What haven't you done lately Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: What haven't you done lately Wednesday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Twins: it is this one

https://cottonbureau.com/products/the-t ... -paper-5x8

I've just sent my first feedback. The TL/DR is

Here's the TL/DR: lovely notebook, good price, won't generate repeat sales. There may be a good use for themes but this journal does nothing to guide the user into experiencing the benefits of themes. There is no TheME Journal System here. There is nothing here as far as I can tell but a lovely piece of Cortex merch to put on one's desk.

The journal title page says THEMESYSTEM.

There is also The ME Journal which is something else entirely. I learned about it when looking for hashtags on twitter. I thought maybe they had described the journal usage on Twitter so was searching hashtags.

I've sent the email. That's done, now I can get on with my day.

I have 3:15 left until the event this evening, the food truck. So far, I've only managed to knock one item off my to-do list.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:29 pm

I've tried a few times, but I have no time for sitting and writing in everyday journals about my goals, to-do's etc. I'm too busy actually getting those things done! I do have a journal of sorts, just a blank book I occasionally write in about events that happened...serious stuff in my life and my feelings... last evening I finally sat down and wrote my saga about my eyes so I could someday look back. If I could set up something in the computer I could probably do it every day because I type very fast..but I don't want stuff on the cloud and just haven't figured out what I want. Just coming here takes up most of my time.

Harriet, what are the loggers doing in your area? I hope they are not putting in a busy housing development close to you. Sorry about HRH's recent challenge. I'm sure you are hoping everything will get back to normal sometime soon.

The lady who called yesterday had asked us for a price to build a garage. We had built them a house years ago with an attached slab ready for a garage whenever they had the $ to do that. I guess they wanted to see. Price was beyond their means even with the husband helping and us being cheap. We had their original house plans and they didn't keep any so we told them to come any time and we would give them what we had. That's what the phone call was about, getting their plans. I'm glad it wasn't that they'd decided to go ahead. :roll:

LadyM, I saw them on TV killing a hard drive with a sledge hammer once. Would that do?

What haven't I done lately. Nothing around screaming for attention, just little small voices here and there squeaking "pick me, pick me". Waiting for DH to get new innards for guest room toilet, it's been down for a couple weeks... water leaks into the bowl and runs constantly. It's taken me this long to get him to realize I was right and wasn't going to turn it on and let it run. I've been using the office bath. That the loudest voice around here but I must wait for him.

Folded up all the misc. clean laundry last evening. So everything is caught up. Caught up on my desk today because I had a letter to answer and a few bills I found in the mailbox (did we forget to bring in the mail last night or did she come early?)

Time for lunch.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Drilling holes in a hard drive platter is one way of permanently wiping.

We have a stack of drives from old computers that need to be wiped that way.

When I give away a computer (rare), it is usually mine so there's not really sensitive stuff on it and I do a over-write program and then reinstall the operating system. That isn't foolproof but it will do in my case. By the time I give away a computer, the data on it is several years out of date. So even if you rebuilt the data, it would not be a complete picture of us now.

Harmony: the use of the term journal is confusing to me the way these guys use it. For instance, one of them said in a podcast that a bullet journal is not a journal but a to-do manager. I fundamentally disagree, it can be both, it depends on how you use it. Mine is barely a journal until I want it to be. Then I simply write in it and it becomes a journal. Magic! How I use the pages is free-flowing, so I can adjust my needs as I see fit.

For instance, there's a long prose entry the day I had my accident so I'd have a contemporaneous account of it. In the weeks following, my journaling was actually jot notes for each day because I didn't need any additional space for to-do lists. I was doing nothing at that point but focusing on getting better.

But it is not a diary, that wouldn't have all the to-do stuff in it. For that matter, neither is their system; there's not enough room since each page is evidently one day since they put a space to write the date on the page.

I've got the kitchen chores done. It was getting grungy. I still need to mop the floor. I now have an hour, so that's more than enough time to do the mopping. I just don't feel like it!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:09 pm

I've made 2 different flavours of jello. Dh put them on the stove last night after I asked him to pick a flavour.

Onions have been sliced for the hamburgers. I still have to slice the tomato.

The lady that gave us our tulip tree came by with dh to see the garden.

I have been working on the fridge. I just have the top shelf left to do and that is the one I don't want to do. I should have done it first.

