Planting seeds Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Planting seeds Friday

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:32 pm

I was going to say I love having our spare bed raised
I was in the same 'bed', Kathryn, so don't feel bad. :lol: I too had to finish reading the paragraph.

Harriet, just a note for you. I just ordered two books of Forever stamps. It honors "First Responders". I was thinking of ordering some extras to give our 2 dss families for Christmas. Dang! Should have ordered them all at once. It's a $1.30 'shipping' but I figured I'd use that in gas to get to the post office -if they even had them in stock.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 pm

home again, home again, jiggty jig.

I have a heart echo test next tuesday. Yay

off to do the next thing.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Will be thinking of you Tuesday, Blessed. I'm writing it down right now so I don't forget -like that could happen. :roll:

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Pouring rain here.

We have mostly raised beds for the vegetable gardens out back. Flowers and greenery (? ivy and bushes) are still on the ground. Dh wants to "fix" the front gardens this year. He has noticed that the black landscaping fabric has all started coming out from under the mulch. He thought he was doing the right thing by making his own "staples" to hold down the fabric but... weeds found holes to come up through! (I didn't say anything at the time.) He has to figure some things out for himself and all of the gardening is "his" thing.

Dh has decided that he doesn't want spaghetti for supper. He said he would get his own supper. He is rather insistent that I go to bingo. Most likely because of the huge jackpot. I'm trying to figure out what I want to eat.

I ran the Roomba. A load of dishes got done in the dishwasher. I am now doing my laundry for the week. Every time I go past the island, I clear something off of it. In other words, I move something to another room. Some of the stuff actually got put away! Other things did not. Like the 3 boxes of large freezer bags. Those came into the pantry and they aren't put away yet.

Bedroom is uncluttered except for dh's night stand, which is his space. I'm not touching it.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Kathryn can you see the fire at the Byward Market from your place?? There are pictures on FB. Wow!
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 pm

I made my lunch and ate it and washed up the dishes that can't go in the dishwasher. So the kitchen is tidy again.

I should put away the vacuum since I won't need it again until Monday after the work is done. I feel like I should give the living room a slipshod vacuum but I'm sure that will aggravate my cough. I have a hot bean-bag on now to try and loosen up the congestion. I just noticed I should probably take another decongestant now. It's been 6 hours. I don't know if it helps but it doesn't hurt and will perk me up. I need to head that direction anyway because I have to pee again. I'm drinking a lot of water and that's going through me.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm eating a very late lunch, Twins. Just having some homemade cabbage soup. That's my 'go to' meal. And I really like it as long as I add grated cheese. I usually make a very large batch & freeze several containers.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Mulling what to do re raised beds.....We are having friends for dinner Sunday p.m. and I'm feeling like a "command performance" is in the works.

This made me think of the astonishing, amazing raised garden beds I saw last Saturday night. I was fascinated by them which lead me to wonder how they did it. So......while we were waiting to be seated I unobtrusively as possible looked closer at the garden beds and flowers. What I discovered was it was a raised bed filled with containers of flowers and then covered with a pretty mulch that hides the containers.
It was like smoke/mirrors magic trick to me. How simple of a setup but oh so stunningly beautiful. It probably took them less than 30 minutes to place the containers and cover the tops of them in mulch creating a masterpiece.

DS10 has 3 friends here playing. I love that he has such a good peer group living near us.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:07 pm

I had a nice raised veggie garden. DH has decided he wants to take the wood around the perimeter out of there because it is beginning to rot, and he wants to remove the plastic underneath. He's been shoveling a lot of the dirt into some shallow spots in the back yard grass to level it better. I should be planting in there, but can't with all this going on. There's a lot of outside work needing done.

Discovered why I was so tired the other day. My "plumbing" backed up again and I can usually trace that to something I've eaten (nuts and seeds in particular) but for once I can't figure it out. However, it is getting better. Just another thing I must manage in my life. It's exhausting to go about life with cramps for hours and hours and hours.

But, the good news (crossing my fingers) is we managed to get through the winter without any colds and flu. So far so good.

Dinner's in the crockpot. Smells good. I've begun working on the backlog in the freezer. It's needing a good sorting out.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:32 pm

With our raised beds, the sides are solid wood from shipping containers or fence boards that dh ran through a planer to take off the weathered wood and then he stained them. The bottom of the container hides stuff like pieces of broken patio stones, rocks, pieces of punky wood that can't be burned because it's too old. I think there might even be other organic stuff in there like leaves or straw. Then there is old dirt from some raised beds from the previous year that we decided to move. On top is a lot of dirt from bags because dh got something like 40 or 50 bags for $1 each at either Wal mart or Cana dian Tire or some other big box store that was clearing them out.

Around here, stuff is more expensive before Mother's Day and the long weekend to celebrate Victoria Day because everybody plants after mid May. Towards the end of June the garden places are packing it in for another year and selling the remaining stock for greatly reduced prices.

Dh came home from work early. He is doing the tires on the car that he had booked in for tonight. He might decide to come to bingo. I had just finished a large tuna sandwich with green onions mixed in with the mayo and salt and pepper.

Laundry has been switched over to the dryer.

Blast the trumpets because....

THE ISLAND IS NOW CLEAR!!
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”