Solo Sunday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Solo Sunday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:31 pm

It's been pretty rainy here. Every once in a while it is heavy enough that I note it and glance out the window. At the moment it is just foggy.

I think 5 a.m. might have been the nicest weather of the day. We had a light shower but that was it.

I've bought a computer. It cost 2x what my 5 year old computer cost. Although I'll admit that was a cheap one. It could have only been 1.5x as much but then it would have almost the same specs as this one and I wasn't having any of that. There had to be a reason for buying new (although I suppose the computer failing unexpectedly is a good reason to replace it!)

On the down side, it is 10 days until shipping and 2 days for delivery. That takes us right to the middle of me being away. I'll ask my neighbour to watch for a box outside my door. I'm hoping it will be delivered earlier rather than later.

Dh is getting a new computer when he gets home. They finally came out with a new version of his computer. His has been failing fairly often lately, sometimes many times a day. But there was no new model at all for him and he didn't want to upgrade.

I'm just sick now because I get ill whenever I spend a large amount of money. My limit seems to be $500. Anything more than that, I get flu-like symptoms. So did my dad, so does ds. He nearly threw up after buying the house. This is why I prepay trips as much as possible so I don't get the ill feeling while I'm away.

I'm still in the yesterday's clothes I threw on to take dh to the airport. I need to s2s and put on clean things.

At least the computer is now bought and I'll be able to focus on other stuff.

I ran a full virus scan and nothing came up. Of course, from now on, the computer will behave itself.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:41 pm

I am definitely getting a cold. :shock: ;)
I have to swish and swipe (surface) in bathrooms
I need to vacuum one of the upstairs bathrooms bc, after gardening, my cloths left a mess on the floor.

I vacuumed the first floor - I had put it off because I made it a heavy job in my head. it took 7 minutes. 8-) ;)
ta ta

d kathryn hope it dries up the next few days and you get lovely weather.
that's the weather we had yesterday. 5:30 it looked a bit cloudy but sunshine (orange) and 7:30 it poofed and rain started to come.
I understand the feeling re: spending money and anxiety that makes you sick.

hi d Cathy - hope you get nice weather as well.
enjoy your stitching.

next right thing....
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:52 pm

I started off with a solo project left over from May, moving concrete blocks out of front yard, rolling them actually with the hand truck. Yesterday we decided that we could do a bbq for h to use pie irons with. :mrgreen: So we had just enough. I got them all to the back yard and the first round done he came for a look see we decided to turn them smooth side up. He helped and we got it set up. [pic on fb] Just a few left over. Exercise done!
I made breakfat ingredients hbiscuits and meat patties, h cooked up his own eggs.

I was not limping it was h.
We are doing better this a m .
I should mow I can do that myself. Maybe later. Done.
Had a solo shower.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Oh, I misunderstood that, Nancy. Well, hope he didn't have too hard a time of it!

Our mail is being delivered later and later these days, and we just didn't get to pick it up yesterday.

So today after church - yea! We found that a book I ordered arrived from an English book store. (I buy the used ones when I can save money.) So that was a fun faraway package to open and I've had my nose in it ever since. HRH had to jostle me to ask me, "Did you mean to sit in my chair, because um... ..?" LOL! The recliner is definitely his domain since he's been feeling poorly, and I wasn't even aware I was sitting, I don't think. I popped up laughing - but I didn't let go of that book!

Church was nice. I could have some complaints, but life's too short. :) It's all good. I gave a money gift to our high school graduate. Happy to have remembered a card for him, etc. One thing done!

I did have an opportunity to educate our newest, youngest deacon, who made the mistake of asking ME (me! ;) ) what was the difference between (word for our denomination) and (word for our more local geographic body). I thoroughly enjoyed answering that our denomination believes women are to teach, but the other guys have a problem with it. That was quite satisfying. I smiled during the service, just remembering that moment. (no, of course I did not leave him hanging, but also helped him understand more about them - oops, does that count for teaching!?! :? Dear me, I may have overstepped.)

I need to follow blessed in making a plan for the coming week.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:15 pm

LadyM, are you still limping?

My foot is still swollen and my thigh muscles are showing the bruises. I don't remember exactly what my thigh hit when I was falling but I remember thinking when I got up that I might have a bruise. Sure enough, I'm going to have an impressive one about half foot wide.

