Sunday Sidelights

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Sunday Sidelights

Postby Harriet » Sun May 19, 2019 7:44 am

Cambridge says a sidelight is a piece of extra information that helps us understand something in a slightly new way. In literature, a sidelight is an additional aspect to a character or scene that sheds light on part of the story.

What are the sidelights to your Sunday Story? Have you got some extras going on today that you didn't expect, or some that you have brought in to your day purposefully, to shed light on your coming week?

What are the sidelights of your life that interest you? Would we be surprised?

LadyMaverick

Re: Sunday Sidelights

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 am

Harriet - Thank you for the start today. You have me thinking.

I'm home from my sunrise walk. it was pleasant and peaceful.

I started the water heating up for making tea and went outside for just a second. Yeah. Right. I should have known that time evaporates when I go outside. I forgot what I went out there for but what I actually did was a couple of the swimming pool daily cards (change filter & test chlorine/PH). Then I watered the container plants around the pool area. When I came back inside the tea kettle was whistling with full steam. oops.

DH has requested that we eat at home after church today. :shock: That surprised me but I'm all for it. For me, eating out is always the 2nd choice to eating at home.

We are filling in for the person that normally picks up the donuts for church. Yug. That means we will be smelling the 200+ donuts in our vehicle for the 20 miles to church. Some of the young men in our church have started preparing breakfast for everyone. So in addition to the donuts we will be walking into some food prepared and eager men serving it. They greet us so warmly and immediately hand us the food. I don't want to disappoint the guys so I always take their food and chat....then later find a corner with a trash can and secretly dispose of most of it. Their food is wonderful. Their reason for doing it is wonderful. But there is a limit to how much this gal can eat!

DD came in the early hours and picked up DGD7. They will spend some time together today.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun May 19, 2019 11:38 am

I just (finally) CUOPed from yesterday. We a busy day and I didn't even look in after posting yesterday a.m. We went in the afternoon to a downtown tour of homes - it was all apartment home and interesting to see some of the new properties, but we're not looking for an apartment or new home at all. These were also more than dd would pay - all new apartments, tho some in older buildings. We did get in a lot of steps, but I got overheated. At one place we had to walk a couple of long blocks in the afternoon sun and I'm just not used to it. Once home, I had to get in bed for a bit to rest and cool down. I really felt terrible. I need to build up my exposure to afternoon heat and sun. I had done sunscreen on face and arms so didn't burn at least.

Once I got up it was just about time to go to dfriends' home for the evening. She is such a cook and made a wonderful light dinner and we ate outside under their trees. She had salmon, roasted veggies (eggplant, tomatoes, artichokes, olive oil, capers? what else? it was wonderful!) and a caprese salad (tomatoes, mozzarella, balsamic vinaigrette and basil), with fruit for dessert. Later we went to a small bluegrass concert - very small neighborhood venue. Started the concert very late and the leader said their fiddle player had "disappeared." The music was fun - I don't think I had heard "Mountain Dew" in years and years.

Exhausted by last night, of course. Dh and dd have gone to costco, I need to have my brunch smoothie and clean up kitchen soon.

Busy week ahead, I won't be able to go off on genealogy tangents. We're leaving next Saturday for a week at the beach. (OK, I won't be able to go off as much. ;) ;) ;) )
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 19, 2019 12:12 pm

Today's side lite was getting a pic as the neighborhood donkey walked up the street. They were "hearding" home up around the corner. We can see it behind the neighbors house in the field. No ticks yesterday yea! Maple tree is leafing out, it leafs out after seeds fall.
Bs was good. Full moon week.
I "found" the kitchen sinks yesterday and got them cleaned! Celabrating that this morning.
Also spot mopped the traffic area of the kitchen looks so much better.

Back from walking the dog. Had lunch.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun May 19, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:18 pm

s a sidelight is a piece of extra information that helps us understand something in a slightly new way.

I really loved that d harriet!!!

so happy you had a peaceful lovely walk d lady!

hello d twins! hope you feel better today!!! it's so easy to overheat when the temps switch over to hot after the winter. The dinner sounded lovely!

so cute about neighbours donkey!

have a wonderful day everyone.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:32 pm

dd younger is home. so nice to have the whole family together!

I slept late
I am content :D
I am having a slow Morning and loving it.

I worked on my planner for this coming week. Right now, my week it is up in the air but I listed my zone work (this week if rain is light - garden).
I am loving this gentle day.

tickled pink... I set up a sailing date for dd younger and I
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun May 19, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun May 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Home from church. it wasn't our typical service but it went okay. Our preacher is on vacation and the lady who runs the sound system is also gone. I found myself being the problem solver for a multitude of things. The mic batteries needed to be replaced....done. The youth teacher didn't have any dry erase markers....done. The lemonade wasn't made....done. There was no creamer by the coffee pots....done. One of the speakers wasn't on.....done. None of the issues were difficult to solve it was just a matter of know where things are kept and then getting the right items in the right place.

DH's DAunt just called to let us know that DSIL and DNeice are taking DMIL to ER to get checked out. She has stomach issues and is getting dehydrated. DH is torn whether to go sit in ER waiting room or not. I think he has decided to wait until after the piano recital is over and then go to ER and check on his DMom.

DS10 and DGD7 piano recital starts in about 1.5 hours. They are understandably a bit nervous.

Interesting.....some school have already announced they are canceling classes tomorrow because the prediction of tornados is so high. What has really surprised me is even schools that have storm shelters are canceling. I don't ever remember them canceling school due to tornado expectation. There have been several deaths from tornadoes hitting schools in the last few years.
1. Know what you want.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:47 pm

my goodness it is a quiet day here!

d lady I am sure your church congregation was thrilled you were there!!!! praying for your dsil s d mom!
I will be thinking of your ds and your dgd! wishing them a lovely recital!!!

stay safe d lady!!!
praying there aren't tornados!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:50 pm

planted the plants that I had ordered.
put out the hose drip thing - I think I may order a drip system.

cleaned out one gutter on garage - I had no idea why the water was pouring over and it was because the gutter was smelly and clogged.
time to clean off the other side. done :D
dd older with dh - (dh wanted to do it his self!) moved the broken riding lawn mower for dh - they are picking it up on Tuesday.
he changed the bulbs in the hallway upstairs.

next shower

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun May 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Home from piano recital. Both kids are very happy to have that over with. I remember growing up loving going to piano lessons and playing the piano but absolutely HATING piano recitals. I detested getting all dressed up and being on stage in the spotlight. That probably had some influence on my decision today. DS10 got dressed in his dress clothes in preparation of attending the piano recital. Then he asked me "Do I have to wear these clothes? Can I just wear my regular clothes?" I told him to wear whatever he wanted. I totally support his decision. Pick your battles....this wasn't my battle. So DS10 wore his regular clothes and happily played in the recital.

DS10 is scheduled to put out flags at the National Cemetary tomorrow afternoon but the weather may prohibit that activity. I just got a message from the coordinator reminding everyone that safety is a top priority and to use common sense.

DH is at the hospital ER with his DMom.

I have removed the 2 piano lessons from Tuesday's schedule. The piano teacher takes the summer off.

I have added going to the movies on the Thursday morning schedule for the summer. They have a summer special with a kids movie plus concessions (drink & popcorn) for $4 a person. The kids will need to choose between going to the movie in the morning or roller skating on Thursday evenings. I'm not driving to the city twice in one day.
1. Know what you want.

Return to “Post When You Can”