The last Big Bang Theory Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Ramblinrose

Re: The last Big Bang Theory Thursday

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am

Elizabeth... state testing time is mandated by the State’s Dept of Ed.

The reason it is set when it is, is because the schools get the results prior to the end of the school year. And the schools use the results for many things for the next school year. For some school districts testing results are tied to school and teacher bonuses. Most teachers in the south and west return to school the last week of July so results are needed to set up programs and classes for the upcoming year.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am

Cat coordinator says Briggs is "agitated". Vet says this is a not uncommon reaction to either anesthesia or the pain meds. End July is a lousy time to restart school, as is mid-August. What happened to summer vacation?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 16, 2019 12:10 pm

At rest stop for lunch. I'm giving up on ice cream.

I stopped watching Big Bang Theory several years ago. I don't watch tv live and finding it legally online became difficult. . Dd and dsil took a trip to to LA for a taping years ago.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 pm

What happened to summer vacation?

We have tried several different school schedules and I much prefer to have school year round. DSon's children were in a year-round school (private) for a while and they liked the year-round schedule too. We take a week (5 days) off every month. Because we have control of our own homeschool schedule we move the days off each month to suit us. We do have a shortened (only 2 hours) homeschool day during the summer months. Only doing 2 hours a day during the summer months makes it feel easy but we still make progress.

I am enjoying the paper daily schedule to supplement the digital OneNote that I always use. There is just something about writing words down using pen/paper that clicks in my brain. Taking the time to write it feels like I'm making a commitment to myself to accomplish it.

On the flip side.....My Onenote journal is becoming fascinating to read through. It is so quick to click...click...click. Today I have 11 years of daily journals for May 16th to browse. I really enjoy looking at the pictures taken on this date......4 years ago...5 years ago....6 years ago...etc. I don't have pictures on every year for each date and I regret that.

DH and DS10 just returned from volunteering at clothes closet. My break time is over. *POOF*
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 pm

I never watched BBT in the beginning, until Harriet mentioned it and now I’m hooked! So sad it is ending. I may see if the series is available in a box set for Christmas! Although I am much less inclined to watch DVDs, I really would love to go back and see the early years.
Young Sheldon, I hope, will continue for a long while. Twins, he definitely reminds me of dgs!

Ditto Rose’s comments on testing. Ugh.
Check out Gerry Brooks on YouTube. He is a real elementary school principal in KY, I think, and his views on testing (and everything else) are hilarious! Some of you may have trouble with his accent, LOL — I suspect it’s slightly exaggerated for the videos — but he definitely tells it like it is!
Tomorrow is another day.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu May 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Lucylee... I follow Gerry on his FB pages. He always makes me laugh!!! And tell it just like it is.

Gerry is a counselor for an elementary school and takes all sorts of pretend calls from parents in his car. Take a moment to watch one of his videos and I’ll bet you can’t just watch one :lol:
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 16, 2019 2:39 pm

I got weeding by front step accomplished & plants purple cone flower and cosmos (pink) in before the first rain shower.
Then the sun came out so got the ddog walked saw 5 deer.
I need to consider my lunch.
Planning & journaling plus some other notes from a bit of reading done.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 16, 2019 3:45 pm

J and C

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Lasagna has been assembled and it's going into the oven as soon as I press send.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Thank you, Harriet! I wouldn't have checked, otherwise.

I'm safe and settled in the hotel. Having a cup of tea. Dh is waiting at the airport for the shuttle.

The last 100 miles were very stressful, partly because I only was getting my directions handed to me in 2 mile handouts and sometimes I was traveling at 70 mph in 9 lanes of traffic and not sure if the fork left meant stay in the Express lanes or if there was an upcoming exit to the left (on this road that happens.) My GPS just tells me to turn, it doesn't give me the name of where I'm turning. My car GPS does, but it wouldn't accept the address of the hotel (it is 7 years old and out of date, the hotel wasn't here back then, nor were any addresses near this number.)

Cathy: I had a laugh. I know the Skyway Bridge is open tonight. I found that out at Napanee (about 150 miles away!) At least it made me think of you!

Return to “Post When You Can”