Friday Conga - Jump in when you can

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Friday Conga - Jump in when you can

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 10, 2019 3:51 pm

We had a nice visit with dd and the kids. I got one report I need to do expenses printed off before she came and I just printed the reports I needed from dh for the trip expenses.

I looked at the carpet order and the wrong underpad was ordered for the living room (not cushion) and the wrong size for the dining room (8' x 10' to go under a 9.5 x 13 carpet.) He assured us that the non-slip underpad only had to be 75% of the carpet size. Everything I read said 1" to 1.5" from the edge of the carpet (not 1.5' as he proposed and to make matters worse, that's a high-traffic area.) Even if he was right, he's arithmetically challenged because the pad he sold us was only 65% of the carpet size. Now I'm really angry he's getting commission since 1) I picked the carpets, he never got up from his chair to serve us and 2) buying from an 'expert' appears to be useless. I'm sure I'm being overcharged as well. I had to argue for no delivery charge but I think he just padded the underpadding instead since those aren't the prices he told us, nor is available from their website.

That's supposedly fixed now. We'll see.

I should get back to work but I'm distracted by wind and swirling brain waves.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Once I got going on the genealogy I started doing some analysis of the Hendersons who lived in a specific county in 1880. The guy I'm researching was said to have been born there in 1882. There are almost 200 individuals by that last name and the enumerator, who likely could barely read and write, listed everyone in one area by initials only. So I'm looking at ??J. who is the son of C. and E. or their daughter M. I'll analyze the families where the female was of childbearing age and come up with likely suspects hopefully. I already have a strong suspect, so I'm hoping that this analysis will strengthen that hypothesis.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:40 pm

so glad you had a nice visit from your dd and d grand babies d Kathryn!

hi d harmony! praying your eyes are nice and healthy!
Me too... i love those with a positive energy re: services and programs at church.

hi d nancy sounds like a nice place to walk!

hi d elizabeth! yes a tv free world is really nice!
when is your dd's last day of school? is she going to be a senior?

hi d lady! how neat that you have a place to get the furniture for your sweet dgd!
so happy that you are getting your dining room table back!

hi d twins! morning routine is an all day affair sometimes or a next day affair at times 8-) :lol:
enjoy your diner with your friends!

hi d dee! I can imagine the expense of trimming the oak trees!!! that's wonderful that you have a goal for walking! sending prayers to that vein!!!

hi d rose afternoon to you! love your dancing shoes. (((praying that headache goes away)))

hello hello all!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 10, 2019 4:41 pm

I am feeling accomplished with the progress on DGD7 bedroom.

There were some small areas of the wood that were scratched so I went over the desk and dresser with Old English Scratch Cover & furniture polish. It made a huge difference. I find myself staring because the owies seemed to disappear. Did something that simple really make them go away? So I continue to stare and wait for them to reappear. LOL DGD7 is thrilled with the new-to-her furniture

I took the old curtains and blinds down including the hardware. Then I put up new hardware, curtain rod and hung the new curtains. DGD7 is thrilled.

However, DGD7 is still saying she doesn't want a different bed. She understands that we are keeping the mattress, sheets, blanket, pillows and the bedspread. She understands that we will only be replacing the part of the bed that is underneath these things. I told DH that I feel strongly both ways. I go back and forth arguing with myself. I think we should get the matching captains bed frame while it is available and a great price. But then 2 seconds later I find myself thinking we ought to listen to DGD7 because obviously, this is about something more than replacing a cheap metal bed frame.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:51 pm

I am tired - mmmm I want energy!
I didn't expect to be gone for so long.
got my hair done - left at 9:30 and home at 11:30.
Went home - picked up dh after he finished lunch.
drove an hour to the cemetery - we are used to the drive - the suburbs nearer the city are like this.
I am glad we went. Dh was glad.
we drove past our first apartment
i got a gift for someone and dropped it off
grabbed junk for lunch :shock: around 2:30
stopped at post office for letters to france with dh as well.
lots of fun to spend time with him even if he mansplains a lot of the time - even though he forgets we lived through the same time. ;)

what I want energy for: zone work
I would love to have 3 hours of pure morning energy!!! 8-)

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri May 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Still getting my booty kicked by Oracle queries. It's not the Oracle itself now, but the megalithic, badly constructed database I am running them against.

And just to make my day better: drama from the animal org. Many many years ago, K&P were members. K is really outspoken and was VP of the org and rubbed some in the cat program the wrong way. He was also the only cat program representative. I was elected to counter that, which was really funny because I agreed with him on most things, but could explain them more diplomatically. Eventually they left for another org, but had a falling out with the president and founder of that group. It is ugly enough that there is a lawsuit and a restraining order on them. That org will be at the cat show and K&P are scheduled to volunteer with us. I called P using the "need to give you a heads up, don't want you in trouble" theme. At first, she said there was no restraining order, only an agreement not to harass each other. Later in the conversation, I was told that there IS one, but their lawyer says it does not cover incidental contact involving cat rescue. (All parties have been doing cat rescue for more than a decade). I'm not sure what to think, but the cat coordinator is worried. Of course, she is a worrier by nature, but even I am concerned about this. I recommended cat coordinator call pres of org.

I just had yet another coughing fit and have decided to go to urgent care tonight if I get home in time. If not tomorrow. 80 to 90% of the time I get a cold, it becomes bronchitis. I was sick Easter and thought I had escaped this time. Looks like not.

In answer to blessedw2's question, DD17's last day of school is May 22. She will be going into 11th grade because she repeated 5th.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:45 pm

wonderful.. oh my gosh a junior!!! d elizabeth. fun year!

I am so sorry you had to have a restraining order! how hard.
enjoy your weekend!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Ack had a tick crawling on me.it is dead now.

Plant holles are dug, and watered I will wait till sun is not shining on that spot to plant them.

At the bbq sun. The other granny who I got along with was argumentative , about a topic she is a nurse and passionate in her belief about measles vaccine.
I got them when I was a kid, and got the vaccine mine, but she did not hear that, I went back later and said hey I am with you I said I had gotten mine shot for measles she finally heard me. It was good to be heard. Sheash some people just do not listen. :shock:

H is off work today. 86* and sunny here outside now.

I am so glad I did stuff around the house Wed. & Thurs. so I could play today!
Last edited by Nancy on Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri May 10, 2019 6:47 pm

DD & I just finished cleaning out the kitchen pantry cupboard. Some things simply went in the trash. Some were put in a bag for the USPS food drive tomorrow. We'll have to get it out in the mailbox tonight. We have 2 cabinets in our office & one is pretty full of mostly canned veggies, soup etc.

Got 11K steps in so far today. I really don't get it as I just do a few laps at a time. Most of the day I can only do maybe 300-500 steps before feeling out of breath or something. But after 4pm or so I can walk pretty much non stop with no problem whatsoever. Will talk to my cardiologist about it unless things change drastically before I go home.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 10, 2019 7:16 pm

LadyM, the other thing about eating out so much is that, in order to make food taste wonderful, sugar, salt and fat are added liberally. You can control those things at home, but not out. It's either grilled chicken or grilled salmon for me tonight. There is only one "slow carb" side and that is corn.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Post When You Can”