Tuesday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Tuesday PWYC

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:49 pm

I missed a lot yesterday, I think I quickly scanned but I had missed Kathryn's comments.

I got to Lowes and got two nicer basil plants. I'll get them in the ground in the morning when that area is in shade. I went ahead and got red geraniums and asparagus fern for the two front planters. I also needed light bulbs and I got a decoy owl to try to scare away the swallows. I feel sympathetic for them as a lot of their habitat has been destroyed and they do eat a lot of bugs, but my front porch isn't the place for them to live and build their nest and raise babies. (I might actually investigate getting a bird box that will attract them?)

Two houses on our circle have gone on the market this week - one last night and one where the sign is up but listing isn't online yet. That's in addition to one that's been for sale for months (we think she's asking way too much and won't give) and another that went on the market about a month ago. There haven't been houses for sale here in a couple of years.

I think I need a small nap. My tummy doesn't feel right yet and I know it's electrolyte and sodium/potassium balance and all that. One of my meds can cause low sodium anyway, although I'm on a smallish dose. While out I bought some potato chips and just ate, I've also had another gatorade with my water today, and a banana.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:55 pm

We call them skinks around here! But we get more of just the regular kind, whatever they're called. I know they eliminated a lot of the native greener ones. We get them in the house occasionally.

Yesterday we planted a delphinium. Pretty blue flowers in the planter out front. Today we dug it up and separated the root ball more and piled more dirt around it and watered again. It wasn't looking so good.

Blessed, weather like you've been getting would make anybody depressed!

Office is back in order. I was able to bring in a box of office supplies from another closet and consolidate with the stuff here too. There are bare spaces on the shelves. I love seeing that. DH, on the other hand, looks at it and says, "oh good there's more space to put things". :roll:
Last edited by Harmony on Wed May 01, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Bookie - I'm so glad a reliable contractor will be working on your house. I'm thrilled for you!

We are excited to see in the news about one of our DNephews landing the head football coaching job at the biggest local school close to us. I found myself immediately in prayer for him. It is a big shake-up of the football program (The school fired everyone and hired all new staff) DNephew is young, has only been out of college for a year and will have many naysayers just for his age. I think it would be hard to "come home" where everything you have done wrong since you were born is known. I hope DNephew will be surrounded by nothing but support and have thick skin for those who say negative things. Also I hope the members of DNephew family can resist reacting to the negative comments that are sure to come. It will be a growing process for us all. But overall I'm excited for DNephew.

I am officially declaring Spring Garden Planting done! This afternoon I planted the last seedlings that I raised. I have no intention of adding any more containers. I know there are more than 100 containers. #ContainerPlantAddictionIsReal
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:24 pm

I am enjoying the sun, stayed home cooked up burger patties to have on hand this week.
Got plants out, and put back in the plant cage. Watered plants and grass.
Harrirt Tulips are nearly done, iris are budding I can just barely tell they will be purple on some here now.
I've had lunch. Picked up more twigs in the driveway. The garbage can is back in from the curb now.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Harmony - did you hear what the big explosion was yesterday? Does your neighborhood have a FB group?

I find it somewhat strange that my first place to go for information is FB. I usually find out more information & faster from FB groups than the news.

We are having thunderstorms roll through again. The 3 dogs are inside the house while the storms are happening.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:18 pm

Same here, LadyM. We have a neighborhood Facebook group and if the power is off someone always posts to ask if it's off all over the neighborhood. And then there's a neighborhood email thing that also has local info.

I need to do a few things still. DD is coming by soon so I don't have a block of time, I don't think. She wants me to keep some succulent plants until Sunday and bless them apparently. They're teacher gifts and she thinks she will kill them.

