Friday Footprints

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Friday Footprints

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 pm

Cathy - Did they say what caused your white blood cells to be elevated? Hopefully, the antibodies will take care of it.

can she afford during the day (or 24 hour) care 2 - 4 days during the week?

No. DMIL is on a very limited income. But we could/would pay for it if DMIL was open to it. it is difficult to find someone that is trustworthy, dependable and knowledgeable. We are hoping DMIL setback is short term and DMIL will continue to improve to be able to stay by herself.

Homeschool is finished for the day/week. I love Friday homeschool because we do a light load. DGD8 likes to play learning games on Prodigy. She is learning how to tell time on the analog clock this morning. She is usually a quick learner but it is taking her several times to get it. I've explained it a couple of times to her because she gets the hour wrong when the big hand is the last 10 minutes of the hour. I think she understands it now.

The kids and I are about to head out to the city. DH needs some prescriptions picked up and there are several items on the "Buy This" list. I've texted DGS22 to see if he wants to meet for lunch in the city. I'm waiting to hear back from him.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:27 pm

LadyM they said it is most likely from an infection and with the tenderness of my left side, they also said it is likely that I have a kidney infection. Possibly kidney and bladder.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:54 pm

(((Cathy))) ooohhh... I hope you feel lots better soon!

Just to make a slight clarification — part of the quote was lost in the copy/paste process, I think. The first part of my quote is:

1. What is the MAIN thing, that if you don’t make progress on it today, you’ll be upset about at the end of the day?

Then — focus on that main thing, etc...

My main thing is going to College Town. Picking up dgs now.

So glad you’re busy with a car and not a hurricane, Harriet! Good luck with your shopping!

Waving to all!!! Have a great weekend!
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:56 pm

(((Hugs))) for your dmil, LadyM, and dh and other caregivers.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:24 pm

I have attempted artisn bread looks okay, not going to work for sandwiches but it was fun to do up, have not tasted it yet, it is oblong,
note to self: if you want, round loaves use round cooking dish . :mrgreen: LOL!
I harvested herbs and seeds & mini ghost pumpkins. Need to tell neighbors I put three for them on by the fence. He is in hosp. Getting a port for cancer treatment today.

Cleaned up after the last cooking venture.
Laundry is dry needs brought up and folded.
It rained last night so glad we put the plywood & 2 x 4 's in the shed.
I did a bit of decorating, in the back yard this time.

More cooking. H. Was off early, we ate early I am glad bc ...
Dinner is done niw & I erased some footprints in the kitchen it was needed!
Going to put my feet up in a bit.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Hello. Cathy, I'm sorry for your recent troubles and hope you feel better. If you're not sure about the ovary, can you get a second opinion? They're sure you don't have a kidney or bladder stone?

My friend who was in the hospital with bladder stone is home and has been doing way better. He was able to get to church Sunday but anxious afterward to go home.

I am getting caught up around here, though I'm working slowly. I am doing a PUPA. Seriously needed. I did do a lot of work at my desk again. Another stack of papers came in to be filled out...but I need DH for that and he's been working hard outside in the heat. I think I'll tackle that tomorrow with him.

I got 2 letters answered and on their way. Glad I'm not cooking today, leftovers again. It feels like a Saturday around here, not a Friday.

Harriet, I can't believe they totaled your car. I also can't imagine buying a vehicle in a hurry. It took us 3 counties and a couple months to pick out bedroom furniture one time. Hoping you find something just wonderful and very dependable.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Home from city. Shopping with 2 kids is not the most effective and productive way. They take turns talking to me nonstop. I stopped several times in the middle of the aisles and told them "I can either shop or listen to your stories. I can't do both at the same time. Which do you want me to do?" Each time they would tell me to shop and they would stop talking.....until they started again. I don't remember this bothering me when I was raising young kids in my 20's and again in my 40's. I used to be able to mentally multi-task. Not now. I'm in my 60's and I need to focus on what I'm doing.

On the positive side, the kids are now old enough to be good helpers and they love to be involved. They don't understand the lifeskill of shopping but they are eager to learn. It is a lot of details to teach for most purchases. When they are helping select items there is non-stop discussion. We bought 23 items today and each one had a teachable moment with a detailed discussion of why and how.
Me: DS11 we need flour. No not the 25lb bag. Yes, I know it is a better price per pound but it will go bad before we use that much. Get the smaller 12lb bag. Check to make sure it says all-purpose flour on the bag. We don't need bread flour, almond flour, or gluten-free flour today.
Me: DGD8 we need sugar. No not powdered sugar. Put that back. No, that is brown sugar. Look for the bag that says granulated cane sugar. We want the 10lb bag, not the 20lb.
Me: When you put the item into the cart make sure the barcode is up so I can easily scan the item.
repeat...repeat...repeat 20 times. I know someday this will all be easy to do with the kids.......but during this phase of their life, they are in the intensive learning mode. It takes me more effort and time to mentor them how to do things than it would if I did it by myself.

Sam was giving out samples for the various soups. OH MY. I have never had these ready-made soups before but now I am a big fan. I suspect they will be a stocked items in our home. The soups come out to be about $1 a meal so not too bad for something so simple and tasty. I brought 2 different kinds of soup home today and had a cup of each for supper. I am stuffed. And both cups of soup together came in under 400 calories total.

I spent an hour with DMom at her home. I stopped by to make sure DMom knew about DAunt status. DAunt has quit eating and drinking. There are only 3 family members in DMom's generation left. DAunt and DMom have been close friends for 60+ years. Even though it is expected, DAunt death will be hard on DMom.
1. Know what you want.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:12 pm

I also can't imagine buying a vehicle in a hurry.

Me neither. It takes me a while to decide what I want. It took me months to decide on the last vehicle we bought.

Although when our car was totalled in a wreck I did buy another vehicle the same model the next day. But I knew exactly what I wanted. I went online and found there were 2 vehicles in our state with the options that I wanted. I sent an email to both dealerships and told them the truth. I was buying one of the vehicles the next day but I would not be negotiating or spending time with a salesman. They had ONE chance to submit a price by email and whoever came in lowest was the vehicle I was going to purchase. It worked and they responded by email and dropped the price thousands. I walked into that dealership the next day and bought it. My goal is to not spend more than an hour being a captive in a car dealership. Yes, I'm weird.

I am looking forward to hearing about Harriets vehicle shopping experience.
1. Know what you want.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Question... for those who give yourself shots. How many needles do you use for each injection?

DH has given himself prescription shots for years. He gives himself 3 shots each week. He has always used one syringe/needle to pull medication out of the bottle and give himself the injection.

Today at the pharmacy they seemed horrified at that. Today they gave me sealed syringe and needle assembled together like DH normally uses. But the instructions now are..... When that package is opened DH is to not use that needle but remove it from the syringe and throw it away. Then he is to put needle #2 onto the syringe and use it to draw the medicine from the bottle. Then remove needle #2 and put needle #3 onto the syringe for injecting.

One syringe and 3 needles are now required for DH to give himself one injection.
1. Know what you want.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 am

I watched someone give himself shots every day for 19 years. I never saw him use more than one needle on the syringe. Maybe they are making needles to not be sharp enough to use once it is pushed into the medicine bottle? Have never heard of this before. Maybe its marketing?

Return to “Post When You Can”