Moving Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Moving Monday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:38 am

It is a very busy week for me but a super busy week for our US members so we all need to get a plan together and start working that plan.

Get moving!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Moving Monday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 am

Much better sunrise this morning than yesterday. So beautiful.

Lucylee: if that Christmas tree is not on carpet, and if the room is large enough, you could set it up with a towel under the stand. On blind installation day, slide the towel slowly into the room. For complete success, this will take one person sitting on the floor, gently pulling and another standing beside the tree to steady it.

When the blinds are done, slide it back and then slip the towel out, one foot of the tree at a time, or cover it up with a tree skirt.

Leave any super precious ornaments until after it is back in place. And cover the tree with a drop cloth to keep plaster dust off it if the installer has to drill.

If it is on carpet, I can't confidently offer a suggestion. We used to put our tree on a board on the carpet to give it a solid surface but I can't imagine sliding the board along the carpet.

The towel under heavy stuff works really well. I have used it to move dressers, the treadmill and I have upside-down pieces of carpet under the roll top desk and filing cabinets so they can be slid around.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:51 am

I picked up DS11 at 7am from the lock-in. He did manage to stay awake all night and claimed he still wasn't sleepy. I made him go lay down in his bed anyway. I checked on him about 5 minutes later and he was asleep.

I need a plan for this week. Public school is out all week. We are only doing 2 days of homeschool. My normal weekly plan and activities are mostly not happening. This is a good week to put extra focus on something. But without a plan, my extra time will evaporate.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 am

For you U.S. gals, is your turkey out of the freezer? Made room in the extra fridge and moved ours late yesterday.

I've been working on my plan for the week. Just waiting on assignments for tomorrow night's Orlando Solar Bears game before we make plans to go.

Glad DS11 (11???? eeek! When did that happen? I almost wrote 8 & realized that was definitely wrong -especially since your dgd is 8! :o ) went to sleep, Lady M.

The towel under heavy stuff works really well. I have used it to move dressers, the treadmill and I have upside-down pieces of carpet under the roll top desk and filing cabinets so they can be slid around.
What a great idea, Kathryn! And I expect you figured we all 'knew' this? Do we have a section where we can post 'found' good ideas?

DD's stone for their outdoor garden area was delivered early this morning. They delivered way too much stone as DD had measured and calculated very well. They told her that would be ample to have the stone about 2" thick. Well, there's enough there for it to be 5" thick. Stone goes beautifully with their brick siding. I had suggested weeks ago that she think about 'container gardening' instead of trying to plant her greenery here & there. "Splendid idea" said she. It's going to look so nice.

First thing on my 'plan' for today is to go do my exercises. Off I go>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am

Our turkey is for Dec. We decided yesterday. Watching the sun rise. I got draw strings in three more gift bags thi s morning that got over looked.
I need to do the top of the fridge today.
Sat. I will do the top o f the China hutch with Christmas decor.
I have green fabric gift bags to seam up today.
Some will get fruit breads in them.

Next batch ready for ribbon drawstrings.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Well, we’re moving here — barely! Dgd woke me up well before expected arrival time for the window shade man. She’s watching YouTube videos and eating popsicles right now. (Sounds like we’re having a lock-in party, too, huh?)

Dh and dgs are still sleeping. Maybe The Man will be late and dh can get some rest — he was REALLY overwhelmed and exhausted with yesterday and he just doesn’t feel well — his tolerance level for noise and stress is pretty low (worse since he was sick with his heart a couple years ago).

———
Thuis sat here while The Man measured. He’s gone now and dh is back in bed. Dgs is still sleeping!
I’ve been to the post office and dgd and I are just hanging out now, eating cheese and crackers.
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Considering the tree solution, Kathryn... thanks for the tip. I don’t know if I can do that or not. The tree will be on hardwood, but I can’t move it far without running into a large area rug — too large to move.
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:25 pm

My day is in motion.

The bed is stripped and remade, fresh towels are out, laundry is started.

Most importantly, I finished sewing the new pockets into my winter coat. I had done 'proof of concept' last fall when discovering my new coat's pockets were too shallow to be useful. Forget about my cell phone, my keys and a package of tissues were at danger of falling out. These are slash pockets, so I cut out the bottom of one pocket and sewed in a larger test pocket on the left side. That test pocket, repaired multiple times, lasted through the winter.

I bought a remnant of material to make proper pockets but didn't do it in the late winter/spring (too depressed) or over the summer (same.)

This year, I had to pull out the coat early and when putting things into my pockets, realized I still had this task to do. Everything worked as planned but it took me hours and hours to do the work because I'm so slow and incompetent (there was some ripping out this morning when I forgot to sew my pocket pieces right-side together.

These are far from perfect but the bunched material doesn't show and they are lovely and deep. The right is slightly deeper since I decided to cut that even larger than the left side, once I put my hand in the finished pocket, I could see how much I was losing to seam allowances. I just hope these pockets last. They are made of heavy, silky, curtain material, so shouldn't get holes unless the seams give up.

Another item from my to-do list was handled by a phone call from the apartment manager, saving me dropping by. Plus, since I was dropping by, I had everything I wanted to say written down. It felt good to be prepared.

Now it is lunch time and flip laundry. I have to leave in less than an hour for babysitting. Dh is on his way to get the tire fixed so I'll be using transit to get downtown to meet up with dd.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Kathryn, that's a good project to do. Every time I mend DH's work shorts pockets they get smaller and smaller. He hasn't complained yet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you DEE! I had completely forgotten about thawing the turkey. I googled instructions because the cooking/thawing instructions with the turkey are sealed inside the plastic. 24 hours for each 10 lbs. I put mine on a glass casserole tray-type container and put it in the refrigerator. Probably if you hadn't mentioned it, I would have been stuck with the water bath thing.

Keeping up with dailies. Answered a letter. I washed and hosed all the back porch furniture and then hosed the concrete floor. It's drying now, almost dry enough to go out and hang up my LOL. DH is running out of TShirts. They've been wearing out and I've been cutting them up for rags.

Need to dust and clean bathrooms next.

I hear from DD that DGS has a bad sore throat. He has been to the school clinic and had no fever at the time. I sure hope he's better by Wednesday when they're planning to come.

Plan for the week: cleaning today; shopping one last time Tuesday; Wednesday baking / cooking / prepping ahead. I had to figure on a dinner for Wednesday and have an easy plan in my head now.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:12 pm

It felt good to be prepared.

Most definitely! POTB!

I am working my way through SHE cards (51 completed so far).

I've been on phone with DFriend and DSis coordinating details for Thursday meal. DH and another elder are doing most of the shopping for it today. Little by little the many decisions and details are coming together. It would be easier if we knew how many will attend the free community meal. It has been advertised on the internet, TV, and paper flyers to over a dozen towns including one town with about 100K population. We suspect many won't want to make the 20-mile drive to get to our church in the countryside. But....then....who knows? What if we cook for 200 and have 400 show up? #Clueless
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”