Good Friday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Good Friday PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 am

I always wondered why today was called 'Good' Friday.

I can spin an answer but in all honesty, that's spin. For those of you who follow the Christian faith, I wish you a quiet day of reflection.

In this province, it is a statutory holiday with almost everything shut down. That reflects the Christian focus of our colonial founders.

In Quebec, across the river from me, it is a regular day and Monday is the stat holiday, because that is a non-religious day off. That reflects the active secularization of the province which broke away, sometimes violently, from all things Christian during the Quiet Revolution as they fought the heavy yoke of the Catholic Church. (The history of the power of the church in rural Quebec is interesting but shocking and it is no wonder that so many are so solidly anti-religion there, as a people they were badly exploited and abused.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Good Friday PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:14 am

I woke up at 6, having not been up at all through the night. Went pee and fell asleep for another 90 minutes, then popped up for the day.

I think I'm coughing less today. My head sinuses are much clearer but my lungs are still badly congested. My breathing is rattly when I'm lying down.

Still I'm feeling a bit of energy.

I've just finished breakfast and will get dressed now.

The rain was holding off until about 20 minutes ago and is heavy plus there's a thunderstorm. I had already decided walking outside in the rain was probably a bad idea so I won't go out to the Village for their Good Friday service (we process from church to church, down main street, with the cross and I love that service since it helps one physically experience the story.)

Dh will help me return the car to normal (the tires are still in it) when he's done his morning routine which will be in about 90 minutes. If I was going, I'd be leaving in 10 minutes so obviously he wasn't thinking of me when he set up his plans for today.

I will work on paperwork today. I opened up the mail this morning and found yet another tax slip (not related to the investment that caused me so much grief.) It was another reminder that I'm not 'behind' in getting my taxes done because I don't have enough information to file my return until at 10 days before the return is due. This is exactly why I cannot travel at this time of year. I see people who do their taxes in February or March but I can't due the mix of our investments.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:32 am

thank you for such a lovely start to our day of reflection d kathryn.

Hope your chest cold gets better fast. praying.

hello to all
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:40 am

As my family is going through some growing, I can honestly say that a day of peaceful reflection is perfect for me today.
Looking at the good that struggles can bring and the lessons they can teach. (plus the blessing that besides tremendous growth that they don't last forever even though for the very young it seems that way).

today I am hoping to get my errands done - lol I should check my checking account first. :D
dd older, I believe, will be coming here for the Easter weekend as the party is near our house.

wishing everyone a blessed day!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:30 am

I had a good night sleep and woke before the alarm. DGD7 slept until 8:30 which is unusual for her.

This is homeschool Day #160. The excitement is starting to build. Only 20 more school days until DS10 completes 180 days of school and moves to 6th-grade status! This is the halfway point. He will have completed 7 years of school and have 7 more years to go in order to graduate high school.

I found one of the freezer doors ajar. This is a refrig/freezer unit located in the garage. It appears things have melted at the top of the freezer and dripped down and then refroze. I can't deal with it right now so I just made sure the freezer door is fully shut.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:40 am

Good morning everyone. The last time I went to a Good Friday service it was so sombre (most of them are) that I was so terribly "down" that I have never gone to another one. I do try to keep the event in mind as I go through my day. We have plans for Easter, our sunrise service at church where I have offered to usher and DH will be in the kitchen with the men cooking the pancake breakfast for afterward. They are having that breakfast after the 9:00 service also. His niece has invited us out so we'll have lunch with his family in the afternoon.

I haven't been posting much but I've been reading every day. Now that I've gotten comfortable driving again, even driving in the dark, I've been out shopping quite a lot. All my clothes, slacks especially are out of style badly and I've been hunting slacks and out for other stuff too. My stiff joints get stiffer and sore when I do a lot of walking on hard floors so I've been tired in the evenings....

Came across someone's cell phone in a parking lot on Wednesday and we tried to call the number on the label but of course that was the number of the lost phone... So yesterday DH got into the address book and started calling people and got the daughter and then the husband. Last evening he came to retrieve the phone and we sat for a couple hours and visited with a very interesting man. Now we don't drink much if anything at all but he brought us a very nice bottle of wine which we will keep for when someone comes who enjoys that....

I am doing some sewing too and that takes up a bunch of time...

DGSon and girlfriend are driving down from college for the weekend and we are having bad weather and alerts on the northern part of our state...all the area where they will be driving, so I'm a bit worried about all that, but they are smart kids, so...

Have a wonderful, thoughtful day!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:49 am

I let dd's issues get to me yesterday and get me into a really lousy mood. Going to see Spamalot last night was a good antidote, but I'm still feel angry at the temple and our rabbi. I don't feel they are treating her right. I know I shouldn't let her issues with them get to me but I'm going "Mama Bear" and I know how dysfunctional the organization is in the first place. I shouldn't be so surprised, I guess.

bw2 said:
Looking at the good that struggles can bring and the lessons they can teach.
I need to remember this. I did brainstorm with her some about getting a meeting set up so they will address some issues. She keeps getting put off - dprez says to her "in two weeks" or "soon we'll get together" but it doesn't happen. She's repeatedly asked for a performance review, and it was announced at the board meeting (which she attends) that all other employees got a raise at the first of the year. She hasn't had a raise since she started, and she has no contract or job security in her position. (A contract is customary in this type of position.) She doesn't have a job description. The office manager jerks her around by, for instance, having the furniture moved out of her classroom for the seder, when she had Hebrew to teach there on Wed. DD is attending the seder tonight, but office mgr haven't seated her with the rabbi and temple prez and their families, and can't guarantee that she will even sit with friends (and we aren't there for her.)

She did get a nice text from a temple family this a.m. - the young daughter wants to come to temple today to help dd get the things ready for children tonight. Instead of activities, she is providing things they can play with in their seats, slime, coloring, play frogs and other small things.

I have things I need to do out of the house today and I need to get moving. Have done all of a.m. routine except for s2s, which I'll do before we go out this evening. I need to pick up S tampin up stuff, see dmom and go to drugstore with coupons.

Tonight is the first night of Passover but we will skip a seder tonight. The temple seder is just too much - too many people, too crowded, too much drama - so we will go out for dinner with dfriends who are hosting the seder tomorrow night.

I need to go...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am

LadyM, we only have the refrigerator in the garage with the freezer on top, but we've found that the freezer doesn't close securely at times, especially if someone isn't paying attention to it. We keep a bungee cord on the handle to be sure it stays closed.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:58 am

Harmony - It is good to see your CI. You have been on my mind.

Homeschool is finished for the week.

I made a big pot of Spaghetti & meat sauce. We also have several leftovers in the refrig so I am not cooking more today.

The 3 D's - Dishes, Duds and Dinner are caught up. I can turn my attention somewhere else.

The pool is covered with leaves that were ripped off the trees during the storm last night. Using the long pole w/net to get the leaves out will be my next focus. I'm guessing that amount of leaves will fill the big net at least a half dozen times. My arms muscles are strong enough to do that much without taking a break so hopefully I can accomplish that task in one focused session. My reward will be time with the plants.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 pm

I was up before 5 w a low.
Journaling done.
Washer is good doing smal loads.
Sheets re ready to go back on the bed now.
I need a plan for dinner maybe what we did not have last nite.
No piece and quiet here some ones car alarm went off a couple of times.
Waving to every one.

Return to “Post When You Can”