From fearful to fearless Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: From fearful to fearless Friday

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 am

Lovely start to the day here. I am trying to think about who is that person for me. Our parents had patience with us, but for me maybe not so encouraging. DMom was not the sort of woman who stepped out and made goals for her life. She was a lovely woman and there was a lot of love in our house, but several things I wanted to do were met with "you can't do that"... also both of my husbands expected me to be strong and capable right out of the gate..no babying or patience needed... and DH really saw me as capable and strong and expected no less. So, for me it is my faith that provides the patience I need to be strong and capable. When I falter and err, HE allows me to begin again. I don't know where I would be without my faith.

Well, that was a sermon!

Kathryn, my life has definitely changed this year. DH is not nearly as busy as he has been in previous years, so my work is cut in half or less. Less errands, less trips out to do things for him, my desk days take less than half the time. I will always have some because there is household desk chores and he does none of it, but these days I look back and wonder how I ever kept up.

With that extra time I am doing things that I never got to, like painting on the porch... so I am still extra busy around here. With the restrictions DH has with his arms, I do a lot of things most wives do not... but aging couples often have this situation. I would probably have the time for a bullet journal of sorts, and maybe I should try one, it might surprise me.

Today I am working 45/15, though I've been here longer than 15. I am slowly getting things cleaned up around here. I also need to go and pick up Rx. My dining room table aka sewing table is bare except for the new table runner..for the first time in weeks. I mended a pair of shorts while the sewing machine is still opened up. So I better get back to it.

Really loved the cat stories. I'm rooting for LadyM's DGD to tame those little creatures.
______________ ___________________ ________________

Since nobody has been here I'll edit: I took paint out and touched up several places we found that I missed. White on white, hard! Took screen out and washed place that was collecting water and dripping down on building. I'm still on pupa around here. Lots of that done. I shined up the dining room table. Where did the glue come from? Ok, going to make shopping list, go to pick up Rx and other stuff I need. Maybe grab some lunch to eat on the way.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:56 pm

I have been looking at Kathryn's BuJo set up with longing. That is what I want but seem incapable of maintaining it. It is definitely on my Bucket List of things I want to do.

LadyM: I've never been one to manage computer planning systems. Unless I can physically hold them, I don't seem to be able to follow them. Basically, out of sight, out of mind. That's why I had to spread my SHE cards over a counter. If they were in the box, they were out of sight and left undone. With an electronic system, when my computer/phone is off, I don't think about what I'm to do. Whereas with a notebook, even without it being open, I can visualize the page and am reminded of what needs to be done.

You've used software planning systems (I believe OneNote or Evernote) so I might hesitate to encourage you to switch! There's a lot to be said about an electronic system; time saved from not having to copy things over and over, the fact it is backed up, and the ability to pull it up on a phone or computer. I don't always have my notebook with me since I often go out with just pocket contents and no purse/backpack, but my bujo fits only in one of my purses or crammed in a backpack I'm currently not using.

The way my brain works, though, paper is best and the enforced planning time as I copy/write things out is important processing time for me.

Harmony: if you were using my bullet journal system, on weeks that you are painting, the 2 page spread might be almost empty! That's what I like about it, I don't have to put a lot down on paper but if I need to put something down, I have a place to do so where it won't get lost. You keep a lot in your head, so the time spent drawing up the weekly calendar page, even if hardly anything is written on it, is time you spend processing and planning, in your head, where your focus and energy will go.

Rough draft of the service is done. I'm moving to a new word processor and it won't open my old files so I'm slowly opening and re-saving files. Today, it was my service 'script' for MF's church. Next week it will be the script for the church where I'll be for the rest of the year.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Homeschool is underway. It is a light day on Friday so DS11 should finish in 2 hours or less. I have planned next week's assignments in the core subjects & curriculums. those assignment worksheets have been put in the 5 daily boxes so DS11 can get started each day without me.

i'm feeling sorta accomplished. I have done troubleshooting on 3 devices and have them working now. I'm ignoring the fact they have been sitting here for ??weeks?? waiting on some time/focus from me.

Indoor garden status - Radish microgreens are on Day #7 and are standing about 2" tall with true leaves. Speckled Peas are on Day #6 are starting to have Cotyledon so are still covered to keep them in the dark. Two days ago I added a mini fan to the shelving unit to gently move the air around the plants. Yesterday I found the spraying equipment, recipe & ingredients for the antifungal mixture. I have implemented lightly spraying the plants with that mixture every day. My next effort will be finding a timer for the lights so I don't have to manually turn them off/on at sunset/sunrise.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Thxs dears for fixing my morning mess!

About to enter the library... that for me is like therapeutic shopping for other women :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm still going but I'm running out of steam. Eating some lunch as I type here.

More PUPA. Went to Rx and store, got everything on my list except 1 that I forgot and 1 I forgot to put on the list and I remembered on the way home and now I've forgotten again. I am really bad about shopping. I try to do a list and it helps a bit... but sometimes I even forget the list. All the stuff I keep track of in my brain...I'm not good with this.

