SOARING SUNDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: SOARING SUNDAY

Postby CathyS » Sun May 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Stuff that was in the washer is now out of the dryer and most of it has been put away. Dishwasher is emptied and partially refilled. All other dishes are done.

I read for a while. I stitched for a while. Dh napped for most of the afternoon.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun May 26, 2019 8:15 pm

I was posting in the wrong thread. No wonder no-one else posted between this morning and now!

From this morning:

I've decided we'll stay home. We'll go for a walk later to try and get a roast for dinner with dd, and some milk. I have to wait for the marathon to settle back again, the course is between us and the stores I need to go to.

The wind is not dying down. At up to 25mph (up here, not sure about ground level) it will probably be a good thing for the runners, tough when they are running into it but a cooling wind at their back when they are going the other way.

I'm s2s, have had breakfast and am ow at loose ends.

I still love the carpets but the dining carpet has many manufacturing flaws. I can return and may consider doing that.

From just now:

Dh and I went out for a walk to get the roast for tomorrow night. It wasn't that store (same name, same logo, apparently different owners, probably a family split since it is a locally owned ethnic store.) He did look it up for me and tell me I could go to their other location in this end of town so after the walk, I drove over to the other store. They didn't get their meat delivery on Friday so didn't have it. Weren't sure when they'd get it.

I picked up stuff from the bulk food store and then a cooked chicken from the grocery store for supper tonight.

Came home, started dinner, burned my thumb so took a half hour off to pout and then finished up dinner. We watched 2 more episodes of Mrs. Maisel. Amazon Prime here is not smooth streaming all, the picture broke up 3x and it lost sound (which ground everything to a halt since my system noted no sound) once. So, it is not ready for prime time here. (We have very few problems with Netflix or Crave.)

I've tidied up a bit but still have to wash up the items that don't go in the dishwasher. I'm having a cup of tea at the moment.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 26, 2019 9:37 pm

Ouch, Kathryn.

Nothing much to report from church. Pianist decided I was a no-show to worship service (?) and started without me while I was just outside the sanctuary. That was awkward. She was early - her watch must have been wrong or something. I walked to the mic at the 2nd verse with as much poise as I could and continued on. Our bass singer was shrugging his shoulders, wide-eyed, to tell me he was sorry. I think she was in a bad mood. Whatever it was, it's nothing to do with me; no need to take it personally.

Skippable, although lucylee better read this -
I was not needed at funeral (and not supposed to go, because of HRH's depressed immune system), since both dd20 and dstepson would be there. When dd returned, she described such a poorly planned visitation and service that it hurt my brain to listen. I thought I'd have an attack of inappropriate-itis. I fully admit to prudery - yes, I know how unattractive it is on me. This is what happens when no one wants to step on the toes of the daughter, but she's barely into her 20s, lived in flighty denial of her ddad's illness, and figured funeral homes do all kinds of things they don't actually do. Dstepson was pulled in as a pallbearer by surprise. Sigh. He had worn casual clothes. :| They didn't sing - and no one played - any songs, because no one thought they were the person to suggest... ..? I had suggested Amazing Grace and I'm a total nobody, but that was the piped-in music. I just have to keep telling myself these are not the important things. I guess.

Dd let little-niece, who is 8 now, sit with her, and they bonded further. Many lost opportunities for other reacquainting with more distant family, because there was no visitation order/line/decision. Dd and dstepson came home without a clear understanding of the family and friends they'd seen, frustrating HRH. What do you say in that case? 'Well, next time it will be better?' Next time's a terrible thing to hope, at funerals.

Dd has spent the rest of the afternoon building a pre-fab slanted drafting table. Complicated. I was some of the muscle.

I stayed home from evening thing at church. HRH feels awful (tummy, tiredness, aches). It's expected.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun May 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Nope... haven't soared today, either...
And this week's not looking good. If PWYC were a school, y'all would kick me out. :oops: :oops:

This turned into a really long post, but y'all, please look at the QUESTION at the end and give your thoughts on this. Am I the only person struggling to reach the mark here?

OTOH... let's see... thinking about the "I got nothing done" video, what can I say about today?

* s2s, got dgs dressed, went to church
* talked to ddil on phone afterwards, talked to ds on the phone afterwards (though I must admit, I fell asleep while he and dh talked baseball)
* napped
* read newspapers
* paid np man
* washed dishes
* watered plants
* did allergy shots
* refilled med dispensers
* went to Wmart
* ate supper at H ardee's
* put away groceries
* took garbage to the road
* printed weekly checklists for next week (although I think I"ll continue using this week's, since it's still empty for a large part of the week, and we'll be gone three days)
* talked to dbil on phone

I need to do my weekly OMM list and prepare for the two days we will be home next week, and do my bedtime routine.

