From Friday springs the weekend!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

From Friday springs the weekend!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:54 am

I love the line from Downton Abbey when the Dowager Countess Lady Grantham asks, "What is a weekend?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfpBW-nUWk

To be honest it is something that at-home mothers can also ask. One day runs into another without an apparent pause.

But once I seriously set up my Basic Weekly Plan, I attempted to create a weekend for my family, making sure many of my daily tasks could be safely left for Monday so the days would be more open to take advantage of no school.

Now, semi-retired, I need to be aware of the weekend because that is when I do not want to be running errands!

What will you be doing to make sure you have an excellent weekend?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: From Friday springs the weekend!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 am

It looks like I'll be able to drop off the refugee furniture today which reduces my drives to that distance subdivision, nicknamed Far-Haven, to just 2x this week, not three. I'll also gas up the car for the upcoming week and pick up some groceries for next week.

I need to cook up the bacon I have on hand so that I can freeze it and take that with me, all ready to heat up quickly. That will save washing up time during the holiday.

I slept well and was out of bed by 6:20 so I've been sending emails, sorting through my giveaway stuff to find more things for the refugees, and chatting with dh. Now it is time to hit the shower.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:43 am

Thanks for opening the thread, Kathryn.

My week so far:
Monday in constant motion at work. The library had been closed for 5 days for inventory and cleaning. Our regulars all came in to bring back a stack of books and take out more. Parents and kids survived the end of the school year and came in to sign up for summer activities. Teenage babysitters brought in their little kids to our playroom for free fun. A steady stream of people of all ages came in and out of our doors and filled all the spaces. Plus, the new teenage staff member came for her first day of training. I wonder what she told her parents after that crazy first day?

Tuesday I stayed home and tried to get caught up in general.

Wednesday I finally had the proper combination of time and energy for a large job. I cleared a section of floor in the bedroom, emptied a set of bookshelves, and replaced them with a more sturdy set of shelves. It's quite a small room so the books had to go in boxes and then most of them on the bed, with the rest in the little hall between the bedroom and bathroom. That kept me on task because I had to get all those boxes off the bed before we could sleep that night, and there wasn't anywhere else to put them except on the new shelves. The old shelves had to be taken apart and the new ones assembled in the small corner. Next part of that project will be to sort through the books; I saw several that I'm pretty sure I can donate to the next book sale. No time to go through them yet, though, way too many other projects to do this summer.

With a little cleaning, the old shelves can be used in another room. They'll be fine for holding other things, just not heavy books. That's a project for another day.

Yesterday was back to the library, not quite as crazy as Monday but still plenty of people. Our goal was to sign up 1000 people to our special June & July activities. They don't have to have a library account to participate and don't even have to read, although reading earns them extra chances to win the prizes. People can still register through the end of June, but we've already passed our goal. When I left last night, the list was at 1025. To put into perspective, the population of TinyTown is just over 2400. Obviously, people from surrounding towns and rural areas are coming in, too. We've built up a reputation over the years of having fun summer activities and giving away lots of great prizes for all ages. I can't take credit for any of it, as it's all organized and run by our children's librarian. She has terrific ideas and is a very hard worker. Local businesses and individuals donate cash to buy the bigger prizes, and this year especially we've received donations of very nice smaller prizes from some regular patrons.

Today I need to run errands, the refrigerator and freezer are almost totally bare. While I'm in TheBigCity, I'll meet a good friend for lunch. I love her, she's always in a great mood and we laugh a lot. I'm also looking forward to falafel pita sandwich with mediterranean salad.

Now, where did I put my grocery list? I had it here on my desk last night, where did it go after that? :?

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 am

lol I lived by calendar when I had the kids and babysat - with all the kids being in so many different things and caring for family etc., lol I don't remember not relying on my fridge calendar. I noticed d mom not realizing the days or the date as her life has changed. (yesterday I had to give her my dates from my calendar so that she is not looking for me when I am out 8-) - she can still call.)

d kathryn thank you so much for a lovely beginning. I love this:
FROM FRIDAY SPRINGS THE WEEKEND!

the video cracked me up! so funny! loved it.
What a good thing you do for others! Really wonderful and amazing!

d book good morning you have been busy!!! awesome! I am so happy you are able to meet up with such a lovely friend! Enjoy every minute!!!!

Wishing both of you and everyone a lovely day!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

I hadn't planned on sitting for an hour and twenty minutes; but, I did!!!

dd younger flies in at 2 pm. yay!

so this morning is basic routines, dailies
and hopefully painting the arbor at 10 am and work on plants

it's going to be wonderful to have strong young bodies her to move some stuff.

Wishing you a brilliant day! Happy Friday!

also d lynn - I am waving at you.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

I got up early the birds & dog got me up today.
Journaling & planning done.
I need to start a load of laundry befor heading out to paint ceiling on the shed.
The forecast is a bit cooler here today yea for that.
I did get to the dishes last night, they are rinsed. :roll:
I have been walking the dog around the block before I start painting. I was hoping to be done by now.
My weekend was Wed. Rest day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:11 am

Been wasting time here this morning. Need to get the dishes done & my hair washed. Have an appointment at 1pm for heart echo cardiogram. If he had the records from FL he might not have to do it as I know they did one there.

Cold, nasty, windy & rainy out today. Dh was supposed to go about 75 miles from here later today with DS-A & DGS6 to go racing, Weather doesn't look all that promising however.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:03 am

Did the dishes, washed my hair. Then it dawned on me I needed to do my meds list for Dr appointment today. Which then led me to remember I had to redo dh's meds list to reflect what he's now taking for the fluid retention. He'll take that with him so maybe he can talk with the PA if she has a free moment this afternoon.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:53 am

Last night was so quiet with no kids. I slept the entire night with no interruption. No kids crawled into my bed and I didn't get up to check on kids. At DS10 request, DD brought him home this morning. So we had about 14 hours of no kid care. Life has returned to our normal.

Kathryn - Thanks for the start and the treat of seeing Downton Abbey. I love watching that show!

Last night I used the quiet time to do some research & thinking about 6th-grade curriculum. There are hundreds of choices for schooling.
What we have been doing has worked well to teach the basic but now that DS10 has those mastered it is time to look at the bigger picture. I don't want to go through homeschool with blinders on and to limit DS10. So I continue to evaluate different schooling option to challenge DS10 but not to overwhelm him. It requires some thought of keeping his learning style in the forefront.

I settled on these subjects for the upcoming 6th Grade. The curriculum I have chosen has clearly written lessons plans for each class. Once I settle on subjects and curriculum then I ordered some books. So now I'll wait for them to arrive to organize everything.
** Math
** Reading
** Language Art
** Computer
** Prophets
** Modern History
** Modern Art
** Modern Music
** Physics/Chemistry
** PE/Health

Add in extra weekly lessons/clubs with others -
** Piano lessons
** 4H
** STEM
** Band

I'm pleased with the selection and at peace that I've done my best in making the choices for DS10 schooling. It was a busy night with lots f choices but I'm thankful for the quiet time to accomplish this.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:03 am

Today's biggest focus is to get DMIL moved to her home from rehab facility. Whether she can continue to live alone in her home is unknown but her children have decided to give DMIL the chance to try. There will be many people coming in to help on a daily basis. It will take some doing to get all the right help provided at the right time. The biggest unknown is how DMIL will do. Will she continue to work hard on rebuilding her strength or will she quit?

I've ordered some things for my DMom and they will be delivered to her home today. I need to follow up on that.

Next up =
** Personal AM dailies
** Drink & food prep dailies
** Front porch dailies
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”