Saturday Why - pwyc

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lynlee

Re: Saturday Why - pwyc

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:28 pm

hugs and prayers.
for elder and recovery care.
for peace and acceptance of all the family members before the end of time stuff gets near.
I guess that last one is for all of us, no matter our age or condition of our families.

Hoping your Saturday was a good one.

I've caught up in the kitchen and it stayed that way overnight.
washing is up to date.
knitwear came in yesterday, origarmied, and fitted in my knitwear drawer. Blucky polar fleece top came out. I'm not sure where it will live.

I need to leave to walk to church.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Trying to cuop and read about MHW's daughter choking the other day. That brought back memories of something that happened about 20 years ago.

Dd2 was stilled married to her 1st and 2nd husband and he worked evenings. They were both full time college students. Dgd 22 was under 3 yr. old at the time. One evening her dh was working and she had called me. While we were talking, dgd had opened one of those fat red and white mints that S onic gives you and she got choked on it. Dd2 says E is choking, call 911 and she hung up. The problem was they lived 5 hours away. I quickly told dh what was going on and we agreed I should call our 911. I explained that this wasn't a joke and I needed their help. They agreed to contact the 911 in the town where dd2 lived. In the meantime dd2 had done the Heimlich on dgd and the mint had flew across the room. While doing that she had called her local 911. Once the mint was out, she had called their regular line and told them the emergency was over. But since it involved a minor they had to come anyway. They were very happy to see dgd was fine and let her pick a stuffed animal. Dd2 called and told me everything was fine but we were both still shook up at what a close call it was. I was going to call our local police dept on their non emergency line to thank them, but they called me to make sure everything had worked out. She also told me that she knew it was serious and not a joke by the distress in my voice. She told me you can't fake the fear she heard. I thanked her again. I knew that I had to make that initial call because what if dd2 didn't realize it would take me longer to get her help and dgd choked to death.

As I sit here 20 years later, I can still remember how helpless and scared I felt. And now that dgd is getting married 2 weeks from tonight.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:31 pm

I napped. Weeded 25 min. With hula hoe, rode stat bike 15 min. Trying to get bs down to more acceptable range.
Folded 2 loads of laundry. Watered garden plants & roses.
We had to set up plan for father's day, dd called & texted. So plan is set up for lunch,
I let dson know & that there was no pressure if he had other plans.
I am not feeling the best my ear is acting up.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Lilac, that is quite the story! I teared-up a bit. It also goes to show how many people there are in the world forming a network to be there in an emergency.

The sun just came out which renders my computer unusable for the next 30 minutes or so. I didn't expect this. Which is unfair since now I recall reading the hourly forecast this morning and they said it was would be sunny at 8. The only sunshine we'd get all day. I simply thought they would be wrong.

I finished packing clothes, meds, food (except freezer/fridge) and I think I have everything I need. My suitcase closes easily - always a bonus!

I'll pack up my computer bag now. But not the computer.

I need to make posters, and get them up (or delivered) and send off an email. I need to send an email to dh as well.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm with LadyM on the elder care.

Vent building up......Dmom isn't improving a lot and I think it's time to "make the call" to get her into skilled nursing care. At assisted living they want to get her up to help get her strength back but OTOH she can't stay awake or feed herself and she is exhausted. Today she had missed an albuterol treatment because "they were getting her up for lunch"???? When I got there it was 1 p.m. and they hadn't gotten her out of bed yet. (Lunch is usually at noon.) If the nurse had given her the breathing treatment, it would have helped her wake up at least. I fed her lunch myself (as assisted living, they aren't supposed to do it) let her sit up a bit and had them put her back in bed in about two hours. Yesterday they tried to have her up from before noon to after 5 p.m. and she was too exhausted to eat at all in the evening.

The other issue was that there was a huge water leak in her room and the carpet was squishy wet and they had put her clean laundry in the hamper, which got wet from the floor. And stepping from wet carpet to the hardwood or tile floor was dangerous because it was slippery. There was a puddle of standing water in the bathroom. Around 1 p.m. the aide said something along the lines of "we'll have to use the wet/dry vac to get it up" but they made no move to take care of it. So I texted the nursing supervisor, who is out of town, to ask who to report it to, and she called the exec director who called me. The nurse on duty today (the one who missed the albuterol treatment) was the person in charge - I don't know whether the staff hadn't told him, or if he knew but didn't want to deal with it. So he finally got out the wet dry vac and got it up but the carpet is still damp and the room is humid from it. There's still enough moisture in the carpet that stepping onto tile or hardwood feels slippery.