I've been looking at that Passionate Penny Pincher Ultimate Home Checklist again. * sigh * :mrgreen: https://shop.passionatepennypincher.com/products/the-ultimate-home-checklist
For some reason, I just LOVE the appearance of this thing.
OTOH -- my weekly checklist is VERY similar, except mine is black and white.
I do not list my Weekly Project and Daily Top Three tasks, as this one has pre-printed at the top, and I don't include my Bible reading, as it has at the bottom (or my expenses for the day.)
I have 10 columns:
DAILY *** M-TU-W-TH-FR-SA-SU *** WEEKLY *** SAT/SUN
Underneath DAILY, mine looks very much like this one, and then underneath the days, it is blank, to check off each day.
Underneath WEEKLY, I have tasks like Errands, Bathroom cleaning, Vacuuming, Dusting, Change sheets...
and also in that column, MONTHLY items like Mop, Clean mirrors/doors, Reconcile bank statement, Ironing, Computer chores/Scan pictures, etc.
The SAT/SUN column has the stuff that has to be done weekly, and naturally falls to Sunday, like the stuff above -- garbage, groceries, etc.
Under SAT/SUN I also have listed as MONTHLY tasks manicure/pedicure, hair color,
also under that category is a box with PAPERWORK -- to remind me to focus on photos, journals, scrapbooks, etc.
PAPERWORK is a daily 15-30 min tasks, which never gets checked off, but it's there to remind me to TRY to carve out some time to get these things done!!!

So, you see. My plan is obviously much more flexible, which my life pretty much demands. I cannot check off vacuuming every Tuesday, for example, because * stuff * gets in the way too much -- dmom might need me, dh might want to do something, I might have both dgrands...
And that's fine with me. PEOPLE before HOUSEWORK, definitely.
BUT... maybe I am TOO flexible with myself, and so stuff never gets done?
That is the million dollar question for me. Not really -- it's obvious that is the problem. There's no question about it.
Still, I'm thinking, I have a good PLAN in place. Why on earth would I consider spending $30 on this lady's plan??? :shock: (The PDF download is only $15.99, but if I started 2020 fresh with her, and bought the spiral bound notebook, it is $29.95, I believe.)

So... I've just got to push myself to DO IT and quit THINKING about it. I know, I've been saying this (to y'all) for... hmmm... 19 years now? Probably been saying it to myself for at least 35, since I became a working mother, and not just a housewife/student whose husband was seldom home.
And I think to some extent, I need to accept myself a little more and enjoy the life I live, without pressuring myself to check off every box. Our house is neat, dh and I are happy,
How does the daily routine of cards or checklists or whatever we use -- how does our system remain a HELP in our lives, and not just something that makes us feel we're falling short?
I think that is my problem a lot of the time.
I crave order and I want to check things off that list... but what's undone hangs over my head and nags at me (in my ddad's voice, I suspect sometimes, berating myself for napping or not being BUSY at something productive all the time :cry: ).
And, btw, if it's only on 3x5s, I totally forget and ignore whatever is under the top card. :oops:

There! :!: THAT is the :!: :!: :!: QUESTION OF THE DAY :!: :!: :!:
HOW does one accept and enjoy life, being flexible enough to accommodate family members and outside activities, while still setting and meeting goals of home-making, decluttering, organizing, etc.? :?:
How does our system remain a HELP in our lives, and not just something that makes us feel we're falling short?

That is my eternal quest in life, it seems.
Something for y'all to think about and ponder as you prepare for the post-holiday return to routines.

We will most likely be home all day tomorrow, ds is on the road, and we will leave Tuesday morning for Atlanta. We'll head back home Thursday morning, and ds will be performing at local "Music on the Square" Thursday night.
I will cuop now... I see Harriet has "tagged" me, LOL!
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun May 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Oh, (((Harriet)))... WHY do people do these things???
What do you say in that case? 'Well, next time it will be better?' Next time's a terrible thing to hope, at funerals.

Indeed.
I just absolutely despise this new party-atmosphere of funerals, where there is no visitation line, and people just mingle about, sometimes in their little "cliques," ignoring those who may be lesser known but need to be introduced and acknowledged. Yes, I admit to being prudish, but if the very last event of one's life can't be done right, then... well, there IS no "next time," is there? * sheesh *
You've got me up on my soapbox and I sound just like my senior English teacher, who was definitely the standard bearer in our school, and my go-to person for many of life's dilemmas.
At any rate, you can be sure I understand and sympathize with your upset from the day.

Likewise your church snafu!
Our preacher was late for the * THIRD * time this morning. He slipped in during the opening song. DH said he preached a good sermon, but I must admit to losing a bit of the point of it by the time he got to it, b/c dgs was copying passages from the Bible and showing them to me to read. Just random verses, but at least he is occupied with the Bible, and it keeps him a little bit quieter. (He still doesn't quite get the concept of being quiet while the preacher is talking; if he wants to tell me something, he just tells it, and his whispering skills could use some work, too!)

