Thursday Focused 5 x 5 PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thursday Focused 5 x 5 PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Harmony, the tornadoes didn't come in the night, they came just before supper. A local comedian has done a set on the tornado and recovery. He was home with his two boys and they had just ordered pizza for dinner.

Some of the lines from his set:

"We saw the storm coming and were watching out through the window. When the neighbour's above ground pool landed in our yard, I grabbed my favourite kid and ran to the basement."

"A half hour before the storm, I vacuumed the living room. That's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back." (When they came up from the basement the roof was off the house and everything was in chaos.)

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I read on Facebook earlier this week that a first cousin once removed is in the hospital for a brain aneurysm and is to have additional surgery next week. I haven't seen her in forever - her mother and my mother were estranged for a number of years - one of those family things. He mother had a very rough life and I believe her dd (now in the hospital) probably did as well. She's out of town, and her sister is there taking care of her. I'm considering sending a card with a Visa gift card for the sister to go out and buy them both a non-hospital meal to enjoy. Do you think that would be taken well? I don't want to offend, but flowers don't last long and I'd like to do something... What do you wise women think?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Twins, that's a very kind thoughtful thing to do for your DCousin. Be aware though, those Visa cards have to have an account set up. I got one once and to set it up you call the number on the back and then they set it up for me (almost like one of those credit cards people can use but they have to load the money on it first) and after they set it up with my name, etc. they sent me the card that worked in the cashier line. It also had an expiration to it and fees. Maybe this is a different card, but mine was a regular Visa gift card.

I have 3/4 of the kitchen done and half of one bedroom. That counts for 1+ I guess! Sheets are washing. I sewed some new elastic on the corners of the bottom sheet before I put it in the wash. I'll see how good that works...this elastic was none too new, having been in my notions box for quite a while.

Kathryn, what a story. If there were more kids than just his "favorite" I hope the others never read this story and know they weren't the chosen one(s)!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:38 pm

so happy that the tornados missed everyone

d twins - I send visa gift cards all the time - are they proud people0? If you doubt it will be taken well, then just a card with love is perfect - i am praying for her.

time for dr. appointment
I decorated dd older s old room for her birthday - kind of a guest bedroom now.
I put out the plates and candles.
Her birthday is tomorrow.

I did work upstairs but need to continue but don't have time.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Skimmed posts. Put project update in crafts and card file thread. Slept in. It is past lunch & still in my p j's to tell my brain to take a rest day. It is working.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:38 pm

We have had nothing but horrible experience with Visa gift cards. The church tried using them for people after house fires and other personal crisis. We tried them several times and every time was a failure. In theory, they sound a great way to give money without giving cash. HUM.....thinking....I think I still have some of them in my wallet. I found the Visa gift cards can be used in online purchases when they won't work IRL purchase. It has been a PITA to get the money off the Visa gift cards after repeatable failures using them at brick-n-mortar places.

The kids are back. The house is noisy. The refrigerator contents are reduced. Life is back to what has become normal.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:45 pm

1) work on declutter countdown..................ta da
2) set kitchen to rights after project there.....ta da
3) store some clothes
4) start church Desk Day
5) errands with dd..................................ta da

added because of rain on the way:
6) blossom gathering in church yard.............ta da

Twins' although I have no experience with Visa gift cards, I think it's a lovely thought and would not be taken as such a big deal at all. Just something simple someone could do from a distance. Could your banker give you some advice on getting around hassles?

Harmony, lol. That's how I always feel about comedians. I wonder, "did you pass these jokes by your WIFE before you came onstage?" lol

Serious rain on the way here, they say, so i'm giving potted plants a little extra sun time now, watering now, and will pull them onto the porch soon.

Nancy, are you resting enough today?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Spent a couple of hours on the balcony reading. Started to hear thunder to pulled up my weather app and our storm watch was upgraded to a warning with 60 mph gusts so I wind proofed the balconies some more and then went back to reading.

Dh came home and joined me. Then, all of a sudden a flash of lightening across the river and within a minute, winds. So we rushed off the balcony (I tossed the seat cushion onto the living room floor, rather than open the deck box to put it away.)

I checked the weather station and the temp has dropped 12 degrees in 15 minutes.

I had opened all the windows to let in the cool air but the rain has started now and my feet were getting wet (I'm on the treadmill, right next to a window so I could monitor conditions) so they are shut up again on the west side.

I'm going to mosey along on the treadmill for a while watching the storm.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 pm

We had another band of that bad weather come through. This one had a lot of thunder and lightning with it. Lasted quite a while but finally did stop. Lightning was quite close.

Got most of the kitchen finished and 1 other room. DH wanted my help in the shop, working on the picture frame. We got stopped because his tin snips he needed to cut the triangle braces for the back were forgotten back in his truck at jobsite. We're trying braces because these pics tend to warp over time, though I can pull them back into shape. We're hoping the heavier backing and bracing helps this problem.

I guess it's time for dinner.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I did no painti g or decluttering in the shop or any where today.
Cooked meat patties ahead today.
Dailies got some puttering attn.

Cleaned 1 kit. Sink.
Swish & swipe bathrooms done.

Watched netflicks 2 e. of a series.
Did some writing.

Folded one load laundry.
Made the bed just now. 2:30.
Still in p.j. s house dress &pj bottoms.
Garden clogs on watered front, back still to do.

T - storm clouds around in the distance.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”