Happy Victoria Day Monday!!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: Happy Victoria Day Monday!!

Postby CathyS » Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am

Canada used to be a British (English) colony. When you read about the British/American war of 1812-1814, the war was fought along the shores of Lake Ontario. Laura Secord lived near Niagara Falls in what is now Queenston. Britain won that war, so a lot of Americans aren't aware of it because it is the only war you lost. We burned down the White House.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 am

Happy Victoria Day, to our Canadian friends. Was going to title today that if I got here and obviously did not.

It's been another 'crazy' day. Dh was supposed to fly out tomorrow morning at 6:25am from Orlando. Wanted to change that after having the mini stroke. Cheapo Air told us last night that American wouldn't allow change or cancellation. Today dd talked with American directly. Told them our dilemma -the heart attack the 11th, stents the 13th, mini stroke on the 16th. They gave her a manager who waived the $200 change fee, but she had to pay $101 more for the ticket ( a cheap price to have someone with me all week). She did have to give them Dr/hospital names -all okay. So in all I think dh has paid about $500 to be with me this week -also very much appreciated. Our dd is so good at this sort of thing when we're at the point of throwing up our hands. New flight isn't until 6:50am on Saturday. I'm supposed to fly home the next day, the 26th. We made that decision back in February & so glad we did now!

I have an appointment with my cardiologist here at 1:15 today. Hoping & praying he says everything is good to fly this weekend! I can use good vibes. I have no residual noticeable damage from the suspected stroke & can I say I am so very thankful?

Dh is a tad worried now because he thinks he might have to enlist the whole campground to help him clean our camper before I get there. Originally figured I'd be able to do the needed work. Not the case right now. I can do some, but I would be hard put to get it all settled & cleaned. Our DS-R was going to pick him up tomorrow but our neighbor will stop to pick him up on her way to camp Saturday. Nice. Sure DS will be refereeing lacrosse come Saturday.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon May 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Yes, Happy Victoria Day!

Cathy, I have several in my family tree who were veterans of the war of 1812 in the southern theatre - Creek War and gulf coast as well.

I'm going off on tangents again, apparently not wanting to actually do things today. Although, I did get dressed and walk the dog earlier!

Need to finish a.m. routine next because I need to leave here in an hour for a haircut.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon May 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Queen Victoria was also the queen of Canada. She was the monarch who signed the legislation creating Canada as a separate country as opposed to it being a colony. As well, it was she who chose Ottawa to be the capital. (Montreal and Toronto were vying for it.)

Queen Elizabeth II is our current queen. She still provides royal assent for all our legislation, normally provided through her representative in Canada, the Governor General (our current one is an astronaut, as is, coincidentally, our current Transportation Minister!)

The apartment is blessedly quiet at this moment.

Ds was awake at 6:30, and by 9:30 dh and I were exhausted. He chose not to go on the train ride (switching his mind is his new superpower.) We made a puppet instead and then went to the park.

Mommy found us at the park on the swings. He was as happy as a clam and didn't even notice her watching him. Then he saw her and turned into a whiny mess. Poor dd!

We had snack and then a short play time before they had to leave. We got to the car without either of us remembering to take him to the potty and dd asked if he would hold it and he kept flipping back and forth. Dd finally gave the ultimatum, "Final answer, pee at Nana's or home?" and he picked here, was taken from the car seat, dragged upstairs screaming and then refused to pee. In the meantime, I'm downstairs with dgd who loses patience and started to scream so I had to take her back into the lobby, leaving 2 children to put back into the car. General chaos and frayed nerves ensued.

There's a book dd has been trying to get through called "How to Talk to Toddlers so they will listen". I used "How to Talk to Kids so they will listen and listen so kids will talk" when my kids were young but came to that when they were older (and my kids weren't so close together in age.) The book dd has been reading is written by the daughters of the original book's authors. I'm anxious to read it but dd has it out from the library so I just offered to pick up a copy for us to share. We need a united and consistent front with this latest behaviour. It was not acute with dh and I but we may have given in subconsciously and thus feeding the behaviour. Dgs was certainly pushing buttons and dd doesn't need that.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 pm

I am using today to do set up on DS10 6th-grade spreadsheet and create new OneNote sections for curriculum tracking. These are quite detailed and involved but once they are set up then my planning for the entire homeschool year is basically done. Then I just have to put a date on each assignment when is completed.