Going to do one or two things at a time...first, find the instructions for the sprinkler system and try to get it programmed. It usually runs early in the a.m. Also, I need to find the sprinkler backflow inspection paper and put it out on the backflow device for inspection this week. I have managed to cancel my reservation for St Louis next week since I'm not going to the conference there.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Congratulations -- and prayers! -- for your dnephew, LadyM!!!
Yes -- no man is a prophet in his own home, and coaching in one's hometown is very difficult. OTOH, the coach we have right now is a hometown guy and has probably been here longer than almost anyone. For awhile we changed coaches like Kleenex. The night dh was hired, I just lay in the bathroom floor, talking to dmom on the phone, thinking I was going to throw up. Dh was 29 at the time, but still, probably young compared to his predecessors.
It's not an easy life, but it was a dream come true for dh (and me) and we're glad he had his chance. I hope your dnephew has a wonderful career, and yes -- prayers for his family to learn to bite their tongues, because that sorta goes with it all, too. ;)
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Will cuop later.

Took dgs over to the dentist (to see mommy there and see what the place is like) and then we went to the dollar store and the library. I had him show me how to walk home and he seemed to know. Plus he knew to press the button at the lights and 'wait for the man'. So that was almost a mile of walking. He's a good little walker but was getting pretty slow towards the end.

Had lunch and then came home and went out for the walk. The forecast was wrong yesterday (we didn't get a full day of sunshine) and is wrong again today (both hotter and sunnier) so dh and I walked 4 miles to view all the flooding.

Here's a link to an album with pictures (I finally figured out how to do it although I can no longer find the link in Imgur but I'd posted the link in Reddit so I can share it with you.)

https://imgur.com/a/JfF7BUI

It is dinner time but neither dh nor I feel like standing, we are so sore!

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Happy Birthday, Rose! Enjoy your dinner out today and your trip.

I've finally finished cuop the last few days. I'm glad you are on the mend, Twins. Nice to hear that Harriet's HRH has only one more treatment and his dr. report is better. I've been watching the live camera that you posted, Kathryn. I am sorry for anyone who is affected by these waters; it will be interesting to see what the view shows after the flooding waters have receded.

Elizabeth, I think TS means Tractor Supply; at least that's what I think when I see those initials. The closest one to us here is about 35 miles north, so I don't get there too often.

Lady M, I hope you and your dfamily are all safe today! Also thinking of Sadie and her dfamily.

Hello to Blessedw2 (from yesterday). Hello to everyone.

Harriet, I'm sorry you were not spared that critical remark. Some people just do not think before they talk.

I've been interrupted so many times this afternoon since I started typing. I happened to mention that I really wanted to have a cookie for dessert after lunch and dh agreed. Then he decided to make butterscotch cookies ( that is the only chips we had in the house ). The recipe books have been packed so I had to look up the Toll House recipe, then we discovered that our mixer has also been packed. Dh got tired after getting all the ingredients together and had to sit down, so I ended up mixing by hand and baking. We also had no vanilla extract so I used rum extract instead. The cookies turned out delicious.

I talked to the man who bought our house last week. He came on Sunday afternoon to pick up the mail that had come here and he offered us an extra month's time to stay if we needed it. So it appears that we will have until June 14 to move. The extra time does help and he will have plenty of time to do whatever he needs to do to get ready for the family that will be moving in sometime in July. We have been decluttering and organizing as we get more things packed. Yesterday dh started on his clothes closet. He worked as long as he could before needing to sit down. I finished pulling out all the clothes that didn't fit, which filled a laundry basket, then organized the clothes by seasons. It looks nice and now has plenty of room.

Lizzards....We have several types of lizzards here, the green and brown anole, Florida scrub lizzard, six lined racerunner, common house gecko, southeast five-lined skink and several more including legless varieties. The mole lizzard has a blue tail. All I have ever seen around our home is the little brown anole and maybe the FL scrub lizzard.

Anyway, it is time to get some supper ready. Have a good evening everyone! Oh, I just looked out the window and it is raining; I guess we are in the 20% chance.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:54 pm

This board is such a handy helper! Dmom and I were discussing when she had her last foot surgery done, did the doctor work do surgery on M/W or T/TH?
Ta-da--- pwyc to the rescue! Monday, July 23rd, was the date of last year's surgery. Thank you, village archives!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”