Many nights in my early childhood, I went to sleep watching my ddad at work at his slanted drafting table, down the hall from my bedroom... memories. (His was set up on sawhorses, though, not a modern pre-fab style like your dd has, I imagine.) Dmom still has it though and I can't bear to let her part with it. I was always fascinated with his drafting tools, the little stencils for doorways and windows and bathroom fixtures.

Ooohhh! (((Kathryn))) Hope your finger feels better soon. A 10K race used to go by our house, but they stopped having that event a few years ago. It was fun to watch them go by though, although sometimes we slept through most of it, LOL!

I love barn doors, Cathy! Where do you plan to use them? My dcousin has one she uses as a headboard for her bed.

WTG burning the cardboard and newspaper. DS has a HUGE amount of cardboard that needs to be burned or taken to the dump. He says we may try to schedule a trip to the dump Friday or next week. Boy, I hope so. His carport is... beginning to resemble a dump! (His tv quit on him this week and now it is sitting amidst all the other * stuff * in his carport, plus the piles of stuff in the carport attached to his music room.)

LadyM... I am amazed at your weather too! I mean, we are definitely in Tornado Alley here, but like you said, NEVER have I heard of a front just settling and having severe warnings for days and days on end. Surely this will pass on soon! (And hopefully some cooler weather behind it? I know we need cooler weather here -- but so far, no storms... just hot hot hot and dry dry dry.)

Thinking of Dee traveling * so glad to hear Mr. Dee had an easier time of it going through security this time!

... and Twins... hope y'all have a great trip!

Waving to Nancy... congratulations to dgd!

Waving to blessed... hope dd is feeling better now! My dbro always complained with allergies when he came back here while he was living in Florida. I don't know if he notices as much change now that he is in Atlanta or not.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon May 27, 2019 1:08 am

Well, since Lucylee has been here up into the wee hours of the next day, and I am too, I will post.

Can't remember when I posted last, though I have been reading. Sometimes I nap in the evening, just can't seem to get through to bedtime and then I'm not sleepy at a decent hour. I've tried over and over going to bed earlier, but I end up laying there for hours without sleeping...even if I haven't napped. My internal clock just has its own mind and really has my whole lifetime.

Lucylee, I used to try to do a whole house blessing on Thursdays. DD once asked me why I picked Thursday and I had to say, well if I miss Thursdays there is always Friday to catch up and then the house is good for the weekend. Don't know when I gave up that rigid schedule, but it never worked very well. Now I get things done as I can...although my morning routines are pretty much set in stone. If I do them the place keeps humming along even if the dust piles up a bit around the edges. Everything looks decent most of the time and frankly, if my stuff is cleaned out and drawers, closets are neat, I'm happy. Another paper or computer system would just be a waste here I think.

Right now I'm needing a big cleanup in the kitchen, but it got late and I don't want to wake DH so it'll just have to wait till tomorrow morning. Sunday, day of rest is my excuse. :lol:

Been keeping up pretty well. Sat. I finished all the laundry, cleaned a bedroom and a bathroom, changed sheets. I went out then and got a haircut, intending to just get it trimmed, but I got crazy. I came home with less hair than I've ever had; I had baby dolls with more hair when I was little! DH said why did you cut your hair like that :o but I am getting used to it.

Church today, ushering duties this week. Harriet, wow, wonder what was the problem with the timing? We have an assistant pastor giving sermons now and then since our main Pastor retired, and he is a bit sleep-inducing. But I have to admit he seems to be getting better with practice. We have an interim pastor coming in 2 weeks.

I have to admit I've never been to a funeral that was all choreographed and planned like you are saying. Well maybe one. But family spoke, each of the sons and daughters, and there was such a long slide show, it felt like we were there half the day, followed by a catered dinner in the smaller room of the church where this was all held. Then the cemetery procession... but most funerals are more casual here.

It's almost the beginning of hurricane season. I'm not looking forward to this. LadyM, was thinking of you earlier, watching tornado damage in O City, wondering how tired you were getting of this day after day. Reminds me of when there's named storms out in the Atlantic and they give non-stop coverage for a week before it gets here. DH refuses to watch, only a few minutes at a time a couple times a day at most. I guess he knows I will tell him when it's on top of us. :roll:

All right, NOW I'm going to try for bed.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon May 27, 2019 2:13 am

I weeded so much my arm is sore. Diff. Progress made after dark I did some paper taming. A bit ahead of time Wed. I will be busy so did my anti procrastination task this evening! Yea! Had to charge up my tablet. Now it is time to hit the hay.

Return to “Post When You Can”