I gave our new neighbor most of the Nora Roberts books. I will take the rest to the senior's centre. I started on a J.D. Robb one (Same author, different name and a different style of writing so far.) IF it gets to be the same as her other books, they will get donated as well.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Cathy: I have set two themes for this journal thingy. One is Season of Focus. Reading regularly is part of that way I hope to achieve that outcome.

Edited to add:

In case anyone was wondering the second theme is Season of Walking on My Own Two Feet.

I've listed the reasoning and hoped for outcomes in Healthy Habits for this month.

Kathryn-in-Canada-DH

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada-DH » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Hello, again, ladies! I hope everyone is well.

Here is my last post regarding my June in Longido, Tanzania. I got home on Sunday after 33 hours of travel from Longido, and it has been a few days to get back into the swing of things.

As before, you can find the travelogue at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/june-201 ... ken-holman and you do not have to be a member of LinkedIn to be able to follow the link; when looking at the photographs, the circled (i) in the top right of the screen opens up a panel with my narrative for each picture; and you can add comments and questions if you have a Google account - otherwise, just ask me!

Kathryn will let me know if you post a question here. Otherwise, you can post the question directly on the information page for each individual photograph.

Thank you, again, for your keen interest in my trip to Africa. I mention on the last picture that, likely, I will not write any more June travelogues as the teaching trip has become very routine and the locals now consider me a temporary resident rather than a visitor. It is wonderful to feel welcomed into another community, especially one in another culture! I feel very privileged to be spending my days walking the streets with Maasai warriors, wives, and children, and the other Tanzanians.

I hope you enjoy the photographs and narratives.

. . . . . . Ken

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi everyone! Just sent out one more report update at payroll. I retrieved Briggs last night and he looks better, but acts miserable. Just sitting in one place, getting up only to drink, eat a little, and use the catbox. My non-professional opinion is that he has gone beyond his allotted time. In answer to Harriet's question, he is thought to be 12 years old. However, his traveling companion (brother?) Stratton would be designated 14 if he were alive. The brother died of cancer (mesothelioma) and Briggs may have cancer in the form of intestinal lymphoma. I will observe him over the holiday weekend, but unless there is a remarkable turnaround, I am recommending euthanasia. (I have seen some incredible turnarounds, so it is possible).

Tonight, I will be picking up DD17 and will have her until Sunday. I am taking off Friday. I refuse to waste vacation days by doing nothing, so here are my plans:
Thursday: parade, amusement park, fireworks
Friday: day trip to hike around a waterfall
Saturday: pick up camper, practice driving and parking, park it in my backyard, camp in it
Sunday: church, maybe more amusement park

I have sent two texts to my traveling companion friend in the past week and heard nothing. I want to know if she will be in town in August. I could ask the xBFF, but she didn't answer my text either. I thought that the xBFF would be interested that I got the camper. Since finding out about a year ago I wanted one, she has advocated buying immediately over saving up for it, on the grounds of "we could all be dead tomorrow". Of course, she was also trying to convince me I needed to get the one from my x and buy a bigger vehicle to handle it. Maybe it was more important that I solve a problem for the x and the other woman than I actually get something to make me happy. Or maybe I am being ridiculous and she just missed the text.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:44 pm

K in C that link said they were sold out.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:14 pm

We ended up having BBQed burgers at home. When dh first got home he wanted to take me out. We sat for a bit and tried to figure out where to go that was close by. I said if he turned on the BBQ we could eat in less than 10 minutes.

It's hot here. No wind. No rain. Lots of stuff growing beautifully in the garden.

It's always good to read Kathryn. Think of all the reading we all do on our computers every day. Sometimes turning off our machines and picking up a book is good for the soul. I told someone no long ago that I was going to try to read more biographies this summer. I've been reading one on Queen Victoria.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Nancy: the planner sold out 10 minutes after the podcast was posted. They have an international listenership so those in the UK got them first. I got one only because the planner was put in their online store the night before and someone shopping for a t-shirt saw it and mentioned it on Reddit. I'm a sucker for paper products so bought it without knowing what it was for! I still don't know how to use it!!!

The food truck went really well. It fit fine but was out of view. There were steady crowds though with a lineup right up until the end. Never more than 10 in the line at a time though (compared to 20 - 30 in other years.)

We had good visits with neighbours and met new people who have moved into the building in the past year.

All cleaned up and I'm on the treadmill now for 20 minutes.

Return to “Post When You Can”