Wednesday 5 x 5

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Wednesday 5 x 5

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm

I update my laptop on the second Tuesday of the month. When I did computer support at my job this was a requirement. Microsoft refers to it as Patch Tuesday. Because I keep my computer updated the monthly updates rarely takes more than a few minutes. I don't know how long it has been since the church's laptop has been updated. I do know that I just finished installing the big update that was released in Oct 2018. There are still several updates in the queue.

We have another storm with a possible tornado on top of us. I'm watching the TV showing the hook & sheer on the radar and the helicopter taking pictures of it. I can see the helicopter from the window in my living room. I know I'm safe because the helicopter is almost over my house so the possible tornado is away from it.

And yes, my cellar door is open and less than 20 ft away. It will take us 30 seconds or so to get in it. There is NO WAY we can stay in it all the time we are under a tornado warning.

I do have a fear of being trapped in the cellar by the home falling down on top of the cellar door. We have a pickaxe and various tools in the cellar to help us get out if that happens. I remind DD at every storm that I'm counting on her to come dig us out if our home gets hit.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Wow, LadyM. Two days in a row! Usually these things burn out overnight, don't they?

I keep mailing back and forth with a Y-DNA match. I wonder if he's elderly? I can't seem to get through to him the difference between autosomal and Y dna testing. He keeps quoting back his paternal haplogroup, and since it's a match, that's not important to me. I'm not convinced he's had autosomal testing and I don't want to scare him into dropping communication with me. :?

DD came by for a bit while I was getting home from errands. I've done a little genealogy/DNA work and finished kitchen clean up. I had chili and a bowl of fruit and yogurt for my supper.

I need to walk the ddog and do planning for tomorrow next.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 pm

I am way past ready for these spring storms to be over. When we are under tornado warning I can't do much because I will get distracted from watching the location of the storms. We have two more severe storms (supercells) headed our way. If they stay on their current path they will be here in about an hour. At least I'm being somewhat productive by sitting here doing updates on the church's laptop.....STILL
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed May 22, 2019 9:11 pm

(((LadyM))) You are doing lots. You took a sunrise walk, you did 2 hours of homeschooling, you signed up the kids for summer activities, you made dinner for the kids, you are working on the church laptop. That's more than a full day for most people.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed May 22, 2019 9:13 pm

This, LadyM. ^^^^^

(Arrows pointing up)
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Having listed LadyM's accomplishments for the day, what have I done?

Grocery shopping
Finished houseblessing (except dusting my bedroom.)
Laid the new carpets (that was major)
Got the car gassed up
Ordered 2 books for dd
Accepting a preaching job for June 9

So I got 6 things done. By 7, not 6, still that is good enough.

I have a load of laundry from yesterday to put away and the china cabinet to refill.

The heat was turned off in the building today so finally the apartment is cooling down. I think we'll sleep better tonight. Now I have to pay attention to low temps and wind direction since it won't be easy to bring the heat back up in the apartment if I cool it off too much. On the other hand, the carpets are off-gassing a bit so I want to leave the patio doors open tonight.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Don't trust myself to say intelligent responses although I have read intently here today - happy none of us are blown away in a tornado.

So mentally exhausted. A "lost" day. Many encounters with sad folks. i do believe I'm helping, but nobody is very coherent. All arrangements moved out to Sunday because of a real pile-up of customers, shall we say.

In HRH's showing me the online obit, the first thing that popped up was an even newer obit of an old friend who has died. He was my late dh's proctor in testing for several distance seminary courses, and served as an SB deacon when my late dh was chair. I felt sad reading about some events in his life that I remember as being so heartbreaking. He lost a daughter at just a few days old, at the same time our dd was born. We had thought they would grow up together. Seeing her sweet little name in obit was a hammer of memory, for me and ... .. no one, because there's no one who would remember that with me. Hmmm. I've sent the obit on to ds34 and dd39. They will probably say, "who is this daughter, Mom?"

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Awe - Thanks, Kathryn & Twins. Both of you need to add to your list of accomplishments today "Encourage a frustrated SHE"

Things are looking up!

The church's laptop is completely updated. It took 6 hours to do all of the Microsoft updates and then I installed the latest version of Audacity and support files. That's the software we use to record the church service.

The 2 supercells separated and are now getting weaker.

We came through this round of storms without a scratch. Our only issue is soo much water everywhere. Tomorrow I will have to lower the swim pool water level by 6" or so. Our back yard already looks like a lake so I'll have to watch the water level at the foundation of the back room to make sure I don't flood the house when I dump the swim pool water.
1. Know what you want.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed May 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Yes, LadyM, you have many accomplishments for the day -- and the rest of you do, too!

I'm STILL not cuop, but here's my progress... and I have 45 minutes to meet my 10:00 pm deadline:
Not cuop yet, but my 5x56x10 ;) is like this:
[x] bank
[x] post office
[x] vacuum -- just WHB vacuuming, hitting the middles of the main area of the house
[x] clean bathrooms
[/] change sheets -- bottom sheet is on the bed, the rest of the bedding is ready to be put on, but still in a pile on the bed at the moment
[x] s2s, done Bible reading
[x] gotten dgs showered and launched him, ds, and dh on their way to the SEC baseball tournament
-- They will not be happy; we lost, but we play again tomorrow (they will not be returning to the tournament)
-- DGS may be happy however -- he was selected Gatorade Fan of the Game and won a large Gatorade sports bottle! I think maybe they put his picture on the big scoreboard or something.

[x] changed vacuum cleaner bag and filter
[x] called and left a message at the local private Christian school asking for info re: their pre-k program
[x] contacted A mazon re: a phishing phone call I got
[x] emailed dfriend re: heart doctor that her dh and mine both used, who retired this month
[ ] exercise

And honestly, I don't care if I get the exercise done by 10:00 or not; I can do that later while dh is reading the newspapers, etc.

I also ate supper w/ddil (she picked up bar-b-que for us and I paid her back for it). Then she took dgd home and discovered that dgd has a fever again... 100.2. DDIL said, "If she has strep again, I don't know what I'm going to do! This has already been twice in three months!" * sigh *

Talked to dbil on the phone. He's going to the beach this weekend. With his girlfriend. (Ha! I wish they would take my dmom with them, LOL!!!)

I better get back at it!
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 pm

I've had a good day too.

-awake just past 7, a.m. routine done before 9:45.
-trip through grocery store (been there Sun, Mon and today, and then I realized I'll need another trip before we go away)
-made chili for ds
-errands
---dropped off pkg at UPS
---dropped off pkg at Fedex
---visit with dmom
---mailed a letter
-at least 30 strong minutes of paper taming
-called dr office
-found out why my ck for genealogy institute hadn't cleared, and mailed another (see post office above)
-visit w dd
-8K steps

WTG, Lucylee!

Return to “Post When You Can”