Opportunities abound - Monday -love me some Monday pwyc

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Opportunities abound - Monday -love me some Monday pwyc

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am

Kathryn, you are feeling depressed these days aren't you? I hope you're not offended by my comment but I can hear it in your "voice" because I've been there. Would talk therapy help? I worry that the solitude of the next four weeks isn't so good for you?

I am going to eat a lunch wrap and empty the dishwasher and head to the grocery/drugstore next. I've done all the a.m. routine except for kitchen clean up and emptying dishwasher. We still have a lot of things to put away from the trip on the counters.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 am

All you bright minds out there I am stuck on a math problem, can't find the right calculator online.

Anybody have any idea: what is .32 of a foot in inches?

And what is .37 of a foot in inches?

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:50 am

Hope your weather starts improving, Kathryn. We're quite windy and pretty doggone chilly here too. I won't be walking outside for sure. Something you said 'sparked' a reply from me but now I can't figure out what it was. Oh well.

Went to town with dd to the $ store and got a few of the things on my list. Mostly cheaper than the bigger stores. Was going to stop on the way back for our mail but just when we started I realized the post office box key was in our car. We don't often have much anyway.

This cold is hanging on. I had figured on going for my labs this morning but didn't I forget and take my T med first thing? So it's a 'have to do' tomorrow morning first thing.

I just did a very dumb thing. Took a bottle of Mt dew out of the fridge & thought to myself I must have put a partial bottle back in the fridge yesterday. Took 1 swig & the second was in my mouth when I thought how very sweet and smooth it was! Too late -spit that moutful out. Only then did I remember that dh put the rest of the hummingbird food in an old bottle & it's plainly marked but did I look at it first? Oh no, of co
rse not! Thank goodness my blood sugars have been fairly low. Not sure if I'll tell him or not.

I'm sure not getting my steps in the last few days!! Will talk to my doctors about the light headedness I'm experiencing from time to time. I've been very careful to note when it happens. And it's usually when I get out of the car & head into a store/restaurant. I just had a really tough bout when dd stopped out front for me. Just stood & held onto the car & my cane for a bit. After I was in for a minute I was fine. Part of me wonders if my BP is dropping too much. I'm sure there's more testing in my future. But I don't dare just let it go. I don't experience when I get up from bed but probably because I always sit for minute or so before I get up.

I coughed a lot during the night too, Twins. Came out to the recliner around midnight & it was better. Gets pretty cool in here right now though. Have the thermostat set at 70 but it still feels cool when I get out from under the blankets.

Multiply the .32 x 12 and .37x12 -think it's 3.84" & 4.44"
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:54 am

I have never wanted to 'kill' a bird, but I'm reaching my limit on this cardinal that keeps flying at all of our windows -all day long! I wonder if it thinks there's bugs there or what? Driving me zonkers.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:55 am

But then I'm stuck with what is .84 and .44? I'd like to ring someone's neck for giving us these numbers this way.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:58 am

Do a search in your browser for feet to inches. It will show you the conversion

You can convert the decimal to fractions to count the marks on ruler
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:14 pm

I've been sitting here thinking like a quilter. If a 16th of an inch is 6.25 of the whole of that inch, then 7/16ths is 43.75, and 43.75 is at least a very close approximation of ".44 of an inch". So, .44, to me, in the way a contractor would speak, is closer to 7/16s of an inch than any other "language". So for the 4.44, I think "4 and 7/16s inch" is what may be a reasonable translation into contractor-speak. That is, unless you want to get into 32nds of an inch. (should I smile here?)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:23 pm

Twins: we have no insurance for talk therapy so moving to a place with sunshine would be cheaper. The doc had told me last fall I could use meds but I'm convinced this is weather related. Of course, it is possible the weather will never improve ever again and I will spend the rest of my days in prison for having hunted down and killed some idiot that annoyed me on the internet. Then I'll take the drugs.

