Thursday's Independence Day PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thursday's Independence Day PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Enjoyed the bagel lunch. I then walked down to the temporary library spot (the branch is closed for renovations, it is a Carnegie library from the turn of last century) and returned my overdue book. Then picked up some cleaner from a hardware store (the purpose of that was to get some aeroplan points to keep from losing my miles) and then back to the bank and home.

I've done 11K steps so far today. It is a hot feels-like day and we are under a heat advisory but those of you from hot places would laugh at what we consider worthy of a heat warning. It just feels-like 100.

I did the many miles, slow and steady, walking in shade, resting along the way. For instance on the unused doorstep of a building in the shade, the banks a/c, and there's a path way through a stand of trees that I took. Visited with a neighbour in the shade of another tree at one point.

Found an ice cream (actually gelato) food truck and will contact him about coming here some hot evening or afternoon.

I'm home now. Dinner is planned (chicken pieces) and then we have the theatre tonight. It is a farce so should be fun.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Right now we have a "feels like" temp of 93 F. Tomorrow we will reach a "feels like" of 102 F. I have found a new weather website that has my local weather and it is constantly updated AND I can have it in either C or F.

I picked up some "cold salads" when I was out earlier, so we will have those with the pork chops. I need to shell the peas.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Just a quick post bc I have finally hit the wall here, but to answer Kathryn’s question — we do not have a google account — no gmail or anything, so that is why that was all lost, I think. It saves our favorites on our computer, but since we don’t log in or anything, once the computer was wiped clean, if was wiped away too.
AOL favorites were fine.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Oh, blessed, it's tough to have worked toward what's needed for a pleasant day, and then be kept from enjoying the part you like best.

HRH suddenly felt that he had an appetite :roll: when he realized the local veggie hot dog place was open today. We had that with slaw and potato salad and so with the large-enough meal he was able to have the pain pill that requires food. I will tell you that up until then I was beginning to think he wasn't going to eat all day! He was surviving on cantaloupe, which I suppose was like a short juice fast, so maybe does have a place in healing. He said the pain was making him feel too queasy to eat, but I just wanted him to get something on his stomach that would allow the pain med.

Dstepson hung out with us a while (which also bolstered HRH's spirits) but dstepdil did not ride over with him. She is deep into studying for her finals and is spending her holiday with her nose in books.

quite a bit of thunder by surprise here. I'm glad I have no responsibility for events.

When I get the chance, I'm decluttering in the bedroom. Need to vacuum next.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:50 pm

Echo!

E c h o !

Helllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooo!!

OOooooooooooooooooo!!

(Tapping on glass... Anybody in there??)
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi Cathy! Just looking in. Quiet afternoon here. I gave Muffin her meds and am bracing for fireworks.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Every place around us that had fireworks displays on the 1st all advertised them as starting at 10 p.m. It might be the same where you are for the big banging displays. Good luck.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm

It is nearing 7 the fire works have neen intermittently going off from neighbo's I will be so glad when it os over. They cut it back a lot the past few years that helps. I have een painting for a distraction. I viewed the pbs special on tv, their firewors display was smoky and thay obstructed the view. Last year it rained there and was too cloudy.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Couple people in the neighborhood have them going around here. DH said it sounds like a war out there. He would know. :cry:

Blessed, I'm sorry you missed out on seeing yours.

I did get my errands run. Remembered in time that banks are closed today so didn't take that, also went back out and brought in my mail which wouldn't get picked up today anyway. I don't know what I was thinking today.

DH came in looking like he was on his last legs. I was surprised he made the effort to go. Our fireworks were at 9:00 and I'm glad it didn't rain, there was some lightning and thunder while we were waiting. During one of the last big displays right in the middle of it the sky lit up with lightning and loud thunder. That was really something to see all at once. We were lucky the rain didn't come. Traffic was awful as usual on the way home, but it's been worse.

I have talked with Sunny. She doesn't have internet at the moment, but she is doing ok, trying to figure out how to get settled in her place. They are figuring out what to do for cable and internet.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 pm

We are home after the kids finished doing all their fireworks and picking up the piles of confetti. We watched groups of people setting off their fireworks in the park but it felt dangerous with multiple people shooting from multiple directions. Rockets would fall over after the fuse was lite and shoot sideways....toward people. I detest the loud noise and smokey smell of gunpowder from all the fireworks being set off. I guess I am a firework scrooge tonight. Watching professional fireworks explode in the sky from a safe distance is enjoyable. Tonight wasn't that kind of experience. Bah-humbug.

I set up a different computer today for DS10 to use in homeschool. This computer hadn't been turned on since Dec 18, 2018 so it had hours of updates to do requiring multiple restarts. Easy to do but it required a couple of minutes of hands-on here and there throughout the afternoon as I was doing other things.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”