Saturday Sharing PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Cheesy Sat.

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:13 am

I woke up thinking of cheese sauce I had in the kitchen glad I remembered it. Dson was telling me about scalloped turnip recipe
He was going to try to make. He had it Thurs.
At 4:30 yy bs crashed. I am up had juice & pie.

I need to add whipped topping to the Jello salad so it can set up before tonight.
I have to devil the eggs today as well.

LadyMaverick

Saturday Sharing PWYC

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:51 am

I treasure the information shared here.

Post When You Can
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Re: Saturday Sharing PWYC

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:04 am

I. Want. Clean. Clothes. My advice to all: if you have an old machine that works, take care of it, you will not get a similar any more.

I was experiencing this same washing machine aggravation shopping 4 years ago. I spent a lot of time researching online, visiting the big box stores and the little Mom & Pop Appliance stores. I wanted an old fashion washer without all the newly implemented controls for water saving and safety regulations. I wanted to open the lid and add something after the machine started. I wanted to control the water level. I wanted a heavy-duty washer that was built to last. After hours/days/weeks of searching, I found it. It wasn't available anywhere in the stores so I ended up having to order it from the factory and waiting for it to be shipped. It was delivered to my home. I have been 10000% satisfied with it. This is the washer I bought but it has been discontinued. However, you can scroll down the page and see other washers that are comparable to it. The old fashion washing machine are available, but you won't find them on display in the stores.

DH is feeling better today. **Big sigh of relief** He is still in pain but it isn't that breathtaking pain level now.

I had a great night's sleep and felt ready to get going when I woke up. I have washed my hair and have most of the morning cards done.
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:17 am

I'm up and at it.

I cut my med in half for today (back to start-up dose) because I was taking it so late in the morning (8) and because I wanted to see what would happen. If today wasn't super productive it wouldn't matter.

I spent an hour or more on tea & chocolate and setting up the weekly spreads for December. I decided I like having them ready for me over the last 2 weeks (I have worked ahead a bit but that time made it much easier this past weekend) so I repeated that for the month.

There are only 4 weeks in this month! At least up until December 29 (my weeks start on Monday.)

I drew in the lines for the 6 weeks until January 5 and discovered, when I went to write in the dates, that I had a week too many! I carefully pulled it out the extra page, took off the HO HO HO! washi tape and put it in where February will eventually be in my notebook. I used red as the outline for the December weeks and I know I'll do that again in Feb. (January will be blue to signify the cold.) I had already made the last week I had sketched out, half red/half blue, so couldn't just use that in January. Besides, there is a monthly 2 page spread that needed to go in.

Anyway, that is done. Things will be tense until Dec. 16 and then, in theory, relatively quiet. The services for the 22nd and Christmas Eve are both 90% done. So aside from putting up the tree (I'll do that on the 15th after church) and getting in the food for the Boxing Day party (and getting those invitations out), really the last 9 days until Chrismas won't be a panic.

I made up and numbered my list for today. First on the list was to henna my hair. So I'm sitting here for the next 50 minutes (although I will have breakfast as well.) Then I have emails to send.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 am

Thank you LadyM. I already knew SQ was the way to go. It is stocked in one appliance store here in town. What I didn't like (or I would have bought it in a heartbeat) was the 3.3 capacity. That is pretty small and is one of the problems I have with my current washer. Washing bedspreads & throw rugs & blankets, etc. is pretty hard with one that small. Do you find it ok for that? The one I picked was a GE GTW335ASNWW. It has 3 regular dials and one senses how much water your load needs but the other dial lets you set your own water level to override that sensor one. People were saying it is the only or one of that lets us set our own water level. Still people were complaining there is not enough water level. Also, if we use liquid fabric softener (I do) we must use double rinse or it and the soap will not all rinse out. The SQ I saw was over $1,000. The GE is not quite $400.

Did you know setting the temperature to hot now gives you some hot and a bunch of cold to up the energy efficiency? I use hot with DH's whites, no wonder they come out like they do. This one can do a pre-soak for up to 24 hours by just pressing pause and putting the lid down. ALL the others had too many bells and whistles I'd never use anyway.

Kathryn, you're right. We have a short time between now and Christmas. Wow.