But for now, noticing how much better and optimistic and hopeful I am when I get a few days of sunshine or feel the warmth of sun on my skin, I don't want to spend 6 weeks ramping up drugs and learning to live with the side effects and have everyone say "See, you needed the drugs!" when the same six weeks will take us to the middle of summer here and, for God's sake, there should be some sun and warm weather by then. I didn't say hot weather, I said warm weather. We've broken 70 only a couple of days so far this year this year.

The issue with my thinking is that I came to that conclusion towards the end of MARCH. At that point, I was once again so down I was willing to consider drugs if my mood didn't improve when good weather came, but I wasn't willing to do drugs until we eliminated weather as the cause for the depression since we already know grey weather depresses me. In regular conversation with people IRL, the weather is causing the majority of them some depression. So to go on meds for something that is environmental and not unique to me or a small group of post-concussion sufferers makes no sense to me. Sure we can medicate society. Or we can learn to deal with the weather.

I don't mind going out on bad days (and even a grey day will provide more light than my SAD light.)

I mind being promised a gorgeous day at 7 in the morning and the only sunlight I get is a few minutes at supper time. This has happened so often in 2019, I had to stop listening to the weather. I've flirted with the idea of starting a GoFundMe to hire a hitman for our weather guy, but have decided boycotting weather makes more legal sense.

I'm actually looking forward to dh being gone. It takes a lot to stir me to do something and he doesn't want to do anything most days except stand at his keyboard. So I find myself staying at mine.

I can't tell you how many times I've got up to do something like vacuuming and heard him start a conference call so had to abort my start at being productive. Or feel like I'm disturbing him because he shuts himself away when I have the TV on. I'll be able to work without headphones on because I can listen to podcasts without them.

I can spread out, make the mess Konmari requires and not feel guilty.

If I decide I want a walk, I can go when the sun comes out (as long as I truly believe there will be no tornados.) When he's here, I'll say "I'm ready to go outside for a walk, do you want to come?" , he'll say, "just one more thing", and an hour later the good weather will be fading and I'll ask him and he'll say, "I was waiting for you." Standing in the front hall with all my gear on doesn't work. I've tried. Plus it is boring.

I can eat the way I want to eat. It doesn't help that he makes french fries to have with things like tourtiere, that has potatoes as part of the recipe. Or that his french fries are hard to resist. Or that that means the deep fryer has to drain so dishes can't be started until 2+ hours after dinner and all the fryer has to be cleaned.

I can go to bed when I want and not be woken up by him coming to bed 80 minutes later (i.e. at an inopportune part of my sleep cycle.)

I have two church services to work on so I'll be forced out for that. And 7 days away at a cottage (with whatever assortment of children come.) The cottage has a screen porch in case it is rainy. It has a fireplace in case it is cold. It has a dock and a boat and a beach and a bbq in case the weather is gorgeous. And it will be away from the sound of traffic. And it will be less windy than here (we're swaying today with 44 mph winds so I can't have the windows open and the apartment is getting muggy.)

So I'm not worried about being on my own making my depression worse. I'm worried that the weather won't break. Ever. And I will have to move.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Fresh sheets on my bed. And all my linens dumped onto it. So I'll have to get that done by bedtime. The guest bed sheets are clean and folded because I haven't done the travel stuff yet.

I'm going to have a snack and then get to work on it.

Tonight's dinner is defrosting in the fridge. Hamburg chowder. With a salad. And fruit for dessert.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks for trying to help a very numbers - challenged gal here! I did find what Dee said, and then I understand where Harriet got the 13/16 which is a 3/16th less than an inch. Which is almost 1/4 of an inch, see then my mind gets lost. Then I think .44 is 44/100 right? so my calculator makes that .01 and what does that even mean? There is no help all the way to the end of the internet. College guy with calculus in his brain couldn't help. LadyM's suggestion gets me to the last digits which is near impossible.

The road dept. gets this stuff through their transit. They probably don't do the conversion either...but DH needs feet, inches and at least 1/4 or 1/16 of an inch. When he is done they will inspect using their transit again. Good grief!

If it was material instead of a steel pipe, it would just stretch a little or ease it up a bit...right Harriet?

Well beside all this nonsense which I've been after half the morning, I cleaned up the kitchen and have a LOL hanging up.

Return to “Post When You Can”