Thoughtful Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Thoughtful Thursday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:12 am

Good Morning SHEville!

Lucylee built on my social media Sabbath idea last night by asking

I will sit and play Solitaire or Sudoku forever, knowing that I have a novel I would RATHER be reading, sitting right there on my nightstand. Explain that? (That's a rhetorical question, but if anyone CAN explain that, I'd be interested in the logic, because I see none, except that the draw of the phone is just too addictive.)

I'm exactly the same way. I have a stack of books I'm dying to read, but no time. Yet I put hours a day into social media, Word games, Solitaire, and Sudoku.

So perhaps we should share our thoughts/research on this.

Games on a smart phone are designed to be addictive, right down to making sure you can't see notifications or even the time on the screen.

Has any of us solved this conundrum of how to be connected with family and friends but not be consumed by the other stuff out there?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thoughtful Thursday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:17 am

I'm barely awake. Really groggy.

I forgot both my advil and my melatonin last night and finally remembered at 1 a.m. I texted dh to not call until I told him I was awake in the morning, took the pills, shut the windows in my room (so increased traffic noise wouldn't wake me and I could fully shut the blinds) and went back to sleep. Woke up at 5:45 but dozed until after 7:30.

I've chatted with dh and confirmed there is no reply from ds about breakfast together. I'm worried about him. But all I can do is offer any help he needs (refused) and offer a time together (didn't reply.)

Now my computer is acting really weird so I am preparing for a shut down. I really need to take the time to get my new computer up and running but I have a service and sermon to write and more stuff to do for the residents' association. I simply don't have time.

I'll be back later in the day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 am

In Madhouse's post last evening there were so many bits that struck a chord with me. Bastions of solace getting tainted - been there, done that, still can't shake it. And therefore not wanting to "people". Yes, sensible self-preservation at times. Wandering around the house doing little things but mainly like not accomplishing much of anything - I should wave at you when we pass!

Anyway, just wanting to say I identify. I have intrusive, detouring thoughts of my own, of disappointment in those trusted previously. It can become difficult to get on with the days, because now your poor brain is in a chess game of what-ifs.

The routines we have are certainly lifelines for those times. Hard to catch that lifeline while distracted, but we can do it! Getting into the swing of Dailies leads to whatever favorite household plan might be. You still wander sometimes, but more and more of the time you are walking purposefully.

Somebody mentioned lice...? The electric zappers are the way to go. They're in every pharmacy. Comb through hair and both the lice and their eggs are zapped without any chemicals. Fast.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:06 am

technically internet/games/ surfing does the same thing as many other addictive substances to brain chemistry, if I am to believe the books I've read.
guilty here also as charged.

Thursday
just a few showers today
as I said - guilty of mindless matching games, and cards and sudoku.
finally a bath and washed hair, otd to dry hair getting to the bus stop and time.
appointment. got some thanks for some links I'd sent.
walked home after the brief shower.
Glad to begin with my folding umbrella in use. Yes it lives in my bag atm.
lunch
kitchen prep for clean up
then napped after I pried myself away from computer
dinner happened

notes on the salt intake front
re lingering exhaustion following mowing, I was going to respond that a little (2-3 grains) rock salt in 8cup jug of water has helped me with that in the past.
Then I didn't write when the no salt allowed rule was brought up.
My thought is that sweating costs the body salt as well as water.
Perhaps the people who make up the no salt rules don't do a lot of outdoor work in the sun to appreciate the results. Agreeing that processed salty foods is way too much salt.
For me, just adding a heap of water without the salt after sweating up a storm leaves me with muscle cramps the following night.
Adding that added iodine in salt makes a difference of 15 IQ points for children, as well as helping with thyroid. sea salt or pink, I think it depends on where from/ which mine, and the chemical make up, and I've only had one packet that gave those details. Tibetian children were totally affected by having the wrong local salt at some stage to the point of widespread cretianism. Read a detailed report on that some years ago.

Personally I'm back to having a little iodonised table salt with my evening meal, with more in water if I mow. I'm not convinced that all the grains of the himilayan salt I have are created equally, or are good for me. Some refuse to disolve for instance.

Sending best wishes to those with issues in this area, and your dhs.

on headlice - I've read of the nightly conditioner treatments, even oil or mayonnaise with gladwrap over for a goodly amount of hours before the fine comb through.

good night all
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am

I am up was groggy w a low but am on track now. Got sheets in the dryer, dishes are going and I have done a swish & swipe in the the bathrooms.
Routines help with a sence of normalicy yea need that around here today. :mrgreen: waving to all!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 am

Hi!

I have been doing a lot more reading lately and I do it with books. When I moved in with dh he had one of the reading things where you download books on to it and read them on that. No thanks! I prefer the feel of a real book.

Dh was charged something like $57. for that dentist appointment that he walked out of on Tuesday. He's cool with that. He said when he goes back, he will tell the front desk that the woman that "forgot" to numb his gums prior to the freezing needle isn't to come anywhere near him in future.

Ran a small load of laundry this morning. As soon as the washer stopped, I turned on the dishwasher. Garbage and recycling are out. Bed is made.

I am having a hard time getting back in the groove with the pots and pans.

It is very humid here, but no rain in the forecast. No wind either. Less than 2 weeks ago we had frost warnings for over nights and dh had to replace some plants. Now everything is thriving and looking great.

No more gall bladder issues yesterday or today. I think my body was just letting me know I have had too many greasy things lately.

