Saturday Why - pwyc

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
lucylee

Re: Saturday Why - pwyc

Postby lucylee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:19 pm

I guess yesterday was a good day for the WHY in my life. Just enjoying time with dh — and the rest of our family — is really my number one priority.

Today I am going to get some Sunday errands done — groceries. Dh said he wouldn’t want to go tomorrow till after college baseball game, which doesn’t start till 6:30! So I’m going by myself today. His watch broke and he wants me to get him a new one.
Plus I am going BACK to that stupid skating rink and try AGAIN to get some response. If everyone else has this much trouble, I don’t see how they ever have bday parties there!
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Have ya ever had one of those crafting days when nothing goes right? That's where I am today. After piddling around trying to do a Father's day card, I realized we had made one at the May stamp club. I didn't like the inside of it so I took that out and redid it. Also in that bag from May, which I hadn't put away was two packs of cardstock that I had ordered - unfortunately i ordered a second pack of one of the colors this month without realizing I already had it. So I took the time to stamp a bit and nothing was coming out right! I smudged everything, or put the stamp down and moved it, or whatever. I took a little time to clean up and I'm done. I need to go back upstairs and get my phone, tho.

And I'll head on out to see dmom then. End of lunch so we'll see how she is doing with the meal.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:03 pm

stopped at barnes and nobles and bought dh a gift card. He is truly a hard man to buy for. I have an idea for his birthday or Christmas but that is more expensive than a fathers day are a birthday.

stopped by store for chicken burgers for us tomorrow and water for d mom (dropped it off already)
groceries put away yay
We still have 2 hours before heading out and I think I will focus on paperwork etc.

I still need to swish and swipe dh's bathroom.
I still need to vacuum the first floor
I still need to swish the kitchen floor
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:09 pm

hello d dee - I love goulash - save some for me 8-) :D
hope your ds and your d gs have a wonderful time!
I am praying for you that your stress levels about the stress test disappears.

hello d twins! Yes I have had days like that - especially with sewing. I just have to give up for the day 8-)

I love your why, d lucy - enjoying your time with your loved ones!
good luck on the skating rink

hi d kathryn - well done on blocking your time for tidying up! I know the family will love what you bring!

d nancy - I am sorry your blood sugars were off last night! hope it is better tonight

wishing you all the best!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi!

Got a bunch of glass jars put around the house here and there. It looks wonderful!

I told dh that I had fallen off the dish wagon. He laughed a bit and said that, yes, I had. I did all the pots and pans this morning.

I cleaned up the stuff that had been messing up the entrance to the pantry. Even vacuumed as much of the rug that I could.

Tonight's supper will be sausages, but not BBQed. It's so windy here. It rains a bit and then stops. No sun today.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Back from a couple of errands I should have skipped lunch ack! At least I was smart enough to skip dessert!
I need to change the laundry over.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Dsil looked over the car when I arrived at his house and announced the stroller wouldn't fit.

I looked at the pile to come in the living room and most was in small bags or loose items, just one bin and one suitcase, so I said we'd start by loading the stroller.

The seats come off it so it was just the frame. On its edge, there was a large empty space my suitcase fit into perfectly. Then we added the rest of the stuff. The car is undoubtedly stuffed. But dd and dsil had not intended the stroller seats would come (dgd's car seat fits onto it but there would be no seat for dgs) so I told dsil to pass me the seat and put it on the front seat of the car and buckled in place. It is now buried under other stuff which I need to more safely store is case of shifting but there's room for everything, assuming my 'placeholders' were big enough.

I bought groceries on the way home and managed to get that into the car and then I brought up my suitcase and the cooler and my computer bag/purse. I brought up the big pot (dsil claims he won't need it) and I'm going to check to see if they have a kettle in the kitchen. That means reading reviews.

I stayed for a long time after loading the car visiting with the grandkids. Dgs is going through the 'making strange' stage and was clinging to his dad when I arrived. Which frustrated dsil because he had spent the whole morning listening to "When is Nana coming?" and then, once I said I was on my way, "Is Nana here?" over and over. Then I show up and he hides! Dgd, on the other hand, wasn't around when I arrived and was put in the high chair with her back to the door. So when I sat down beside her she looked over, recognized me and then excitement and joy filled her whole body. She doesn't just smile with her face, or face and eyes, but with her whole body. She is hilarious. I need to film this reaction to post to the Konmari board since it really looks like she's experiencing "spark joy"!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:11 pm

how long can family support dmom/dmil in homes?