I am sorting my desk, came back here to pay a bill. After this I must start laundry and put house back together and then pick paint. I already looked at them and we got close with 2 of the room samples. Others, not so much.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:49 pm

RE: Washer. I don't have a problem washing anything in our washer. I put comforters, bed pillows, etc in it without a problem. I put sheets/pillowcases from 4 beds into it at the same time without a problem It does have a place on one of the knobs to hold and add more water (overriding the normal water levels). It does have a setting to control whether it rinses once or twice. The only thing I wish it did differently is the pre-wash cycle. If we want the clothes to soak for more than a few minutes then we have to manually stop the washer and then restart it.

DS11 had 2 friends show up at our house before 8am wanting him to go ride bikes with them. They were so happy to finally have sunshine after 2 days of rainy weather. You would think they have been in prison so something. Silly kids.

DD is going to come get DGD8 and take her to the birthday party this afternoon. Hopefully, DD won't bail on DGD8 and actually do it. I think DD feels guilty for being a no-show at Thanksgiving meal and this is her way of making up for it. I will have DGD8 dressed & gift ready to attend the party so if DD is a no-show today then I can take DGD8 at the last moment.

I set up a monthly page for December. It is basically an export from Google calendar to excel spreadsheet. Then I highlight & color code events that need prep. Then I print it to keep on the front of the refrigerator for everyone to see. For myself, I do a cut/paste from the monthly spreadsheet into the individual daily journal pages that I keep in OneNote. This works well to keep everyone in-the-know for our
events.

However, I can't see an overview of the SHE cards to be done. I want to see the days with scheduled events and SHE cards due so I can know when I need to work ahead or accept getting behind. I got frustrated with my efforts doing that weekly view yesterday. After thinking about it overnight I decided to try experimenting by adding a column containing the week # (WEEKNUM formula). Then I can hide all tasks that aren't due that week. According to excel formula, this is week #48 so it agrees with only being 4 weeks left in this year. YIKES!
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Hair is done, but not dried or styled. The bits that are dry (and normally grey) are a lovely golden colour and the rest of my hair is a bit brighter than it was. So I'm pleased.

Just got an email from the Christmas Sweater place accepting the cancellation of my order. It will take a while for the refund to process but at least I'll only be out the exchange rate delta (about 10%) instead of $$$ for a sweater that arrives after Christmas. I'm glad I tried for a refund. I saw Lucylee's success last night and wondered if mine would turn out as well. It did!

Harmony: you had commented about them selling something that wasn't already produced. That's the way it is with a lot of things these days. For many items, it is "just in time" production. If a company is offering an item that they aren't sure will be a success, they'll take orders, then charge you when they have enough to do a production run. This allows for small companies to not worry about ending up with too much stock, but at the same time, it means customers have to be patient. Since I placed the order in October, it never occurred to me I wouldn't have the sweater for the full Christmas season, even with a delay in starting production.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi!

We went and picked up the subflooring this morning. All 99 pieces of it. I am currently trying to empty out the fridge and move it all out to the other fridge. When I come in, I bring 2 or 3 pieces of subflooring. I also cleared of island and kitchen table and moved the 2 chairs into the living room. Took up the 4 throw rugs, which will be tossed when this project is done, and moved them out of the way. I am sweeping and the plaster/cement dust is everywhere.

Tonight with be fried chicken from KFC.

I did something last night that I never thought I would do. I took the tablet to bed with me. Played on FBook for a while and then put the tablet down and read a book for a while and fell asleep.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:10 pm

I need to walk away from the computer. I also need to use the computer.

Hair is dry and styled and looks wonderful. The new cut is the same as the old one so that's a relief. He did a good job trimming but keeping it long enough to be tied back if I wanted (and I do for some tasks because some bits keep falling into my face when I'm looking down to work.) My stylist is retiring in June so my last cut will be in May. Now I know who I'll go to after then (and already have an appointment with the new guy in Feb, before the cruise.) But next time I won't have the new guy do a fancy blow dry. It just didn't feel like me and made me uncomfortable in my own skin.

OK,

Walk

Away

From

The

Computer

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Cheesy Sat.

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Dang my rolls were beautiful but they fell during the baking process.
They taste great however.

Return to “Post When You Can”