Thursday For Sure

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thursday For Sure

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Nancy: I had chicken soup for dinner tonight. An odd meal on the first warm, sunny, day we've had but that was what I thought of having on Tuesday (the night it was under 40 overnight!)

It was very good. I have another meal of it in the fridge now.

My childhood best friend called and I had to say I couldn't talk because I was too tired of listening to people. But we set up a brunch for next week.

I've posted for accountability on the KonMari reddit sub thread. I have only 11 days between now and then to work on this. And not all of those are full days. That's scary.

I'm now going to work for 15 minutes on my sermon, then wash up dishes and go to bed.

I'm exhausted and I have a lot of work to do before dh gets home so I need to start in on that first thing in the morning.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:05 pm

LadyM -- I'm so glad you had such a good afternoon with your dgs, and I hope things work out for dd again. She does seem to have an amazing talent for finding new jobs, though!

Blessed, I am going to try to hold that thought -- about putting it in a bubble and blowing it away -- regarding a VERY DPC today... and I don't think the d stands for "dreaded." More like dreadful. Or something else. I'll get back to that...
And btw -- that was a great idea to call the maid service! It will help you relax so much and start off on a better foot when your dmom returns.

Raining here too and at this point, I have done nothing much indoors (or out, of course). As soon as I put the supper dishes away, however, I will return to the bathroom paper declutter. (That sounds so odd -- not THAT kind of paper, LOL!)
I'm taming that paper tiger with you, Nancy! WTG on all you've accomplished!

(((Dee))) Hugs and prayers for you and your family on this difficult day.

small stuff that doesn't seem like much unless it isn't done.

Yep, LadyM... so much of life is made up of that "small stuff," isn't it?

Cathy, we had hamburgers for supper, with strawberries and watermelon! :lol: And potato chips. We're kind of at the end of the groceries, LOL. DS & DDIL were having Manwich sandwiches and macaroni and cheese. I used to do hamburger helper a lot. I don't know why I quit -- but I bet it is too high in sodium for dh now. (He says if he's going to "splurge" then he's going to eat out and get something he really wants. Tomorrow night we are splurging on take-out from a fish/shrimp fundraiser... and it's a real splurge b/c it's $12 a plate and we invited ds & family to join us.)

Waving to Rose -- I don't think caffeine even affects me. I'd have to have a TON of it before it would keep me awake, I think. DH drinks nothing but decaf, except for one Sundrop cola or other similar drink in the morning. Of course, if we eat out, he gets unsweetened tea, and in restaurants it always has caffeine, but he really tries to avoid it.

(((Kathryn))) -- Oh my -- I was exhausted just reading about your visit with your dsis... (((HUGS))) That chicken soup you -- and Nancy -- are cooking sounds good too...

~~~ SKIPPABLE RANT RE: MY DPC ~~

* sheesh * :evil:

We got a notice from dh's life insurance today. This policy that he was promised would only cost $100 annually has suddenly reached zero balance in cash value and now they want $375 within the next two months and $95 monthly for the rest of his life, I suppose. It's one of those policies that parents take out for their kids when they're young. DH's parents paid the premiums until 1988 -- probably 30 years or so -- and at that point, the company changed hands. But the premiums remained the same, $100/year, and we continued paying it.
The policy is (WAS!) for $25,000... so I suppose we are only out about $3000, right? But for goodness sake, it is infuriating to think you have $25,000 in life insurance and then find out you've thrown away $3000 for nothing.
DH says, well, what it amounts to is that we paid for basically a TERM life insurance policy when we thought we had a WHOLE LIFE policy, and if something had happened to him in the first 40 years of our marriage, we would have been covered, and that would have been much more important in the time that ds was in college and all that... but still -- I am just disgusted with these people. And pretty much told them so.
I mean, I can see an increase in price, but an increase that amounts to more than 10 times what he was told? Nooooo... dh said to just let it expire and be cancelled. He said I could bury him with our the money we have in savings.

We have a friend who had this same policy, and suspected these people were shady back in 1988 when they changed hands. He cancelled his policy then. DH said we should have. It is not any well-known company -- something like Life Insurance of A labama, with some other company, N ational G uardian Life Insurance, I think -- handling the policies now.

I have a life insurance policy with W oodmen of the W orld. Same situation, my grandfather purchased it when I was a child. I have never paid a penny on it. It was supposedly paid up when I turned 21, I think. It goes down in cash value each year, but the amount of life insurance increases. I should really talk to someone about it, to make sure this same thing isn't going to happen to me in a few years. I rarely ever even look at the statements, but dh said I have about $48,000 in life insurance on it now. I think W oodmen is a more reputatable company thought, than this "Life Insurance of A labama."
* sheesh *

~~~
Anyway -- blowing all that away in a bubble,
and thinking how to organize all the papers and clippings with wonderful tips for how to deal with anxiety, and what plan works best for each of y'all, (b/c yes, I've printed them all out!) and exercise routines and spiritual guidance and sample pages for planners and bullet journals and prayer journals...
It's kind of insane. The "paperless" aspect of the internet just created a million more things for me to read and print out! :shock: :roll:
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Nancy, I'm glad he was feeling better and hope it continues.