I have been successful getting the swelling reduced by sitting in the recliner with foot part up and 2 pillows on top of that. It puts my foot level or above my head. Not the most comfortable position but this position does give the results I'm seeking. When I leave this position then the swelling returns.

I was going to return to normal activities today but DH strongly encouraged me to stay down one more day. I reluctantly agreed. I fully intend to be up and going tomorrow.

Kathryn - what computer did you choose?

I used to configure & order computer equipment for a couple of hundred people. I have memories of what laptops used to cost when they first came out. The group of people that I bought computers for were using engineering type of software which required high-end speed and memory. I think of what those computers cost and it makes the computers I buy now seem like a crazy good buy. The price of electronics has dropped so much over the past couple of decades.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:32 pm

I am hearing a beeb that indicates our smome al arm needs a battery. Sigh...
I watered my plants all by my self. I really like the looks of the bbq pit in the back yard it is in a good spot and suits the space back there.
We had lunch.
I my be napping soon.
LM so sorry to hear you took a spill.
Water the l awn.
Did a load of laundry.
Dishes are rinsed and loaded in the dish washer.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Saturday
online support group
walked to town
bought some novel supplies. paints - watercolour, acrylic; paper - art and lined; folders - soft sided zipped and harder clipped.
didn't buy an arch folder; deferred decision on a portable filing box until I actually produce something.
movie - rocketman. It was different from what I expected. Overall impression - hopeful for possibilities for change. Of course, he had the big bucks needed for quality help, and the willingness to go there.
walked home so a good number of k's for me.

Sunday
got ready for church. It rained. Stayed home.

Monday - so far the sun is shining.
tmeds, dishes, breakfast, dressing done.
todo - yoga and afternoon group.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 pm

We are home from the beach. We really had a wonderful time with dfriends - wonderful weather, no responsibilities (other than getting an easy supper together!)

Back tomorrow, I am worn out from the drive!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Wasted afternoon. Didn't do anything except read 17 pages of posts in the skyscraper forum about the site who's crane is currently shining into my bedroom at night.

I did go down to the locker room to look for a missing bin. Someone moved out and is missing a bin full of important papers so messaged me asking me to go look.

I've eaten my dinner now, except for some fruit for dessert. After I have the fruit, I have to clean up the kitchen and prep things so I can hit the ground running tomorrow.

There was a tornado warning over dinner. Dd texted me before I got the alert and I promised to stay off my balcony this time. It was already past me when the warning came but I could see where the storm was the scariest. Sure enough a tornado hit there and then hit the neighbourhood just past dd's. They had lovely sunshine the hold time. (I had a scary cloud go over us, which made things go spooky feeling and the wind changed but nothing came of it.)

LadyM: I only buy Thinkpads so ended up with an X390. I opted for 16g RAM and 512g SSD. I chose the optional fingerprint reader since I hate typing my password. This one will be Win10 (I'm not looking forward to that at all, I love Win7) so I sprung for the touch screen although I mostly use an external monitor so currently that isn't a big deal but I don't know if I can have a touch external monitor. I have to learn about that stuff.

I also bought the 5 year warranty since the last 5 year warranty served me well. Even if this computer completely fails, I still have 8g of new RAM I can sell. In fact, it is likely the need for a new battery that caused the failure. I'd forgotten about that but it is at 25% of its former glory. Although I did a hardware scan today and it didn't come up bad.

This one will weigh over 1lb *less* than my current computer and is thinner. On the other hand, it is slightly wider and longer because the screen is 13.3" compared to 11.6". Fewer ports so I had to buy an adapter for my external monitor and another for my camera's SD card. My bluetooth keyboard will work with it.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:06 pm

Just ran in to see if Kathryn was okay. Just saw on FB that there was a tornado on the ground up near Gatineau, Quebec, which is near where she lives.

Glad to see her post ^^^

Dh burnt the meat badly, but we still tried to eat the thicker pieces. We figured that between the marinade and the fat in the meat, we should have done the meat differently. As I reminded dh when he tried to apologize... "None of us are perfect."

I need to flip the wash into the dryer and get it going.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”