Monday Maneuvers (not Inertia)

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Monday Maneuvers (not Inertia)

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:47 am

lucylee mentioned her problem with inertia last evening. Hers sometimes comes following shower-to-shoes. (I can see how that could happen. there's a lot of chores I don't want to do if I'm all attractive, lol.)

Mine usually comes after accomplishing one chore that actually does move me forward. In pondering that, I might find an excuse in some leg pain that then nags me to sit down, or some more mysterious thyroid tiredness, HOWEVER there's a definite suspicion on my part that I let my mind wander. (Nah, that would never happen to a sidetrackable person, would it? :| ) Do I sit and try to solve the world's problems? Brood about a perceived hurt/offence?

I looked up antonyms for inertia (with a partiality to "M"s) and maneuver was there, and I thought, "yes, let's".

So, here's the question of the day... ... when inertia gets in the way and BLOCKS, what are your smart ways to maneuver through/past it? Have you got some great offense or defensive plays (lol) to win over inertia?

Lynlee

Re: Monday Maneuvers (not Inertia)

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:13 am

for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
decision fatigue or whatever fatigue
hitting the wall
triggers and memories from a time long ago - that was unhelpful = perhaps also known as internalised messages/ beliefs and 'tapes'.

That's probably not what harriet had in mind, but I think those are keys to blocks.

Getting around a block is a maneuver I guess.

do things in part acts = begun is half done (thanks Dee), or part done at least. It might need a heap of part acts to get it to where you can see a difference.
drop the thought it 'all' should already be done perfectly, and beating up on self at every opportunity..
the flylady tacktic of beginning with one habit and consolidating /maintaining that before adding another. Though enthusiasm over that success can expand the process.
3Ds dinner, dishes, duds are a priority.
Encourage yourself for every effort you make.
Acting counts for more than relentlessly devising new methods.
Make it into a game as to what I do next, with no compunction to do everything on some imagined list.
Getting ready for helper coming is a big one, Or a furniture delivery deadline.
round robins between a number of designated destinations.
pick up 5 things and deal with them.
a chat room with people to cheer you on can help too. I guess if you are in the time zone pwyc was designed as that.
list only things done, or no todo list longer than 4 items.

I am hopefully getting better at cooking my evening meal earlier, and getting the dishes done before bedtime. Its a focus atm.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 am

Warning - a rabbit hole I fell into. What is the time white rabbit?
Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless an external force acts upon it. Similarly, if the object is at rest, it will remain at rest unless an unbalanced force acts upon it. Newton's First Law of Motion is also known as the Law of Inertia.
<…>
Newton's Second Law of Motion states that when a force acts on an object, it will cause the object to accelerate. The larger the mass of the object, the greater the force will need to be to cause it to accelerate.
<…>
Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
What this means is that pushing on an object causes that object to push back against you, the exact same amount, but in the opposite direction.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-are-newt ... ion-608324

I think we can contribute our own push back against our success, as opposed to other times we only need to get moving to stay moving.
So long as we don't fall off the edge of something, or hit a wall. :/
Just begin.
Living this day, today

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am

I had a wonderfully restful night sleep. I am thankful for it.

You can remove a part so that it doesn't start.

That won't work in DMom's case. Even if the family decided to disable DMoms vehicle, there are still many lifelong friends that would come at DMom's phone call to fix her vehicle. It a small town lifestyle where people have lived together for decades help each other. We would have to publish it in the newspaper and online so everyone would know not to fix DMoms vehicle. Doing that would embarrass DMom. Complete removal of the vehicle is the only way to stop DMom from driving. Until DBro and DSis are ready to do that, DMom will continue to drive.

So, here's the question of the day... ... when inertia gets in the way and BLOCKS, what are your smart ways to maneuver through/past it? Have you got some great offense or defensive plays (lol) to win over inertia?

Harriet - Thank you for the start today and excellent topic.

Keeping inertia away....hum..... I'm not always successful with this. Things that help me -

It is an attitude thing for me. I don't like to be lazy. There is a difference between the body needing to rest and just lollygagging around being lazy. (IMHO)

It helps when you are surrounded by others who are motivated. Most of everyone that I am around tend to be workaholics and busy all the time.

I lead by example. I expect DS10 and DGD8 to do their daily work but that doesn't go smoothly if I'm not doing mine.

I play games with myself to keep going. I post here the next 3 things I'm going to do. I don't allow myself to take a break & post again until those things are completed. I have a detail list of things that are to be done for each of the daily categories. I always check that list to make sure I have completed each of the detailed items. I am accountable to myself. It brings me joy when I see a long list of completions that I did in a day. No one else sees them, but I know.

Next up -
** Personal AM
** Kitchen dailies
** Swim pool dailies
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am

I love the this today: monday thoughts!

I am loving all these:
'time white rabbit"
"You can remove a part so that it doesn't start"
"internalized messages/ beliefs and 'tapes'." -"decision fatigue or whatever fatigue" "I think we can contribute our own push back against our success" so me!
"do things in part acts = begun is half done" so true for me as well
"Monday Maneuvers (not Inertia)" adore this for Monday

Just reading these is giving me energy which was much needed!

Hello d harriet!
hello d Lynlee!
Hello d lady!
Hello d lucy for giving inspiration for today's topic!
Hello d everyone!!!!

Wishing you momentum as you day/evening progresses!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 am

Then there's the inertia of waiting for other people to call back like I am this morning. Left message for the hospice social worker and the prospective nursing home social worker. I'm thinking now mother won't move until I get back from this trip. I just don't think that would be good for her. I'm not sure that moving her at all is good for her but I just don't know anymore.

I am still pretty stuffy and coughing and carrying on from this cold. I can't believe I am this sick with a summer cold, usually they sail on past with me feeling yucky for a day. My immune system is low right now, I'm sure.

I started laundry and am working my way through a.m. routine. Dog is already walked before day gets any hotter.

I am starting a list of what I need to do before I go away too and need to find a small block of time when it's not so hot out to prune the azaleas out front. Dh is insistent.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 am

I am going out, to lunch, with d sil (also an in law like me :D ) with dd younger.

The topic today is perfect for me. As I have to leave at 11:30 and probably won't head home until 3:30/4:00, I started to sink into: Well, I am not going to get anything done today, thinking. You can see why today's post was wonderful for me.

Instead of thinking I won't get anything done; because of this topic, I switched to thinking: wow what can I accomplish? It is amazing how attitude can effect my day!

I think I can get my home blessing done and pull a couple weeds with my handy dandy weed puller. 8-)

wishing you all a wonderful day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 am

I am up planning and journaling done.
I got dishes are loaded in the dish washer.
I have dumped trash.
Fridge is empty.

Waving to everyone have a great week.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 am

I am sending the "get rid of d twins cold" healthy thoughts to you d twins!!!
good morning and feel better!

hello d nancy waving back as well!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:56 am

I made a detour to look up times of alternate mtgs that are not at night or car dependant.
one website is much less user friendly with state wide mtgs no longer on one page and clearly stated with the times mentioned if I were to travel to the city. Another site to look at travel details.

Honestly - I was needing a wind down after today's mtg, looking for alternatives.
Same brand, different place an hr away by bus Tues.
An old brand, I wonder at returning to, 3 hrs train and bus to either of 2 locations. Tues or Thurs. leave before 7am though. I used often do thus.

I must apply a force to my body and move to warm my bed with me in it.
15c/60f inside atm.

ps - msg from dsil after 6pm - dd surgery complete, went well.
Just begin.
Living this day, today

Return to “Post When You Can”