HRH had a good morning Monday morning, got a lot done with energy, then it was back to feeling weak, so we're having a back-and-forth recovery. I asked him how he was today and he said, "Just wishing for another morning like Monday". Even so, he drove dd's truck to the auto shop to be checked out and I picked him up. So he can say he accomplished something. He likes their mechanics, enjoyed car conversation, was happy when they said he'd diagnosed one small problem correctly.

I got a birthday gift sent off in the mail today.

Some declutter of clothes.

Pulled all the flowers I could onto the porch in prep for some worse weather.

Kathryn, it must be difficult for your sister, when she leaves you behind after a visit, knowing how confused you are about so many things, and that you won't have her to correct you after she's left. Hmmm. About the hearing, maybe next time try to see if she understands you better if she is looking at you as you speak. That would at least be something you could aim for as a remedy. It's nice you had this visit and she saw your grands. Last visit you were struggling after the concussion to deal with conversation with her - in the car, I think - and this time you didn't mention that problem.

lucylee, I have to say that I don't think 16 inches of saved pages/articles is too big a deal. That may not be a sensible view, just noting that it's not a particularly shocking amount if you perceive value in it. This would be my problem with it, though : is it out-of-date information? If it's nostalgically interesting, there could be value, and if it's good solid info anyway, there could be value.

But what I have found (and what has finally made me toss some pages or mags) is that I can't tolerate off-base information that hasn't stood the test of time. Even if I can personally forgive a piece that's mostly okay but has some inaccuracies because I know better, I don't want others to find it in my "library" and get wrong advice. Some for-instances would be Shape magazine and Prevention magazine, who used to have what I thought was great health info that I would save. Generally, I look at those now and toss them, wondering 'what was I thinking'. It's the information age, and we aren't going to be satisfied any more by shallow articles on "conventional wisdom".

Pages on things of beauty that have inspired us - decor, art/craft, gardening - these are harder to let go because the inspiration is still valid.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 pm

Yes, Harriet, I see your point. Some of my stuff may be outdated; some I look and think, "WHY did I save THAT?"
Some will be harder to part with, so thanks for your reassurance that this is not excessive.
The measurement does include a couple of loose-leaf binders, and some 4x6 photo albums, so it's not strictly 16 inches of paper only. :)

So glad HRH is feeling some better and able to have some ta-da's for his day!

DH here is complaining with stomach cramps. I think he fears I poisoned him at supper -- his insurance doesn't expire for 60 days. ;)
I promise y'all, I have NOT poisoned him! (I think we overdid it on fruit at supper; I had a bit of an upset too. But ooohhh... it was so good! Fresh strawberries and watermelon from local grower.)
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Hello, Lilac!!! How are you??? I've been missing you!
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 pm

Y'all say a little prayer for me to have courage and overcome my tendency to agoraphobia and travel phobia!
Dmom wants to go see Frankie Valli -- he will be at a nearby venue in July. I am thinking about offering to take her if she will buy the tickets. I just can't spring for a $100+ ticket at this time, but if she wants to put the money into it, I figure I can commit to that sort of trip; it's not much more travel than some of her doctor's appts have been and it would certainly be more fun!
Tomorrow is another day.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi lucylee! I am fine, just so much going on around me. I guess I need to do a MO post when I have time but just can't seem to accomplish that. At least I have been able to keep caught up on everyone's posts.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:32 pm

I see lilac too!!!! Waving to you Lilac dear :D We miss you!!!

Lilac... don’t worry just give us a quick view if you want and then jump back in and join us again!
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:50 am

I have sorted another tray of paperwork. That helps. I got a note book organized,
and planner sorted a bit more.
I felt puny this afternoon I am doing better.
Way to go every one on all your progress!

We are watching a movie together this evening.
The sky cleared off, and sunset was lovely tonight. Looking forward to better weather tomorrow.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:42 am

WTG, Nancy!
I’ve cut down my stack a lot too —
I now have a folder for health stuff/doctor info,
a folder for all my anxiety reduction tips, and
a folder for scriptural clippings and printouts.
Tomorrow I will work on — LOL — organizing the organization folder! :)

No worries, Lilac! Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”