We have sunshine and mild winds outside now. it is the calm before the storm. Our local military bases have sent all non-essential personnel home. The airports have announced they have canceled flights for the rest of the day to prevent damage to planes.

DD kept DGD7 with her today. They are staying in the city together and will ride out the storms there. DD called to discuss the storms and asked how bad we thought it would be. I laughed and told DD that I had just asked DH that question and his answer was FUBAR. if you don't know that acronym and are easily offended then I recommend you don't look it up.

Back to planning how to educate a 6th grader.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon May 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Good morning! I did not fix the closet door, but did get all LOLs done AND put away, cleaned the sewing room, extreme cleaned two catboxes, and updated Quicken. It is finals week for DD17, but Thursday starts summer vacation. I had to see the x and the other woman at a graduation party Thursday and will be stuck with them again at a baseball game tonight. Right now, I am wishing I declined the baseball game, but not because of them. I realize I will be home very late and will be a zombie tomorrow.

Saturday, there was an empty 55 gallon trash can in the highway. The car in front of me was able to swerve around, but I could not without hitting another car. Looking at the underside of the bumper reveals a tear. It is not visible unless you stoop down and look for it, but is it safe? I don't know if I should call the insurance company or not. It will be my 4th claim within 6 months, though not one of them was my fault.

Briggs is back after staying in the cat coordinator's house after dental work. All 4 canines had to be removed and all his bottom front teeth were either removed or missing. He has to stay on soft food for two weeks. Of course, he is one of the few cats who really is not excited about canned food. He will eat a little, but not enthusiastically. I have to wet his dry food, and he is not thrilled with that either. He will probably lose a little weight, but weight loss that has an obvious explanation is not serious. His dental chart was sent home with him, and he had two other teeth that were listed as "missing". These are the two that are present in domestic cats but do not occur in bobcats. (I would have guessed that a wild animal would have more teeth than a domestic, but apparently not).

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Back from the store run. Unloaded the rig and put the food away stuff to go in the treezer is diwn stairs in the big freezer.
Had tuna salad san for lunch.
Walking the dog done.
Then watering yard.
Got some sale fabric I spotted the other day, they were marking em down last time I was there.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon May 20, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm

LadyM: can you please keep posting regularly as long as you can?

Lucylee: Ditto

And any other SHEs in the path.

OK, I've taken enough of a break. I've taken off my hiking boots and will start the Monday housework now. Dh is off visiting a friend in the hospital. I didn't want to go visit but I'd like to do something with dh today since it is technically a holiday (although dh has been working as much as he can today.)

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Back from the cardiologist with lots of good news. I'm a happy camper, literally. I'm flying home Sunday. My tests from the hospital were all good. My good cholesterol (LDL) was 47! Asked what my kidney number was as it was up when I left NY in the fall -it was 1.1 -think Harriet will recognize that. It's the lowest I ever remember it. Told Dr. I hadn't been taking the metformin as my BS seems to want to go low (at 1am Sunday it was 58, ate & it was up to 110 yesterday morning. Today it was 70) and this is all without it. Dr. up home will be figuring whether I need to go back on it. I take 2 10mg glipizide a day. My BP was 120/57 -perfect for them. Told me I was doing everything I possibly could do to help my health be better. This time with the stents occluding because of outside circumstances, not plaque, was not my fault. At any rate dh and I are both going home this weekend. Means two trips to the Orlando airport but think dd is up to it -especially with a new car.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon May 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Oh, I think we’re fine in this band of weather, Kathryn — I was talking yesterday about how our weather reports and reactions have been in past times. I don’t think we’re even expecting rain this week.

Great news, Dee!!! So happy for you!!!

Awards Day was fine but a wee tiny bit disappointing. Dgs apparently does not have the highest average in his room in any subject, although he does have straight A’s and we know he reads probably on a 3rd grade level. OTOH — he most likely does not apply himself on standardized tests. That’s what ds thinks — he probably gets bored with some of these things. We know that’s what the test administrator told ds & ddil when he was tested for autism, that she couldn’t say how high he actually should score because he stopped answering seriously, when she KNEW he knew the right answers.
He also got a “creative writing” award and a science award — but none of these were called by name to receive medals and certificates. :p
It’s okay — I’m not really complaining — we know he’s smart, with or without a medal! ;)

Anyway, it was his last day of school and ds and ddil took him to a movie to celebrate. Dgd stayed with us. She’s playing and I’m watching Hoarders.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”