incorporating things you want to do, SATURDAY PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: incorporating things you want to do, SATURDAY PWYC

Postby Harriet » Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Posting without CUOPosts of today -

The season/series endings - HRH orchestrated my viewing of the ending episodes through recording. We watched young sheldon, then big bang, then the behind-the-scenes. Looking back over these, I think he had a point to keep the prequel a prequel this time, but either way would have been really good tv. Agreed with lucylee about the tears a few times.

I wonder if the classic network entertainment concept is ever going to be able to hold us like this again. Remember when choices used to be CBS, NBC ... .. and ABC had a foothold in some markets ? Land sakes, I'm old.

I always liked Robin Zazio, Nancy. A calm presence in some really stormy programs/homes. HRH used to shake his head when he'd see it was her knocking at the door. He thought she was too delicate/young to be who she needed to be for some of the clients, and didn't have the experience in life that other pros on the show had. That may have been partly true, but when she could get a word in edgewise, she was just who was needed for despairing people.

Finished today a big push on church Desk Day and sent reports. A lot off my plate.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat May 18, 2019 5:55 pm

About Robin Zazio, I liked her too. Though I always wondered at her wisdom at arriving at those places with that long hair not tied up to keep it out of bugs and mess.

DH once took me from the Poconos (PA) down to Atlantic City. As we neared the coast and all the traffic streaming out of New York and down the Jersey Shore, it was at least 14 lanes traffic and I'd never seen anything like that much less driven in it. Every so often there would be toll booths where cars would have to nearly stop to throw coins in the bin. That slowed everything down quite a bit. That's one road I'd be happy never to be on again.

I got one bed changed and sheets hanging up. Thankfully dinner is leftovers from last night.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat May 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Whatever the weather, hoping you all stay safe throughout the current weather systems.

Its almost time to leave for bus to church. Suddenly there are raindrops on the roof. I'm so glad its not a tornado, nor a treat of one today.

Dee - I was once told low grade UTI can go undetected for an age. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I'm reading the second Norman Diorge (?spelling?) How the brain heals itself.

It seems like there is always hope of repairing damage if you can get the cells growing again.
1st step for me - stop ingesting things that harm me - and I know it.
Exercise 45min 3 x week. Work up to that. Heart rate up type exercise.
I need to do and read some more.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat May 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Did you know that the garden center doesn't carry turnips to plant. Dh spoke to a woman that worked in the vegetable section and she said she has never seen them for sale anywhere ever. Hmmm...

I have only seen and used turnip seeds. I've never seen turnips grown in any other way. I didn't even know it was possible. Interesting!

I am watching a movie that is so heart-wrenching that I have to stop watching and walk away. I tend to put myself in the movie as if I was there and get way too stressed. After a while, I can come back and watch more. Sisters of War is based on a true story about Australian nurses & nuns in WW II. I have been watching this movie in bits & pieces on/off for almost 24 hours and I'm still only 3/4 of the way through it. Hopefully, I can get through the rest of it tonight.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Blessed: how did you send the parcel to Europe and why do you think it is lost?

It took May to September for a parcel mailed to myself from England to arrive home. It was sent non-airmail which means, drumroll please, ship. That takes time, lots of time.

It takes 6 weeks for our calendars to arrive in Australia from Canada. And that is sent Air Mail. By ship I need to allow 3 months.

If it has not yet been 6 weeks, I would not consider this lost unless you sent it air mail.

You have also not considered how long it takes for a parcel to clear through customs. That adds a minimum of a week to anything because it isn't high enough priority to have a customs broker handling it. With a broker, things can be cleared in 3 days. That's why they add $25 - $50 to the cost of every order sent to me by courier from the US.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat May 18, 2019 8:22 pm

We're home and unpacked and I've just finished a cup of decaf tea.

Dd wanted to talk. We'll meet downtown at 10:30 tomorrow morning for Mother's Day (Observed) brunch. We'll be bringing dgs back with us and he'll spend the night. Somewhere in there we have to get some groceries and I have to think of something for dinner.