With all of those Nora Roberts books that I bought a few months ago, I only had 2 duplicates. I was also lucky enough to get the first 5 books that she wrote. I started the first one last night and if I don't enjoy it, I will donate the rest of them. I honestly don't have any room for them in the fiction area of my library. I'm going to have to go through my biography section and get rid of a few as I bought 5 :shock: biographies yesterday. Beatrix Potter, Frank Herbert, the Hilton family and 2 about the Rothchilds.

Dishwasher just finished. I'm going to go do some pots and pans.

Supper tonight will be BBQed sausages and I will pick up some cold salads on my way home from the craft guild. Now I am going to click that red "x" up in the right corner of the screen. (Speaking of screens, I only use a desktop, because seeing all the people that are glued to their phone screens really bothers me. Pedestrians get killed because they "were on their phone". I honestly think some parents would do a better job of things if they just put their darn phone away.)
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 am

Happy Birthday, Helia! Hope you stop in the village today so you can see your heartfelt messages.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:25 am

Got up a good hour -certainly earlier than I'd planned on. Got s2s and went down to fold the laundry & bring it home. Blessed dneighbor brought them in for me. I'm just not really up to lifting much yet. Discovered I really wasn't up to the long trip we took on Tuesday either. I recuperated all day yesterday & was just not feeling great all day! But the laundry absolutely needed doing. So thankful for dh who put it in for me & then switched it to the dryer twins. I went down before meds & breakfast (BS was 97 so I did okay there) and got there just about 30 seconds before the dryers switched off. Folded & got them loaded onto our golf cart but that's as far as I got with them. Now they're all put away. So guess that's my 'project' for today.

Was going to go over to see dd but she drove by in her cart as I was getting ready to go. She's having us all over for spaghetti tonight. Nice. I at least have Italian bread to add to the meal. She was actually on her way to do laundry & take a shower.

Good thing it didn't rain last night -I left the driver's window open on our car -never do that.

Was going to do up the few dishes I have but decided to wait until after lunch. Will have soup dishes then & I can get them all done since we won't be here for dinner.

Time to rest a bit before I tackle anything else. Seemed like I wasn't making as fast in progress as I'd like. Then I remembered the heart attack I had two years ago and it dawned on me that I was still 'hitting that wall' about 3 months later -at least. So slow and easy will get it done. Have to say I'm a bit concerned about having 3 heart attacks in 2 1/2 years because of the same 2 stent areas. I HAVE to find out if there's more I can do to prevent this from happening. The stents are actually "regrowing tissue" so not a cholesterol issue. In fact my total cholesterol is 139 and my 'bad' is only 57. My 'good' is 55 -which is good. So obviously I'm doing all I can do in that area.

Editing at 11:09am: Not sure if it'll work for me but I've "uninstalled" my solitaire card game -which is my big time waster on this laptop. Here's hoping I don't replace it by either Reinstalling or with something else. Maybe I'll at least get a little more done around here -even if it's only pupa (pick up & put away in case any of our newbies are wondering).
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am

I've s2s and reviewed the bulletin for Sunday. All's good, I can now use that info to build my script for the service.

I have a short list for today. At 6:30 I have to be downstairs with my giveaway stuff. I'm hoping to have very little to take to the thrift store.

I also want to book the food truck today which will involve a walk and lunch at said food truck. The walk I need. The lunch I could do without, but I've planned a light, early, dinner so the calories won't be excessive for the day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello everybody!

I never got into the habit of playing games on my computer. Not enough time, and I also don't want to clutter up my computer with stuff like that. When we had the old XP I was cautious about anything I did...it was important to keep it all going so we could use it successfully for all the business stuff we do. I also don't like how tied to their phones people got. DH doesn't text and he has people who absolutely refuse to call him. He doesn't answer the text, he calls them back.

People think they can force us into doing stuff we don't want to do. I don't get that mentality. I do text, but when I'm out of the house, all I use the phone for is talking to someone if it's important. Not for fun or to just "catch up". I don't mind if its someone I need to talk with or it's important or someone I haven't spoken to in a long while. I get more done focusing on what I'm out there for rather than fooling around on my phone. I know family and others think we are nuts but it works for us.

LadyM, how long did it take your eyes to get used to the floaters? I have the black dots and those don't bother me as much as the more transparent "dirty window" floaters. Maybe there are just too many of them. I also have blocked oil glands in my eyelids, one is a small white lump, the other I can't see but Dr. thinks I'm affected in that eye too. So that adds smeariness to my sight also. I'm doing hot compresses for that, but it doesn't seem to help.

Kathryn, I'm using a different strength 'reader' for computer work. My new progressives will have that mid-range vision that'll work better. As for the light, you're right, there are glasses which block some of the glare. I am still experiencing the glare from all sources of light...my Dr. says it is my brain not used to seeing all this light. If the new glasses don't work any better I'll look into this. Don't want to though, I spent a big fortune on these glasses and insurance only covers a very small part of that after cataract surgery. What they cover would never work for me, but I'm grateful for the help.

I caught up on my paperwork today. Did 6 months of some budget work I've been wanting to do. I've pondered that over and over, wondering what to do and finally figured it out in my head and went back and got it set up finally. Still need to close out the month for the business.

But first I need to run out to the store for a couple things...I'm out of allergy medicine and if I don't take that I'll be sneezing all morning. Also need a vitamin. I haven't finished dailies yet either because of all the paperwork. I better get going here.

Somebody asked about DH's birthday...yes it was the 25th but he sure isn't making any big deal about it. It's a sore subject around here because he was supposed to quit all this work by this date... and we had a heated discussion about it all yesterday. I don't think this work is the best way for him to be taking care of himself. Ok, now I'm out the door!

Return to “Post When You Can”