Sunday Sunrise

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Sunday Sunrise

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:47 am

Once, years ago on a winter day, when I had to go to a day-long event that started early in the day, I watched the sun rise as I drove into the city. It was really quite spectacular to watch the night turn into day and I felt as if the day was 'mine' because I had watched it birth.

It is still another 30 minutes until sunrise here and the sky is barely giving up any dark. I was out on the balcony, looking west and could see stars so I suspect it is clear overhead. Yes, it is cold, but it is still glorious to be out in the unheated fresh air. I'm now to the time of year where windows can seldom be open lest the radiators belong them freeze.

For some of you, watching the sunrise is a daily thing (looking at you, LadyM!) but for others, it is worth stirring oneself out of bed, at least once in a while.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Sunday Sunrise

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:02 am

According to my sleep tracker, I slept very deeply through the night. There are no sound records (so no snoring) and it was concerned about my respiration rate at few times through the night. That stat is not really useful since it is just listening through the mic and may have just missed soft breathing. But while I woke through the night (also caught in the graph), I just asked myself if I had to get up, decided I didn't, and went back to sleep. So after a terrible sleep the night before (where I couldn't shut down my brain), I slept 2 hours longer and more deeply last night.

My service has been printed off and in the preaching bag since Friday night. Because that was all done, I was able to enjoy such a wonderful day yesterday with the children. In the evening, I worked on the December services and am prepared as to hymns for the 3 services I'm doing. I'm not sure which hymns are in their book but I have a book by the same publisher and so far, I've never found a hymn in my book that wasn't in theirs. Much will be settled after service today and then I'll be able to get to work in earnest (although, I'm already about 1/4 of the way completed on the 3 December services.)

My next few weeks will be extremely busy, but then things quiet down. Dd pointed out that I didn't have to make a stocking for dgd if we can find my dmil's stocking (dgd was named for dmil.) Dmil made matching stockings for her children, children-in-law, and then grandchildren and when dsil joined the family, I made him one and then one for dgs, so I have to make one for dgd. At least I remembered in time and after taking ages to make the first one years ago (I'm so NOT crafty, I can visualize wonderful things but lack the skills to bring to creation), I saved all the patterns, etc. so that making future ones would be less work. I even know where all that stuff is!

We've sent out a note to my sisters-in-law asking if anyone has it. TBH, I think dd (and dh) is remembering stockings I made for dmil and dfil years ago. Since for me the fun of Christmas was always the little things we got in a stocking, I started the tradition of only giving stockings to adults, full of little things (favourite candy, a magazine, little puzzles or toys, practical small tools.) And I made stockings for everyone who was receiving that gift. Those ones were tossed in the move. But they were nothing like our special stockings, they were just the red fuzzy stockings you get at the dollar store, with the names put on with glitter glue.

Anyway, later today, I'm hoping to make the stocking (mostly planning), and new, deep, pockets for my winter coat, my project of the day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:45 am

Kathryn - I loved reading about the sunrise and how it makes you feel. I don't notice the sunrise/sunset every day even though it is right there before my eyes. I find that somewhat sad that I routinely do not pay attention to something so spectacular.

I slept well. Today is Day #85 of my #100 tracking experiment. One of the best outcomes of this 100-day experiment in learning about and improving my sleep. Tracking = Knowledge = Tweaking = Improvement.

Yesterday evening DMIL fell at her home and now has many scrapes and cuts on her face. She didn't hurt anywhere so she assured everyone that she didn't break any bones. DMIL refused to go to ER to get checked out. We are respecting her wishes. DMIL is going to have some colorful bruises on her face for the next week or so. She made everyone go home last night and didn't want anyone staying with her. She planned to sleep in her recliner to keep her face elevated.

DSis is doing a great job living with & taking care of DMom. They are still getting along so the honeymoon phase continues....although DMom is starting to make some remarks. DSis is single and has no kids living at home. DSis kids and grandkids are liking this change because it puts DSis closer to them. I talk to DMom every day at least once and offer to help at any time. I'm okay with DSis doing more than her share of the parental-care load for a while because DBro and I have been carrying the most of it for years.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 am

Good morning, villagers ~
I haven't been able to stop by here for well over a week, which makes me sad. I miss you all.

In between work days at the library, I've been trying to get through year-end tasks for both of my volunteer groups -- and regretfully but firmly saying NO to everyone who asked me to add more volunteer projects before the end of January! Plus, of course, getting things lined up for the family holiday gatherings.

As I told DH the other day, usually I don't mind when it's my turn to work Saturdays at the library. However, yesterday was my 2nd Saturday in a row and it was really difficult to gather the energy to get ready in the morning and then be on my feet for 5 hours without a break. (My coworker was there but her assigned tasks took her away from the service counter so I was stuck.) I'm definitely looking forward to the Thanksgiving vacation. I'll work a normal 8 hours tomorrow and then since I'm not scheduled for Tuesday nor Wednesday, I'll be off from Tuesday, November 26th, until Monday, December 2nd. Family and home time, what luxury!