I don't know. We are just taking it day to day.

DBro and I decided to just let DMom be for as long as possible. We are keeping stress as low as possible. DMom is confused more and more but there are times that she is thinking clearly. She still takes care of daily business on her own. She has very rigid habits in place that serve her well. I really want DMom to stop driving and have told my siblings that I think it is time. I think that would reduce the chance of her hurting someone else a thousandfold. DBro and DSis say to let DMom continue driving so I'm outvoted.

I drove DMom's vehicle about 100 miles yesterday. I was not comfortable driving it and will avoid doing so in the future. DMom's vehicle is a Pontiac Van so it isn't a small vehicle, but it sure felt like it was to me. It is lightweight and low to the ground when compared to what I am used to driving. The vehicle is in great working order but I did not feel safe driving it over 60mph. It felt like the wind could blow it off the road. Driving 20 miles below the flow of traffic on the interstate made me very uncomfortable and praying for safety. DMom has a pillow taped to the headrest on the driver's side to limit how much her head can bobble backward (Parkinson) while she is driving. There was no easy way to remove the pillow so I had my chin on my chest while driving.

DBro had reverse shoulder replacement surgery on Wednesday so he can't help with DMom for a couple of weeks. That put most of DMom's care on me.

DSis is available to help but it is less drama if I just do it myself. DSis and I get along because we rarely talk. We agree to disagree on almost every subject. Ditto for DBro & DSis. (For example...DSis doesn't go to the doctor EVER and thinks it is ridiculous for DMom to go to doctor. So I do all of DMom medical things with zero help from DSis. ) DSis expects to be paid for everything she does for DMom. DBro and I know this so since DDad died we monitor DMom's bank account and keep it at a set level. If DMom checking account drops below that level we deposit money into her account raising it back up to that predetermined level. That makes DMom mad when we do that. So DMom knows she can't give DSis so much money that it will drop her account below that set level or it will cause DBro and I to deposit money from our account to hers. It probably sounds weird but it works.

This morning I got DMom's meds straighten out at both pharmacies then I brought the missing prescription to her house. I am sooooo hoping this anxiety med calms DMom. I gave DMom the new med and then I stayed to make sure she didn't have a reaction. So far I don't see a change in DMom. I'm pretty sure DMom was mad at me when I left but that is par for the course. While I was there, DMom told me that DGD8 hair was not fixed right (I had it in a french braid). She told DS10 his hair was too long and that I needed to get him a hair cut. No matter what I do or how I do it, DMom tells her opinion about how it could be done better.

Then DH and I teamed up to get DMIL an electric recliner. I didn't realize how heavy those chairs are!! ANYway, we got DMIL living room furniture rearranged and the electric recliner in place. DMIL cried (in joy) and shook her finger at us telling us to not spend any more money on her. DMIL has such a gentle soul and is so thankful for every single thing we do. Even getting her a drink of water brings an expression of gratitude and thankfulness.

Next up -
** Living room dailies
** Front porch dailies
** Swim pool dailies
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:41 pm

I just called UPS to confirm they will hold my computer until I get back.

They are not open until the next business day.

I am gone tomorrow. I'm really annoyed.

I'm 'receiving' another parcel from DHL next week as well. Again, I had no control over the shipping so didn't mean to time it to arrive now. With that, I'm hoping it gets caught in customs but the people who ordered in the US all got theirs yesterday and I can't imagine things being tied up for a week either.

Sigh....

I hope that item doesn't get shipped back since I'm not here to respond to a shipping notice (duty will be due on the item so it isn't as if it can just be left at my door.)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Boy when I read the stuff a lot of you are going through, my life seems quiet and boring in comparison.

LadyM, I sure hope all the elder care works out well and y'all don't become overwhelmed.

Wasn't feeling especially well yesterday and sorta lost the whole day doing nothing. I figured out last night that I'm not sleeping great so I've been tired during the day.

At least I continue to keep the basic things done, and dinner has been cooked ahead..so it could be worse. Waiting for rain to come. DH wants to burn a bunch of stuff outside. Hoping tomorrow is better.

Dee, can't they do the stress test by injection instead of making you use the treadmill? That's what they did for DH since he can't do an incline with his ankle. He said the only thing he felt was heavier breathing.

Return to “Post When You Can”