Friday PWYC - Make it Yours

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: Friday PWYC - Make it Yours

Postby CathyS » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:07 am

Grass is all done for another week. I don't do the ditch or the weed wacker. Dh has one that they use with the parks department. He had the opportunity to buy it many years ago, so he did. He has to wear steel toe boots and goggles when he uses it. I go in the house and close all the windows because stones fly and hit stuff when he is doing it.

Pie is in the oven and should be coming out soon.

I was not impressed with the recipe I used. The juice turned pink because there is flour in with the berries to help thicken it I guess. It's been a long time since I've made a pie. I cheated and used the premade crusts. A frozen one for the lower crust which was defrosted and another type for the upper crust. Buzzer just went.

Pie looks picture perfect almost. It is now cooling on a rack.

Off I go for other errands out of the house. BBL
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 am

Dee, does your dd's dog do okay with the fireworks? It sounded like a war here for awhile. Muffin and I closed ourselves up in the MBR with the blinds down. I turned our ceiling fan up for some noise but then had to add white noise on my iPhone and I could still hear it at times. I maybe should have given her the meds earlier. She did some overgrooming too in anxiety and I was wondering if I would need a trip to the vet this morning.

So good to see Helia posting!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:17 am

I see kitty kat - hello!

hello dear dear Helia!

yay on grass being done d cathy
smart man using steel toe boots and goggles.
I am sure the pie of yours will be delicious
happy errands

hello d helia!
always a joy to see you!
Happy you had such a lovely trip!!!
the camping trip sounds wonderful as well!
are there college/high school kids that will help with the weeds. Just to catch up. I have a tool (I will look it up and tell you) that pulls weeds out easily and fast. I love it. I think it's a fisker stand up weed puller. super easy and fast.
Happy day to you d helia - so happy to see you.

yay on your breakfast and your photos d kathryn

hello d twins (waving)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 am

I have wasted enough time on my bahookey

next kitchen. The play side of me says pool 8-)

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:45 am

So great to 'see' you, Helia. Glad you had such a memory making trip. Also glad that you get to enjoy time with your dks.

Just finished taking care of a gigunda pile of things on the other side of our bed. Then I took everything off the bedroom bookcase, wiped it down and only put back those things I want to keep (that spark joy!) Have a few things from there to put in the G oodwill pile in the trunk of our car. Going to have a good amount to take at some point next week. And so I sojourn on with my 'daily focus', getting things done one thing at a time (or 2 or 3 :D ) I've got something put in each day until it's time for me to fly south (more or less). But each time I do more than one item I move the list up a day -or more if needed. I've now got those days down to October 3rd -days that I have something special like a Dr appointment or wedding, anniversary party, etc I'm not adding any special focus job for those days. If I happen to do one, then I can move the list up. Clear as mud?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:32 pm

And so I sojourn on with my 'daily focus', getting things done one thing at a time (or 2 or 3 :D )

Nodding my head, Yes this sounds like me too. Slowly and steadily getting things done.

I've got something put in each day until it's time for me to fly south (more or less). But each time I do more than one item I move the list up a day -or more if needed. I've now got those days down to October 3rd -days that I have something special like a Dr appointment or wedding, anniversary party, etc I'm not adding any special focus job for those days. If I happen to do one, then I can move the list up. Clear as mud?

i just did an excel formula to find out how many days there are between today and Oct 3rd. There are exactly 90 days. So.......does that mean you have a list of items to accomplish and have assigned one item to each of the 90 days? Whatever you're doing it sounds like it is working for you!

Helia - It's great to see you posting! I would love to hear more about your international trip as well as daily life.

We are having a slow start to the day. I started the day by cooking 2 potato dishes. The kids slept in and I fixed them breakfast when they woke up (biscuits, scrambled eggs, and milk).

It is such a joy to see DMIL recover from her stroke. It is a bit unbelievable when I think of how she was curled into a fetal ball unable to put a sentence together just a few weeks ago. She is getting stronger every day and slowly taking back her life. For the first time in months, DMIL stayed by herself last night. She is getting her sassy personality back and it seems everyday regaining another aspect of her life. She has resumed doing her own laundry and being in the kitchen. Everyone is beyond thrilled for her. DH time helping his DMom is greatly reduced. He goes to her home every morning and stays until he isn't needed. Sometimes that's an hour and sometimes more, but the 12 hours daily shifts he was doing are not needed anymore.

Next up
** personal AM
** Drink & food prep
** Swimming pool
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:35 pm

helia, thanks for letting us in on the fun trip news, Japan and S. Korea. Have a good time at the wedding.

gratitude in hearing about LadyM's dmil's recovery.

Take a photo of the pie, Cathy! Goodness, people take photos of the most ordinary lunch at some restaurant, lol. Surely your pie deserves preserving, lol.

Okay, errands in one direction are done:
gasoline
a seldom-shopped pharmacy
a seldom-shopped grocery

have put away groceries

Now time to flip-flop the laundry.

Still have eaten nothing, because I ate later last evening on HRH's lagging schedule.

So lunch would be a good idea. :|

Then need to think about the other direction's errands, which I hope can be brief.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm

a quick hello
dd younger asked if I wanted to see men in black - not my thing but thrilled to have time with her. dd older, dh, and d mom don't want to go but that is okay - I asked and we will do something together later this weekend.

I really want to see Aladin. the child in me loves those kind of movies!

ta ta for now!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Nice to see Helia here today. You have the most interesting life!

The county mowing tractor is in the neighborhood. They mow the edges of the road along the swale right-of-ways on properties which have no houses, where nobody cuts it. We have perennial peanut ground cover along one big section of ours..and that is an approved vegetation. Right now it's blooming little yellow flowers all over. We put this here because grass won't grow very much with all the shade from our oaks. But the stupid mowers always come along and mow over it. We keep it cut down but NOT while it's blooming! Grrrrrr!

Lost all of today to research project in the computer. Didn't make much progress. I guess I'll get busy doing something active instead.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:19 pm

My computer is doing its 'easy transfer' backup now. I decided to not cull files first. If I run into space issues, I will but I love looking back on old photos from time to time. The rest of my docs don't take up a lot of space. I have 2 hours left to go. I tried reading but can't focus. I could also go for a walk but the feels like temp is 104.

I've decided to move over my email as is and have downloaded Thunderbird for this computer. I've never figured out how to archive email with Thunderbird so I download new email clients, convert my existing to the new format and then delete really old stuff. So far I've done that twice so I suspect I have to download 2 other email clients to deal with the archived stuff. Fortunately, the easy transfer software will tell me what I need to download.

For the business accounting software, I have one more license to install so will do that in the next few weeks.

So Quicken I have a conundrum. They've moved to an annual subscription basis so I have to pay what I used to pay for the whole program but it is only good for one year. They promise I still have access to my data but I lose most functionality. Basically, I'm held hostage because there is no way to migrate my data base to another program. For things like email I've always used open source programs so I can move things around. Not so with Quicken. I've been with them since the DOS days. In my mind, it is the principal not the price that is the issue. I hate renting software. My Quicken2014 install files have disappeared as well. I didn't think much about it until I read about someone who had his Quicken2016 install file disappear so now people are wondering if there's a self-destruct built into the installer (not the program but it stops me from reinstalling the program on another computer.)

For now, my plan is to continue to use Quicken on my old computer. I can decide later if I want to update but for now, I can use the old computer and continue to backup onto dropbox. Then, if the old computer dies, I can always sign up for the new Quicken and recover the files from dropbox.

Return to “Post When You Can”