Wednesday 5 x 5 PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Ramblinrose

Re: Wednesday 5 x 5 PWYC

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:36 pm

LadyM

Can you take DS to the library to pick up books and either see if the library can electronically send him to his kindle?? Or have him find books at the library he wants the read and then see if they are offered on his kindle? That’s what I do sometime.

Thxs Kathryn, I’ve been waiting over 9 months for this weather and I’m lovin’ it. The high tommorw is gonna be 60*. May seem warm to y’all, but remember it’s a 50* drop for me since summer’s 110* constant heat!

Back from the gym... now it’s off to shower after my second cup of coffee. :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:34 pm

I did clean out the fridge soup in the crock pot. It is mighty tasty! Took a while to prep all the ingredients for it.
I have a plan for dinner.
I unloaded the dishes, also cleaned up some in the kitchen.

Continuing With anti P. Tasks.
I emptied out the odds & ends from plant containers I was done with bagged them up to toss.
Put away a couple of poles from tree branches for bean tee pees for next year.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:51 pm

RR - that is a good idea!

Taking a deep breath and hoping for no drama. One of the overdue SHE cards is going on a date with DH. Its frequency is monthly but it has been 79 days since DH & I have gone somewhere alone. So I've arraigned for DS11 and DGD8 to go to DD home after school tomorrow for a few hours. Hopefully, it will be a good experience for all.

Homeschool assignments are done for the day. Ds11 did well.

I've got a double recipe of brownies in the oven. One pan will go to each of the potluck meals tonight at the 2 churches.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi everyone! I finally got that report finished, checked in, and delivered. I thought it would be a one day project. I didn't count on Oracle driver difficulties in SSRS. I have to figure out what to do next! I think I will take myself to lunch in celebration. There is a Chinese place I can walk to.

Got a call from the cat owner yesterday and this morning. (I did not see her message until too late to call). She wants to borrow $100 because she is having housing difficulties. She really is in a horrible situation, but it is not something I can fix except for the cat part. A hundred dollars would not even begin to fix the underlying problems. I hope I am not stuck with 3 permanent boarders. I guess eventually I could find a way to declare them abandoned and get them into the animal org.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi!

Went to the Niagara on the Lake Outlet mall. I went to L'Occitane and got myself a very nice boxed gift that was put in a nice gift bag with tissue. That's one less thing dh will need to go out and get. I didn't like any of the gift box sets that they had on display and I was informed that I could pick the items and they would put them into a gift box for me. Everything I picked was lavender scented from Provence, France. I also went to David's Tea and got dh 40 bags of tea and they are in a nice gift box. They provide the boxes and you can either pick out 20 bags or 40 for a slightly lower price. Dh really enjoys a few of their flavours, so this was a great idea for him. I also walked around outside for a while trying to cool down. It's 8C today (45 F I think) but the stores were all hot inside.

On the way home I picked up some groceries. Milk, soda for dh and a box of dishwasher powder.

The accountant is coming here tomorrow to drop off some stuff.

Clothes are finally out of the dryer. I have a load of dishes going in the dishwasher. I also washed some pots and pans after I cleared out the dish tray.

Supper will be Shepherd's pie.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm back from the LRT Adventure. I had 6 seniors, 2 with canes, one with a walker. We took the bus to the station and although the driver offered to let us off at the door, I had him drive up to the regular stop because I wanted them to know where to grab the bus home.

The train ride was smooth, no delays, and everyone had a great time. Lots of smiles.

Our next adventure will be taking the train and getting off at another station and then taking it home again! We'll go to the mall that has a theatre so we can go to a movie, maybe have lunch and then come home.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:39 pm

I did decide to eat Chinese. It is supposed to snow tomorrow. Bleah. And I have to drive. I talked to my friend who is camping with us for Thanksgiving. Some mutual friends are envious, but have other plans. Also, the camper only sleeps 4 and there are already 3. I have made my list of 5 for today:
  1. Purchase cat litter
  2. Text or email info to N
  3. Measure laundry room for curtain to replace doors
  4. Crochet on a gift
  5. Clear off my bed (mostly laundry)
The crochet can count as anti-procrastination.

