Sunday PWYC questions

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Sunday PWYC questions

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:05 pm

"If you woke up tomorrow morning and had only the things you were grateful for today, how would your life be different?"

Excellent reminder. I tend to take things for granted. Breathing, walking, sight, hearing, having a roof overhead, etc, etc, etc '

The new might wear off soon but for now, the kids are having fun with the daily question. DS10 gave a clear explanation along with a show-n-tell of his calluses. DGD7 is an overachiever. She gave an oral answer, showed her own calluses, provided a paper with written summary and also shared a video explaining calluses in detail.

May has been planned on the calendar. I'm getting excited about the end of public school and extracurricular activities coming to an end.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 pm

waving from Monday

Sunday church. chatted with some folk after, then walked home.
Got caught up in K for a bit at least.

Monday.
Someone turned out the sunny day in Kathryns live webcam. I could see water moving and lights at least. Not many lit buildings on the right.

yoga
lift home
lunch just happened
I need to get otd to afternoon mtg.
Someone turned out the sun here too and its at might sprinkle setting.

poof
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:14 pm

I'm exhausted. Dh is still washing dishes. There has got to be a better way to deal with dishes between courses but with dgs around, I haven't figure it out. Logically, as things are dished up, the pots should be rinsed and put into the dishwasher along with other dishes used in prep. Anything that doesn't fit goes into soak. Then between main and dessert, the plates and any emptied serving dishes are loaded, dessert comes out, the dishwasher is started and the door to the kitchen shut to cut the noise.

But no-one is doing the first step and while ds and I put the main course dishes into the washer, nothing had been is soak so everything had dried onto the pots, therefore there was no use putting them into the dishwasher and running it.

Without a place to put away the food, the kitchen further backed up after dessert. I thought dh was dealing with it but something distracted him and hours later when everyone had gone, the table was not clear, the dishwasher still needed loading and the food had now dried not only onto the pots but the silverware so it had to be soaked before it could be washed.

So he's still washing dishes. Ninety minutes after the last person left (but he did not sit with us while people were still here which is why I thought progress was being made on the kitchen.)

Not even the clean dishes in the drainer had been put away - that should have happened after the veggies were put on, so there was a place to put the knives and other slightly dirty things that could have been cleaned up at that point, leaving room on the counters to put the pots in soak. Once the grandkids get here, I'm pulled in too many directions and people do what I tell them to do but they don't do the extras. Or they don't do their assigned tasks because they are busy with kids for instance, I had to start the ham because dsil had the baby and the ham delayed sitting down because he was taking dgs to potty.

The gf sat with dgs at the table while things were put into serving dishes. He started first and finished last, stopping his main course (after 4.5 yorkshire puddings) only when the carrot cake appeared.

Dinner otherwise went well. The turkey wasn't overcooked (no-one thought to check it until I did even though dh knew it was to be done by 4:45.) There was enough stuffing. There was enough gravy and I didn't ruin it this time (I did last time we had the gf for dinner.) Conversation was good although the gf is trying to hard to keep up and interrupting at times to do so.

Ds was pleased I had a cake and candles and we sang for the gf. And I had a present for her. So it was a decent birthday celebration. She and I had a chat in the laundry room while I did a temporary fix on her dress. Some of the sewing notions I had tossed out, she needed so she took them from my giveaway pile.

Before dinner, dgs and I went for a long walk to check on the flooding. It was interesting because two dump trucks came to drop off more sand. The water is now coming up the street sewers so they are building sandbag walls around all the sewers. It was interesting to watch a sewer and see the water level rise, overflow slightly and drain back down to below the grate. That's the wave motion from the river causing that.

This evening just before dark, dh called out to check out the parking lot by the bridge. The waves are now visibly coming in (before it was more seepage like.) Shortly after that, three trucks with sand arrived but it got dark before they left so I don't know if they dumped their loads by the parkway to protect it. No-one is working down there at the moment.

Peak isn't for another 36 hours or so.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:47 pm

Fighting a flu bug. Had a nap, made dinner, rinsed dishes off to load in dish washer later.
Covered plants put some in the potting shed, brought some inside to protect from frost.
Cut containers to cover others later or put plants in later.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:09 pm

Hmmm... .. wondering what blessed's "more later" will be since I was unable to get back yesterday for my "film at 11" thoughts on the concept of being a class act.

That happened because Ds and ddil tried to have me house-sit/babysit with sleeping children while they had date night last evening. Even though little C just couldn't sleep (she didn't know I was downstairs so it wasn't my presence), I'd spent about an hour over there and was still on schedule to visit my colorist if I'd forego computer time, so I did.

But it's interesting to me that "researching" in today's topic dovetails with my thoughts on being a class act, too. My researching (though still partially in health always, of course :) ) is centering more lately on women in the scriptures. Sadly, that's not easy because most English translations do such a lousy job of clarity regarding women, or it wouldn't require so much research. Clarity. I'll stick with that word but it could certainly be stronger. Part of my class act thoughts were on avoiding irritation :roll: in order to express what I learn in a gracious manner, without negativity. Anyway, our examples are more inspiring than I've ever been shown and though that's unfortunate for me, discovering more about them is joyous anyway.

The week ahead is anchored by a long visit we expect on Thursday from at least two of HRH's dcousins. That will be a little bit of a balancing act, depending on how everyone feels, since they sometimes don't feel so great themselves. I'm thinking dd can be here for some of the time, and she'll be a distraction... .. um, I mean she'll be interesting! ;)

I'll have to join Lynlee in waiting for more light to see Kathryn's video.

Feel better, Nancy and family!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Yep, video was dark for me to but I'll bet tomorrow it'll be light again.

We had a very busy Sunday. Church first where we had ushering duties. I stayed after people left to help clear all the pews and floors around them. Ushers are supposed to do that but typically only a couple of us do that. It took a while for everyone to get out of the church because this was the last sermon for Pastor who is retiring... and they had put an ad in the religious part of the paper...so there was a big crowd.

After lunch I made cookies and cut up 2 big pans of fruit to take to the potluck which was at 5:00. Of course, after 8, DH helped all the men put away all the round tables and racks of chairs, which was a pretty big job because we were over capacity for the building and tables were close together. They'd run out of space to put all the food on the long food table... I've never seen such a big crowd before. There were lots of people who came just to say goodbye, people who had quit coming or who had started going to other churches. We get several hundreds at our services and there are 3, a Sat. night, and 2 on Sunday Mornings.

So, I hope tomorrow will be a quieter day.

Calluses. LadyM, funny how the kids got into such a random subject! I had to check my feet to see how they were doing. I've been working on them every time in the shower with good old pumice stone.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 am

Harriet, it’s me with “more later.” (I apologize if I missed a cliffhanger on blessed’s post, though!)
Anyway, my part two is all in j&c.

I have decluttered the area around my nightstand, which was no small task, PLUS
Organized a TON of family geneology papers that were just scattered everywhere — got them all into a 3-ring-binder sorted by major family names... AND
started getting names and info written into dmom’s family Bible.
AND 3 loads of laundry!
Woo hoo for me!

PS — I got all this done while we were on the phone with ds! He and dh talked for TWO HOURS!!! He is driving home and they solved all the problems of the church, the Atlanta Braves, the music industry, and probably some other things while I moved in and out of the room. They were on speaker phone so I contributed bits and pieces to the conversation.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”