Happy Passover - saturday pwyc

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Happy Passover - saturday pwyc

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:02 am

Austin Granny - hello hello!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:02 am

heading out to order large box of coffee
ta ta until a bit later.

good day to all of you!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:50 am

I walked the ddog with dfriend M, made myself breakfast of fried eggs, refried beans a little cheese, and took meds. Off to the grocery and a drugstore next. I also need a battery for my fitbit. I have the low tech kind that one doesn't recharge but changes out the battery now and then. It doesn't count stairs but it's small and I clip it to the waistband of my undergarments and it works perfectly.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:54 am

Finished the data entry for the taxable brokerage account. That seemed to take forever but there was the 2 day delay in there dealing with one transaction.

I still have 10 years (!) of data entry to do until I'm caught up but these aren't taxable so there's no rush. Of course, the reason there are 10 years to enter is because I've been ignoring them since they aren't taxable. Also, we're setting up dh's to start paying him funds therefore it has to be up to date so I can enter the rollover to both taxable and paying into our bank account. These 3 non-taxable accounts are our retirement savings. We are allowed to put money in tax-free and it grows tax-free but at retirement (or death of the last surviving spouse) we have to pay taxes. So we have vast sums of money but they hopefully would be equal to what a person who had a pension plan would get.

Unlike those who have a pension plan, we have to keep track of it all and manage it ourselves. I'm envious of people with government jobs. Dsil gets a pension, paid paternity leave of a year, weeks of paid holidays and sick leave plus medical, dental and disability insurance. Ds has none of that (no holidays isn't paid if he is sick, no medical or dental insurance and will struggle in his retirement on just the base government pension that will barely cover the costs of keeping his home, assuming it is paid off by then and he hasn't had to borrow against it to handle medical costs somewhere across the line. Both work for the government but our medical system is allowed to keep people in casual positions (no guaranteed hours and no benefits) for years. And that's where ds is stuck. That's why I worry about using up all our money because it would be nice if we could leave something to ds when we die and I don't quite feel right leaving an unequal amount (although that is what my dad did, for the same reason.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:58 am

Posting from exercise bike.
Heading to a meeting in while at the library on bee keeping.
H.is up.
I need to remember to get food out of the deep freezer for tomorrow. X

Waving to all.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 pm

lucylee, I'm glad you got a respite from some childcare duty and hope dh feels better soon.

Nancy, that's an interesting subject.

Twins', how did dd's evening go? I hope your family finds meaningful times today.

We've had company twice so far today, so I'm glad I'd gotten up and started in to straightening the living areas right away. Dsecondbil came by to chat and the young man came to pick dd up and stayed a while. Either of these could be considered non-company, really, and both know we have a topsy-turvy living area sometimes because of the current situation, lol. But I like having a calmer, more easily understood living room for them, at least! HRH is pressed into sleeping 3 different places a night, and the LR looks it.

On that subject, the futon in the LR, however attractive (same fabric as the recliner), is not the big hit with us that it was a month or two ago. When HRH needs to lie on it, the bar down the middle is like a "princess and the pea" situation, for sure. I'm considering just giving in to our current needs and buying a twin mattress to set onto it, "making it up" as a daybed for a while. Some mattresses sold these days would be hard on the futon, I know. We might just have to give it up and admit that we can't keep furniture nice forever, especially when there's an overriding problem we're solving.

Well, I had other things to say but HRH's mother is calling him now.
Sounds like she wants to come, too. Off to try to spif a little more.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 pm

I managed a shower. I usually put in the plug (so my feet get a soaking while I shower) but today I left it out and I could put my foot up on the ledge when I needed to stop the water from hitting it.

I'm dressed but no shoes. I do have socks on and a piece of gauze over the blister to protect it more if I put on shoes (or more likely my winter boots since the top of my foot doesn't hit the top of the foot box in those.)

The river is rising slowly. We have certain things to watch for around the islands and they've started to happen. I'm taking photos from the same position every few hours. The seawall is still holding but is looking smaller now. The neighbourhood which flooded 2 years ago (and our peak should be the same as that flood) is fine for now. The flood 2 years ago happened quickly because the neighbourhood storm system drains into the river but the river got higher than the drain and valves to shut off that weren't closed so the river started to backflow through the storm sewers into the neighbourhood. At least that was the assumption. The flood happened over a matter of hours, I hadn't even noticed until I saw the flashing lights of the trucks dumping sand.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Oy vey, I stopped a drugstore for the fitbit battery and had a successful grocery run. While there got a drugstore text about a script so went on to pick it up also and it was the one I requested on Thursday. At the same time I sent a message asking for a refill of the Trigeminal neuralgia meds at a lower dosage since I've been doing well. I should understand by now that sending the message isn't a great way to get in touch with them, so I just went back into the online app and entered the script I need in the "Other" category. So we'll see if that works.

I got the veggies I needed and need to get started with the roasting. The recipe suggests that they not touch while roasting so I'll have to two two shifts in the oven, at least. They only take about 30 min but there's the slicing and mincing garlic too.

I just texted dd - her Amazon delivery came late yesterday afternoon, and I want to hear about last night too!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi.

Although I read a lot of the posts, I don't always comment on them.

Dh took me to a hot dog "stand" (it's inside now, but wasn't always) that has been in business near Hamilton since 1930. We had a very filling lunch. All of the hotdogs are "foot longs".

It has been raining here since yesterday. All of the ditches that I've looked at have been full, with a lot of standing water in the fields as well. A lot of local farm ponds are over their banks.

No idea about supper. last night we had a pork roast with potatoes, onions and carrots roasted around it. There are left overs, but just enough for a side dish for breakfast.

I didn't go to knitting today.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Home from several successful activities.

** Egg hunt went well. DGD7 had a great time with nothing but happy memories. DS10 decided that he was too old to hunt eggs even though there is a 10 to 12-year-old group. He asked if he "had" to do it. We discussed how he has enjoyed many years of egg hunts and those are solid good memories. if he is ready to turn loose of that yearly childhood activity, then I support his decision. I wonder if DS10 is also done with trick-n-treating.....but that will be decided at a later date.
** Gas into SUV. It was below 1/4 tank and under 80 miles left. It took 27 gallons to fill it back up. It is rare that I let it get that low.
** Farmers Market. It was busier than I've ever seen it. We got a 11lb ham (organic raised & grass fed) for tomorrow's meal. I wanted to get some fresh bread and dessert from the German lady but she was sold out. I had a good conversation with DS10 pediatrician. We both love to garden so we compared pics of plants and discussed methods and plans.
** Italian Resturant - We meet DGS21 there to celebrate his birthday. I offered to cook his favorite meal or take him out to his choice of restaurants today or tomorrow. This is what he picked. He had to go to work this afternoon so he was dealing with a time constraint.
** Low*e's - the parking lot was absolutely packed. We had to drive back/forth to get a parking spot. We loaded up 300lb of garden stuff and then stood in line for about 10 minutes to pay for it. crazy busy!
** Sam*'s - we only bought what was on our shopping list but it resulted in another big cartload. Our SUV was packed tight.

Everything has been unloaded & brought inside. A few things remain to be repackaged & put away but I needed to take a break.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”