DD17 has croup. I thought only babies got that. Prevention is flu and diptheria vaccines, but she has had all her shots and gets the flu shot every year. Her teacher insisted that the x take her to the doctor because walking pneumonia is going around her school. Otherwise, he would have probably considered it (like any symptom occurring in another person) an allergy to be ignored. I have reminded her that she does not have to go through her father to see a doctor. I can take her and so can her stepmother.

Congratulations to LadyMaverick on raising a reader, even if his reading doesn't look like ours. My library has ebooks for checkout.

Kathryn: What is LRT?

Harmony: Online shopping is not really cheaper and not always easier. Not faster either, unless you pay extra for it. It is very good for getting things you cannot find locally, like vintage sewing and crochet patterns and CDs of obscure bands. It's also useful for shipping directly to the recipients rather than hauling gifts through the airport.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm

I am home again, four of the five completed plus a couple of other things completed. The fifth is at the temple cemetery, where I am on that committee. I texted dh and suggested we eat out tonight.

All that round of errands done, plus came back by home and put a photo of mother on a flash drive and took to Walgreens to print. They've asked me for one at assisted living and I said I would get it to them. I'll make a Christmas card (or I might have a Thanksgiving type card to send?) and write them a note.

I have a few minutes - I'm going to regroup and plan for tomorrow and Friday and what else is on my list to do before I go. It keeps growing...

Whoops, I let this sit here, I'm leaving again in a minute.

Elizabeth I think Kathryn's LRT is light rail transit? But I'm not sure who she's shepherding around?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:54 pm

While trying to find our check book, I had my hand down in my recliner (which I hate doing) and now have a sizeable lump and big bruise there. I bruise so darned easily. Right now my hands and arms look like they have a disease.

We were supposed to go to dfriends today. Dh was then going to go to church with the male half to do some repairs. I was to go stay with her. But......once I came home from getting my hair cut and getting groceries it was after noon. I mentioned that somewhere I needed to get my exercises in. So we decided to try to go Friday. Dh is going to school with dd tomorrow for the "Great American Teach In". DD's prepared a slide presentation for him. He's to speak to I think about 6 classes throughout the day about his experiences traveling all over the world for K odak (Government work actually). His main point is to encourage kids to reach for whatever they want to do. He retired as an engineer and was told by our guidance counselor in high school that he couldn't go to college. He did and persevered. Don't ever let anyone tell you you're not smart enough to do something. Look at our own Elizabeth and the things she manages to do/learn.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 pm

Twin's was right, Light Rail Transit.

The people I was shepherding around were seniors from our apartment complex. I wanted them to see part of the positive change the LRT has brought in.

This LRT is our city's $2.1 billion first phase of three phases and it has gone spectacularly poorly with almost daily failures of the system.

The first full week of the new system, there were videos of hundreds of people walking from the rail station near me to downtown (an hour long walk) because the trains failed. It is getting better but last week, in 15 degree weather, people had to walk 2 blocks from a station to a bus stop and then line up waiting for a bus to come. Each train (there are 13 running right now) holds 400+ people. Each bus holds 70. So people were left standing, waiting, a very long time each time the train fails.

Most cities have a subway or train, plus buses. I can take one of the subways in Manhatten or ride a bus. In our city we took away all the buses and replaced them with just the train. So when the train goes down, there's nothing.

And when the train does work, it moves people to a station that ends just 3 miles from downtown, and then everyone has to pile into buses to go to the suburbs or their neighbourhoods.

Almost all buses now go only to the train. So we lost our local bus to the grocery store. Now we have to go to the train station and transfer to another bus at the train station. The old bus ride of 10 minutes, now is 2 buses and 45 minutes to get to the grocery store that is just 600 yards away. The issue is the same people who can't walk that 600 yards are also not able to drive cars. So they are suddenly cut off from shopping and becoming isolated seniors.

That's where I come in. As a residents' association, we are trying to connect people and help them build friendships so they won't be as isolated.

Return to “Post When You Can”