Bad news: Household chores = 1 step forward, 2 steps back. :(
Good news: Making good progress on stocking up on food for the winter so we won't have to worry if we get snowed in.

Last night I started on the handmade Christmas gifts.
Yikes, I just realized that I don't have a hostess gift yet to give DSis for Thanksgiving. :? Need to think on that.

I foresee next year as being even busier than 2019 was, and I need a multi-purpose planner that will be big enough to be useful but still small enough to carry in my purse every day. I haven't seen one locally that is anything like what I think I want, so I splurged on an online order. The pages I viewed on the screen looked good. It is supposed to be shipped by December 15th. We'll see if I guessed right on the size and format.

Hoping this afternoon will be nice enough that I can go outside and rake leaves. Otherwise, today must be desk day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:33 am

Bookie - It's good to see your CI.

I am missing Harriet. I hope she is enjoying her class.

I visited the hair colorist and now that card is done for another 23 days.

When I sat down to update SHE cards, DGD8 climbed into my lap. DGD8 has become clingy since she found out DD is coming to get her for a few days.

DS11 is going to his first-ever Lock-in tonight at the local kids church. The supervision at this church is beyond wonderful so I'm totally okay with sending him without parental supervision. They have sent an hourly schedule of the planned activities for the kids. I'm not sure DS11 can stay awake & going all night long but he is looking forward to the challenge along with his friends.

So......the timing of these 2 things means.....DH and I will be all alone for 12 hours!

I updated the formulas in my SHE card spreadsheet so I can see my average card completion according to the day of the week. I find it interesting to look at the results from a different perspective. Monday and Wednesday are my most productive days. I slack off on Friday, Sat, and Sunday.

I keep the items I want to buy on a reoccurring basis in the A-river shopping cart in the "save for later" section. I do this because it notifies when the price of these items changes. Some go up/down frequently and others only a couple of times a year. Today the shoes I wear just dropped to half price so I bought them.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:40 am

RR, we are very close to Rockefeller plaza but the tree isn’t lit until 4 Dec. don’t know what the week holds but we’ll probably get there. I think Tuesday and Wednesday are unplanned except for evening shows and dinner w dcousins Wednesday pm. Our bags got here around 7 pm - we went out for a light dinner and took them up when we returned.

I slept really well! Noticed the hotel also has ear plugs as needed, although I pack some in my purse and travel kit.

Glad to see Bookie, and also glad that LadyM’s mom and dsis are hanging in there together.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Waving. I have been up since 6:00 today.
35* - 53* today's temp. Range.
Had a bit of sore throat when I got up.
I need a meal plan have some left overs maybe with soup.
Had pumpkin pie for breakfast.

Planning done.
Journal next up.

Tentative plans for our turkey Thurs. Cafe meal me not cooking. I have mixed emotions about this.
Sun is out so e wind leaves are blo wing off the roof.
H. Likes the idea of buffet mid. Mo. For family.

This past 2 weeks I found at least 5 ways NOT to make rolls! :roll:
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Our sunrise was less than spectacular because mist came over everything. But it is a gorgeous sunny day now, and above freezing.

I'm sitting in a walk-in clinic, waiting for dd and dgd. She texted me during church (thank heaven I always turn the sound off and thank heaven I pulled out my phone after to use the calculator!) Anyway, it was another tough night for dgd but now she is pulling at her ear so we know why.

I am here to keep dd amused and as an extra set of hands.

Church went well and I got all my planning accomplished.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm

I can't remember the last time I saw a sunrise. I can barely function if the sun isn't shining. If I get up in the dark my internal clock doesn't function. Lots of sunsets, though. We used to take coffee and go sit at the local beach and watch the sunset. It always looked just like the sun dropped right into the ocean.

Tough day. I was up too late, colored my hair and spent some time with the whitening trays on my teeth...then I don't think I slept very well and was up extremely early. As we were driving to church I just felt like I hit a wall and of course we were there early and I usually wait in the car a bit before going in. I put my chair back and rested for 30 minutes. Did not feel like I could stand through all the songs etc. But I went in for the sermon. We stopped at store on the way back and got some things DH promised to bring for the Thanksgiving meal the church is making. My fridge and freezers are stuffed.

Got garbage gathered up. Load of towels washing. I have one more chore to do and then I'm going to take a nap. There is more I could do but I just don't have the energy.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Dgd doesn't have an infection yet, her ear tubes are just clogged so they will let her try and beat this on her own with some pain management. She's only half of her sunny disposition now but still full of smiles for dh and I when we walked in. And full of hugs for me.

Dd and I had lunch out at a diner and then I walked home. The 1.5 mile walk was pleasant in the sun. All along were young families out putting up their Christmas lights since it is such a pleasant day.

I'm babysitting tomorrow so will end up seeing my grandchildren 4 days in a row, one day off and then the next day too!

Dh and I are about to head off for a walk now, another 2 miles. I need to walk off lunch and he needs to get out on this gorgeous day. Then I'll work on the pockets for my coat.

Return to “Post When You Can”