Our drive home was fine once we escaped the Toronto traffic. That was over 2 hours into the trip (the GPS suggested to dh he should take a break to keep fresh at the 2 hours mark.)

An hour after escaping the traffic, we stopped for ice cream (and bathroom) and then an hour after that we stopped and hiked for 90 minutes, and then 45 minutes later had fish and chips. It is then an easy 80 minutes to home. We got everything upstairs in one load (I had gone down in two loads but with two of us we could manage it all at once, plus there was less food than when I left.)

Everything went into its place rather quickly. I have a load of laundry to do but will wait until after dgs goes home on Monday.

I bought two tops yesterday so hope to wear one tomorrow, although now that I'll have dgs with me, maybe not.

I've got the apartment windows open, trying to cool the place down.

The flood waters dropped quite visibly since Thursday morning.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Adding sleep of adequate length and type to my list of things that help the brain heal, though it notes that sleep disturbances are a common effect of brain 'damage' or disorders.

I went to church today and walked home via grocery store. I bought the goat yoghurt not available at yesterday's store.

LadyM - I think I have seen that movie on captured nurses and other women during WW2. Overall there was something uplifting about the human spirit that they showed. I hope you can get to the end without too much harm.
That said, last night I found myself reacting to a novel in a way I didn't care for. I might be in for a time of taking care of what I expose myself too as well.

This last ANZAC Day I did avoid all the televised memorial services. I do think of it as a day to remember all effected by the effects of war, whether they were killed then or not, and the effects on the family back home. PTSD might be known now, but its affects were evident way back in time, and resultant effects are passed down to susceptible family members. IMHO. Multiply that by generations with each generation of soldiers. Even innocent children witnessing the reality of war seem to release distressing evidence of that in their much later years, if accounts told to me from by some migrants from those places are correct.

Prayers for all countries and their leadership teams and their oppositions.
May the time for deceit and lies be past. Please G*d.
Though I'm not holding my breath on that actually happening.
Human tendencies are strong, it would seem.

Prayers for healing for us all, and for our families and communities.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat May 18, 2019 9:44 pm

H was able to grill despite breeses that were upper level.
I rebooted the dish washer.
Have washer twins going. Those lods are dry and folded one is put away.
Cleaned the kitchen sinks.
Swept the deck patio and driveway (2 times today).
Mended a piece of flanel dog chewed a hole in now I can use it for a dog blnket or ?
Last edited by Nancy on Sun May 19, 2019 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Overall there was something uplifting about the human spirit that they showed.

LynLee - well said! I agree. I'm glad I hung in there and finished the movie. It was worth watching.

Now I have started watching The Railway Children movie. I think this one will be a good movie for the kids to watch.

It stopped raining so I spread grass seed over the parts of the yard that is bare. Last year I spread dirt and planted grass over all the bare spots and babied it all summer. Much of that part of the yard looks good now but I guess some of that new grass died during the winter months. So I start again......

DS10 and DGD7 are playing online with DGD8 and DGS11. They do this a couple of times a week but it still boggles my mind for kids to be playing with each other even though they live in different states. Their relationship has grown by leaps since they talk and interact with each other so much now. DGD8 is singing while they are playing so I am sitting here listening to her.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat May 18, 2019 11:48 pm

My guess on the UTI would be chicken. Post-chilled chicken carcasses notoriously test positive for e-coli, and e-coli from chicken eaten months before can be the cause of a UTI. But you don't have to have eaten it. Fast-food places and groceries are the likeliest stores to have e-coli on their surfaces. So that means the food preparation being done is a big factor. If chicken's being packaged or prepared there, then that's where e-coli is more likely found. The hand sanitizers and sanitary wipes at grocery meat counters are partly to help with this problem. Pork and eggs also transmit e-coli that causes UTIs but are at a distant tie for second place.

Return to “Post When You Can”