Did 30 min. On stat bike it is raining outside.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:03 pm

A lot of what I've been reading are Amish series, Nancy. I do read others, but that's it for right now.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:21 pm

Reminder to everyone, many libraries now have extensive online offerings. You can download e-books to read, audio books to listen to, and they have access to some streaming services as well. I've never bought an online book but check them out from the library.

That said, I have a dead-tree book to pick up from the library. My name finally came to the top of the hold list. We didn't make it yesterday because we got off late to ds's so didn't have time to stop to pick it up on the way there. Starting tonight we have 24 hours of freezing rain so I'm not sure I'll get there or to Lenten Study Group tomorrow. We'll see.

I'm getting really far behind on stuff. I just sit around and do the emergency stuff. That's it.

We had a delightful dinner at ds's new house with his GF and her parents. It was 'meet the parents' night. They are lovely. She's 10 years younger than me, he's just a couple of years younger. Many parallels. We found out the GF is a year younger than we thought (we thought 20, she turns 20 next month.) The mom admitted she likes ds but the age difference is causing her pause. No kidding.

On the other hand, the mom's father like ds because ds was over there when he was recovering from surgery to run errands and help out and the old guy felt he was a good young man. So that meant a lot to the mom. And the dad likes ds a lot because ds is learning wood working and building and this guy is a jack of all trades (with two girls.) Ds is good about listening to elders and taking their advice (most of the time) so the dad wants to come over and help ds hang kitchen cabinets.

The mom also couldn't get used to seeing her dd as the hostess, doing the adulting stuff. I was surprised but on the way home realized I've been doing this over a decade longer than her. I wrote her when I got home and said I wasn't being cavalier, I'm just used to it. I also said that I've only known her daughter as an adult and she's been a good influence on ds in many ways so she seems to be holding her own in the relationship.

Anyway, it was a good evening and I look forward to more. With ds and the GF living equal distance from both of us, I suspect ds's will be the place where family gatherings often take place. Already the mom says we should do it again but this time with the full extended family (grandpa, sister, dd and her family.)

It was a rough night last night so I just realized that may have been part of my inertia today.

I got off to church and enjoyed it. Got home at noon, stopping in at the grocery store on the way.

I had a light lunch and then we went for a long walk since it wasn't too cold. Except I walked with my coat open and now I have a chesty cough and slight sore throat. I know they aren't really related and I was hot, not being dumb, but still I'm sad I'm coming down with something. I took extra vitamin B and will take extra vitamin C with bed.

Dh was congested through the night so he thought we got it at ds's but it turns out dgs is sick. So that will be where we got it from the Friday visit. Dd wanted to set up a sleepover but I want to wait until I feel better.

During the walk we knocked off 3 errands. And I shopped for a new car by checking out every station wagon we saw. We live in the urban outfitter neighbourhood (this is the mecca for people who live in the urban area but like to hike or bike) so I saw almost every available model including the Volvo V60 wagon. It was hilarious. The Suburu Outback was the most common with the Mazda 3 probably next most common. Ds has an Outback and we love it but the gas mileage isn't what I was hoping for. I've been checking out the Audi and BMW websites since they had models in the right size. And we saw the VW Gold wagon in real life as well.

I need to start up a spreadsheet with the sizing on it so we make sure we are comparing apples to apples. The Volvo is really low so I suspect we won't like it as much as we like our Prius since you sit up in that. On the other hand, we don't want a car we have to climb up into. The Volvo has more space inside than we have now, so that is actually a plus and minus. We only have about 3" to spare in the parking spot so we can't get a much bigger car. On the other hand, we don't want a smaller car, this is the smallest we can manage for road trips.

We picked up pizza later and watched an episode of TV (we've started on Broadchurch) then wasted the evening.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:25 pm

d twins I have had that. it's better to stop and start another day. it's frustrating!
enjoy your reading d dee!
thank you for the reminder about the library d kathryn!

I went through my loose recipe pages and got rid of 1/2 and the rest are now in the thin binders.

praying for parent wisdom - wish i had a a crystal ball at times to see which path to go on that would be best

time to put away the 2 books away.
recycling paper now.

watched the BBC 1940's house. I had forgotten about it. it was fun to listen to while I worked.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:36 pm

I'm way behind as far as cuop -- sorry -- nothing is really going on.
Of course, yesterday evening was pretty miserable around here as our Cinderella basketball season came to a bitter end. If you didn't see it, the final 5-10 seconds changed everything and it was kinda controversial, even according to the tv announcers. (Pronouncers, as dgs calls them, LOL.) But, anyway... it was a good run while it lasted.

I think the last time I posted was Thursday? After dgd left here Friday, I slept away most of the rest of that day, and then yesterday, dmom and I went to a funeral visitation early in the day. A family friend from our old church -- he had had a stroke, and lots of other health problems over the past years. Dmom grew up with his wife, and I grew up with his daughters.
Later I went and got dgs and he spent the night.

Today has been an ordinary Sunday. Preacher made a little joke about the game, which irritated dh, me, and dh's cousin at least. He wouldn't have made "that little gesture" (as the cousin put it) if HIS team had lost like that. I am so tired of this preacher.

DGD is spending the night tonight. DDIL has (she HOPES) a short day at school tomorrow. I told dgd we might go out to dmom's for a little while. Dmom has a little chair that she received from her aunt and uncle on her first Christmas, which she just had re-caned. The people at the shop wanted to get a picture of it for their website (and of course they could have taken one at the shop) but dmom did NOT want a picture of herself suggested we take pictures with the kids, "while we are all in our Easter finery." Well, that ain't happening b/c first, it is almost impossible to get dh to go anywhere in his Sunday finery any day and second, I'm pretty sure we won't do any sort of Easter celebration this year b/c ds will be out of town that Sunday (which is irritating to ddil, but that's another paragraph. She's not irritated at ds, just at band leaders who schedule shows on holidays.) (And third, I do not expect to have any special Easter finery this year, anyway. I'll probably just wear a bright colored top, instead of my usual gray/white/black.) ANYWAY, when we picked up dgd tonight, she still had on her dress from this morning, and I just love it -- it's a pink and blue gingham check seersucker and I think it would look great in pictures with the antique chair.

Other than that, I have no real plans for tomorrow.

Hope you all have a great week!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”