I got some extra stuff I know I'll need for Thanksgiving. Holiday plates and napkins (not doing my good china this year, nobody appreciates it but me). Maybe I'll start using it every day. I'll be dead someday and there all the good dishes will be sitting in the china closet, pretty and unused.

Ok need to take a breather for a few minutes, then I'll try 1 more round before dinner.

Ramblinrose, the library is my therapeutic place for me too. I don't have any books here to read at the present. I'd never get done with all this work if I did. I can sew or I can read. Never figured out how to do both.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm

I made a big pan of mac-n-cheese with hamburger meat. DS11 has been requesting this dish for several days.

I joined mewe dot com in order to keep up with the FB Diabetic Rebel group. Someone reported the leader and FB has banned him. So they created another group on mewe. I'm not a big fan of FB because of all the ads and cr*p. I do like the ease of keeping up with family & friends but I don't like my brain being bombarded with all the other stuff. I don't see FB going away anytime soon but I think the opportunity is there for something else. Getting a mass amount of users to switch away from FB seems impossible. But what do I know....AOL used to be #1 on the internet.

The kittens are doing well today. They are now day 3 after surgery and moving around well. We released them from the wire kennel and they let us pet them. Leah did hiss but didn't bite or claw. DGD8 hasn't visited the kittens at all today so maybe I overestimated how much she wants a pet. I'm not going to push DGD8 but just let it play out.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi everyone! I have found our Oracle driver does not like union statements or comments. I can fake my way into a union by doing a full outer join but it is dreadfully inefficient. Three tables have an archive table that needs a union so the report mods are going to make it run SSSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! The good thing is that this one runs in the evening to process daily data and uploads a spreadsheet to the users, so they will never notice. I certainly notice when debugging though! Despite working in IT, like Kathryn, I must keep my lists on paper.

I did not get my haircut because the place closed at 7 and I got home very late (construction + accidents). I did get another blood pressure reading and it is still high. The pharmacist recommended getting another week of data before returning to the doctor, but it does not look so good.

Tonight is dance class and I will probably go to the grocery store. Saturday, the two foster kittens Ozzy and Remi are coming to my house. They will need to be kept separate from the three boarders and MewTwo, but can eventually meet MewTwo. This weekend, I need to get prepared for Thanksgiving. DD17's celiac + taking the camper will complicate things. I have GF foods, but I still need to survey the camper for necessary items. On the first trip, I brought a bottle of wine, but had no corkscrew. I know there are no pots and pans.

My person is the same as Harmony's, and the word she was looking for yesterday is "graft".

My autistic DD who wants to be a vet would likely approve of kittykatt's feral cat comparison. Someone who "gets it" on both. In addition, her advice on feral cats is spot on. One thing LadyMaverick should know is that, at least in my experience, hissy, angry ferals are easier to tame than scared ones. More self confidence. It can be a very long process though, it was 8 months before Tiki voluntarily touched me (she was 1.5 yo when I got her and a scared type). Don't feel guilty if it is not something that your family can do though. A feral cat who lives in a climate controlled building with food and medical attention and without predators thinks it has found paradise.

ETA: I wrote the above paragraph and then saw LadyMaverick's report. I predict tame kittens fairly soon.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:42 pm

LadyM... I think the leader of the Rebels was placed in FB jail ... whatever that is... and should be out soon. I love him and his wisdom. I also follow him on his own FB page but haven’t seen anything there this morning. I’ve been following this group ever since Empty Nester recommenced it. I check my blood sugar every morning. I started because I wanted to see if it had any correlation with my migraines. I don’t see a connection, but I do try to eat from their list since I do believe carbs mess with my headaches. I try to stay between 85-90 when I wake in the mornings.

Harmony... the first place I headed for once retired was the library. When I taught, only real time I had to read was during the summers and breaks. I love wandering around looking at books and usually come home with a bag full. I try and find one book from an author I’ve never read during each trip. When Sweetie knows I’m going to the library he knows it will be a couple of hours before I get home and it’s only a 10 minute drive from my home.

Meant to add... don’t feel bad about your Grocery list Harmony. I do that more times than I care to admit. The other day I went to pick up some cream for my coffee and while there found a few other things I needed.

Checked out and realized I forgot the cream. Went through the register, paid for it and went on my way only to be called back to the counter cause I forgot it. Got outside and returned the cart and then proceeded to drop the darn cream on the ground... think someone was trying to tell me something :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:36 pm

I am back from dropping off the chiesl to be sharpened.
Did a bit of thrifting.
Bagged up 4 bags of leaves I raked an swept up.
Had lunch.
Got the sharp tool back.
Stopped by the store I have chicken in the crock pot.
H. Is off early.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 pm

FINALLY figured out how to make that blasted query both accurate and efficient. It's all a matter of optimization and there are some things that can only be done by a human optimizer. In fact, having a SQL optimizer rearrange your code for efficiency can make it not work at all! This report modification has really taken a lot longer than I thought it would.

Return to “Post When You Can”