So she rested some this afternoon and I fed her cream of chicken soup (probably Campbells) and a Dannon Fit and something or another yogurt full of sugar for supper. She liked it, I think. Then she finally got p.m. meds and I supervised albuterol treatment and they changed her and I got home at 7:45.

Today she didn't indicate she needed to go to the bathroom. I don't know about yesterday, but she did maybe on Tuesday?

And I'm not feeling great either. My ear hurts now and I still have a cough. Of course, sitting around in a damp room isn't good for anyone either.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Whew! So glad your story ended so happily, Lilac! Best wishes to the soon-to-be newlyweds!

(((Twins))) — it does sound like your dmom needs more attention than she’s getting at the moment. The stress of all this isn’t helping you get over your cold, either.

(((LadyM))) Big Hugs for you too.

———
Well, hooray for me — it only took 2 phone calls leaving voice mail, 3-4 FB messages, (ddil and myself) and 3 trips to the skating rink, but I finally have a receipt for dgs’ party and they have my $50 deposit. I won’t feel quite confident about all this till I see the skates on his feet... but we’ve done all we can. The receipt has the date and time on it.
Can’t believe how he’s growing up so fast... he’ll be 7 years old, nine days from now.
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:56 pm

(((Twins))) You gave the assisted living a chance. But it sounds like you've observed enough that she should be moved. I will add that here, there are some excellent nursing homes that do stimulate and try and get their patients to be active, if they can. Mom was out for walks lots and lots of times in the years she lived in the nursing home. But as she grew weaker, they let her be quieter.

So, if your mother rallies with proper medical care, she won't necessarily be warehoused if she moves.

My computer bag is mostly packed. Still need to put in the computer and my reading glasses.

I've been tidying as I go so only the kitchen is a mess now.

The sun is down enough that I can work on my computer again so I'll try and get my work done now. I'm not motivated, even with the deadline.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Good evening everyone. I wanted to check in and say hello!

We've had a quiet day, dh and I. Ds#2-J did stop in after his half-day at work to mow and trim. He came inside to visit for a few minutes, but wanted to get home to spend some time with ddil-Y and dgd17 before they leave for their trip. Dgd17 and a dfriend will be spending the week at Troy University for a band camp on Conducting. Ddil will stay in north FL for the week with her dparents, then pick the girls up to come home.

We've had rain here every day for the past week, most times with thunder and lightning. Forecast for today was 85*; it really was 88* (feels like was 94*). Our grass is green again and not crunchy! The lilies by our back fence are still blooming. I will miss seeing them.

Dfam#1 and their scout troop is on their way home from S Dakota. Ddil-D post a short video of their crossing the Mississippi River this morning at St. Louis. They were going to make a stop at the Arch, but it was raining and they decided not to stop. They are staying overnight in Chattanooga and will be home tomorrow.

Lady M, I hope your dmil gets settled in back home quickly and I hope the new RXs help your dmom.

Twins' Mom, I've been thinking about you and your dmom also! (((Hugs)))

Dee, hope your stress test goes well. I remember when my dmom had one, she was too shaky on the treadmill and they had to use the chemicals for hers.

Kathryn, wishing you and your dfam a wonderful vacation.

Lilac, wow, that's a scary memory. I'm glad dd was able to help dgd and that she was ok. Good to know that 911 departments will help each other with calls.

MHW, I'm glad your dd is ok!

I am using my little Acer lapbook today. This is the laptop that crashed in Aug 2017 while uploading that huge update on Win 10. I took it to a computer repair on Thursday and yesterday he called to say it was ready, and I picked it up. He installed the update that came in March and it works wonderfully; I'm learning Win 10 all over again. When I picked this one up I took my Toshiba laptop in and left that for a general cleanup, physically inside and software and to fix why no live stream videos will play.

It is dark outside now; I need to close the blinds and let dMinnie in again.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Well i am impressed! Our cardiologist just called dh at 9:15 on a Saturday night. He told dh right off he was glad dh talked to his PA when we went in Thursday afternoon. Told dh to stop taking one med he'd been taking for a couple years. Go back on his lasix & keep taking the new med his primary prescribed last week. Both the PA & Dr were obviously very concerned. I wrote everything down & got his Meds changed around. Then they'll see how everything is when dh goes in on Thursday. I'm sure Dr is on vacation in Connecticut so even more impressive.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Still have a mass email to write and send off. Still have posters to deliver to the other building. Still have bills to pay.

All that will wait for the morning.

I took a load of stuff down to the car when I put up posters in the two connected buildings. And I picked up my mail (2 more bills, so I'm glad I did) and then I washed up the dishes.

So the kitchen is clean for now. I'll mess it in the morning but not badly.

Off to bed now. If I rush, I'll get about 8 hours of rest.

Return to “Post When You Can”