US Memorial Day, PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: US Memorial Day, PWYC

Postby CathyS » Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 am

Finally made DPC to accountant. I now have an appointment to see him tomorrow. We discussed how I feel about doing our bookkeeping and he said I could hire him to do it. When I see him tomorrow, I will tell him he is hired. He is our accountant and files our taxes and deals with my trust fund so this is a logical and very helpful step.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon May 27, 2019 11:52 am

I think I am perhaps too hard on myself. It’s the perfectionism thing, and my ddad’s voice in my head, always thinking I should be DOING something, something more, and then criticizing myself when I haven’t checked off every box every day. Plus comparing myself to others (you ladies, sometimes!) and thinking HOW do they get so much done???

Perhaps I simply need to practice some daily affirmations. My husband could not possibly be any happier with the way things are here in our home. Things are always neat and tidy, company-ready. Anything else I get done, I should look at as bonus.

I really appreciate all of your thoughts on this!
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:00 pm

I really think you are way too hard on yourself sweet dear lucy! you are a really good person, wife, mom and grandma!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:02 pm

praying for your dh's sweet mom d lady and for all of you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 27, 2019 12:04 pm

DKids are cleaning their bedrooms. Roomba has been turned loose and they know she has no tolerance for things they leave on the floor. :0

Before we go to the city, I'm taking the kids to Remembrance Ceremony at the local cemetery. I have memories of going with my dad & Grandpa to these ceremonies each year. Grandpa wore his military uniform as he participated in the ceremony.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:06 pm

dh did the dishes (I didn't do last night). girls cooked for us and I (in my tired state told them "don't worry about the dishes" :shock: 8-) ;) )
I washed all the counters and stove
looked at my calendar

dd is feeling a bit better but not by much.

okay start to work outside a bit before it rains again!!!

oh also a thing I followed - not buying things when I am out - impulse control. not easy

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon May 27, 2019 12:59 pm

I am having a rest day, slept in till seven thirty. Made a special breakfast I actually cooked. LOL! :lol:
I have done my journal & day planning.
Now for the next part of my day.

"HOW does one accept and enjoy life, being flexible enough to accommodate family members and outside activities, while still setting and meeting goals of home-making, decluttering, organizing, etc.? How does our system remain a HELP in our lives... :?: "

These are my thoughts on the question today. When grand kids are collage age life is not quite as busy for me. I try to share about decluttering then end up just saying to check out Fly lady on u tube. I have adpated and tweaked my plan as I learn new things like bullet journaling that are more portable, my disc bound day planner is some thing I have customized from ideas I got from various books, videos I have read or watched. It is great bc I can take out a page that has my tasks for the day on it. Diary style journaling helps me to process review and evaluate as well as planning thinking what I can inprove or needs to change.
Dgd was excited to get a purse sized planner to use for collage life preprations.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon May 27, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello everyone! I'm taking a break to come here since it is almost lunchtime for us. Recent days I had been awake at 5 a.m. so had a nap later on in the afternoon. This morning I woke with the alarm at 7:30 and started with breakfast right away.

Today will be normal routines. Dh has a blood draw at the VA tomorrow at 11 a.m. and ds#1-C said he would be coming also. We will have to leave by 10 a.m., but dson has a key, so it won't be a problem if he is not here by the time we leave.

It has been a quiet weekend for dh and me. When we were younger and dson's families were younger we always had them all come here for visiting and a picnic - good family time together. Now everyone just does their own things. Last evening we watched the National Memorial Day Concert. It was very nice, but emotional -- I was teary through a lot of it. Counting both sides of dh's family and my side of the family we have at least 14 people who have served, so I had thoughts of each one as I watched the program.

I think most funeral homes have open hours for visiting, but publish set times when the family would be available if visitors wish to see the family. Harriet, maybe there wasn't much guidance from the minister and/or the funeral director for dcousin's dd in setting the format for the service.

Lady M, my dh had an occasion to visit New York City years ago. It was his only trip there and only for one or two days so not much time for sightseeing. He did walk the few blocks around the area he was in. He remembers the traffic and lots of people. He also remembers walking around one of the Tiffany's stores.

It has been very hot here the last few days, in the 90s. I can't let dMinnie outside for more than a few minutes at a time; her black coat absorbs the sun's heat very quickly. I hope the weather stays calm for Lady M, Sadie, BookSaver and others.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm

Hello! I feel honored that I have people in my family who serve(d) in the military. I am also extremely blessed that no one I know died during their service. A good friend lost part of his hearing in Afghanistan. DFiL (gone now) served in WWII at the end / reconstruction and would not talk about his time there even though he had a medal.

Did a big kitchen cleanup to make up for yesterday. Need to unload the dishwasher.

DH is out working somewhere but the stuff I had to do has been put on hold until the post office and the mail is going again. I finished desk chores last evening too.

I do think we all focus so much on our routines that we're bothered when we don't do them. And if we have perfectionist tendencies that makes our criticism of ourselves pretty harsh. I have the added problem of living with a workaholic and feeling as though I shouldn't just enjoy myself doing something...

Lucylee, I'm often impressed with your list of what you've been doing. Lots of time it's more than I'd been doing.

LadyM, I was on that day trip to NYC with Sunny's DH and what I remember vividly is that it is hard to find a place to sit down. No hotel lobbies have seats, we often were tired and ended up in a lot of coffee shops or restaurants just buying tea to have a place to sit. Maybe we just didn't know where to go...but we only had a couple hours and no guidance. I do remember flying into the city right past the statue of liberty and how special that was.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon May 27, 2019 1:35 pm

Another quick peek in.

I derailed my day but did get the credit card accounts updated and reconciled and paid the bill that came in on Friday.It just took 90 minutes, not the 30 I had allowed for the task.

Laundry needs folding, then I need to look at my timed list for the day and decide what I'm getting rid of.

Re funerals: DAunt had planned hers all out in quite detail and had prepaid a lot of it. She was adamant that they should not use the funeral home services at the church.

Then the 'church' disappointed dcousin because they left many details undone. For instance no reserved signs on the pews although people respected tradition so there was a place for us in the packed church.

No one to act as ushers.

No-one to direct parking.

And the minister had to come to dcousin after the funeral and ask for the payments to the musicians, caretakers and herself. That dcousin found in bad taste.

As she complained about all this to me at dinner after, I pointed out that when I open a church for a funeral, the funeral home handles all those details. Yes you pay for that but at the same time, it relieves you of organizing the event at the church and making sure everyone is paid.

The funeral was lovely. It reflected the deceased, the music was great, and it was obvious that all the members of the church were doing things as daunt would want (i.e. all the silver tea services were in use complete with people to 'pour' in the old-fashioned way.) So I hope that I put aside dcousin's disappointment with the church.

The timer went a minute ago so it is time for me to poof once more.

Return to “Post When You Can”