Monday Meteorology

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Monday Meteorology

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:05 am

What's the actual weather like in your corner of the village?

Are you affected by the storms?

Are you enjoying the benefits of living in the south?

What's the metaphorical weather like in your corner of the village?

Are you digging out from under the blizzard of Thanksgiving activities?

Are you in danger of slipping and falling on ice as you start your seasonal prep?

Are you feeling completely snowed-under with tasks to do and events to attend?

Do you have your metaphorical winter tires on (planning done!) and are you moving along slowly but steadily?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Monday Meteorology

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 am

The weather here is glorious. We didn't get any of the snow, although the suburbs got a dusting. Last winter a phenomenon of a "Weather Shield" was observed where huge storms would blow towards us, then split and curve around the city but we'd get nothing, or a fraction of what was forecast. Dh kept showing me the wall of precipitation that was heading our way yesterday afternoon and I kept telling him the shields would go up and we'd be spared. We were.

I would have liked about a 1/2 inch to and inch of snow for the tree lighting tonight. But aside from that, I'm pleased with the weather. Bright sunshine, the river is a deep, cold-looking, blue and the everything looks sharp and in focus.

I'm feeling a bit snowed under though. There is a lot to get through in this week so I can't let my guard down. I'd love to go to Downton Abbey this week, but Wednesday is the only night possible and I don't want to overwhelm myself more. So I'm holding off on making a decision.

I'm also slow moving because I got distracted while my tea was steeping. I thought I'd put away the autumn decorations and that meant clearing off the cedar chest that holds the music in the front hall to take away that runner and put on my winter runner. Well, to be efficient so I didn't have to clear it again, I decided to pull out our Christmas music and got looking for Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth and things in there are mess (I haven't Konmari'd it because technically, it is dh's stuff) and so:

1. now the front hall is a mess with things strewn around
2. I've got piles of music on top of a stack of Christmas decoration bins as I dug through it looking for the one piece
3. I found one copy of it so sat down and learned it while listening to Bing and David's version
4. I've found it is now 9:20 and I haven't had breakfast, my place is messier than before, not one thing has been accomplished and most importantly, I've not s2s (I need to go out to the other building and inventory the Resident Association's Christmas supplies in case I need to go shopping this afternoon.)

So poof!

Wish me a firm grip on the road I need to travel. I don't wish to end up in the ditch again!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:37 am

HI!

We had the freezing rain for most of the day yesterday and today it is covered in snow. Looks beautiful, but I have no desire to be out in it!

I have non-seasonal music playing. I have been dusting.

Supper tonight will be spaghetti and meatballs.

Much to my dismay I need to put some shoes on and go to the garage and get the milk out of the fridge so I can have a hot cup of tea.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:51 am

Our weather is bright sunshine with a high of 55F today. Better yet the wind speed is under 20mph the entire day. I love days with minimum wind regardless of the temperature.

I had a great night's sleep and my morning has gone smoothly. DD came and took DGD8 to school. DD will pick her up after school and take DGD8 to get about a foot of hair cut off. This is DGD8 decision to cut her hair and I hope she doesn't change her mind before the stylist takes the first snip. I spend about 2 hours a week brushing tangles out of DGD8 long hair.

I called our family doctor's office when it opened this morning and they offered to see DH in 30 minutes. There was no way DH could make that appointment so he has an appointment for 1:30 this afternoon.

Now its time for me to turn my focus to homeschool. Hopefully, we can implement some strategies we have learned to ease DS11 into focusing on book learning.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 am

Morning from the desert...

Our traveling both last Wednesday and yesterday was a breeze. If fact it went better than a normal travel day. No traffics to and from the airport... checked bags curbside both times in less than three minutes and passed through security in less than five. Airports were not very crowed and the shuttle was empty when we used it. We were prepared for the worst and kept remarking to each other.... where are the crowds???

We had a great time and enjoyed having fun with the baby. Sweetie finally decided his name will be Poppy. My granddaughter has four sets of grandparents so it took him a while to settle on a name. Poppy was the name of one of Sweeties grandfathers... I am Nola

My son was over the moon with his tent and I was so glad I was there when it came. It rained most of the time while we were there, but than didn’t dampen our fun. Our T-day dinner turned out great and we enjoyed it all.

Today is a laundry day for me. Then later on I may get my new phone turned on. Hopefully cyber Monday won’t load the store up with people. May wait till tomorrow.

Will start some of my Cmas decorating today, but I don’t plan to do much. Have a new 4’ tree to put up instead of my 6’ one. We’ll see how well I keep to the plan.

Since all of my Cmas shopping is done I plan to set back and enjoy the season and stay way from stores if possible. Plan on making dinner for some friends but it will be lasagna which I can make ahead... my kind of meal.

Off to start my day... need my second cup of coffee and get my laundry started before Perry shows up. We have clear weather with temps for a high of 67*. My kind of weather :D waving to y’all!!!
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:44 am

Kathryn, go slow, be cautious and stay in your lane (i.e., don't sidetrack!)

It's gray and in thirties here. To the north of us is some snow. We have had changeable weather - Tstorms and torrential rain Saturday night, yesterday sunny, 50s and very windy, and now cold and dreary. Our high is to get to 42 or so today but there's little wind. Again, I am so glad we weren't traveling yesterday with bad weather and delays.

Slow start this morning, I set alarm at 8 a.m. although I woke up just before 8 from a weird "lost things" dream with uncomfortable clutter. I am trying to set up a Venmo account to send $$ to NY cousins for Broadway show. Waiting for an email code. Why are these things so difficult? I'm giving up for the moment (the bank doesn't want to connect, of course, half the time when I access my account from my computer it thinks the password is wrong, and when I try to confirm the email it comes up as "page not working.")

I have a task list for the day. I also have a 2 p.m. mammogram and need a trip to the grocery. I also need to go by the alteration place, although that could wait too.

I need to s2s and walk the ddog next....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:58 am

I'm watching the weather pictures. The snow looks so pretty. We had 60's and low 70's so far. A little rain which is always welcome in the winter here.

Even though there's no ice, I feel like I've been spinning my wheels. Usually I have my house put back together the day or 2 after a holiday gathering here, but not this time. I have to keep reminding myself I took time with the washer and paint selections and stopped to do the decorating. So I am making progress, it's just different this time.

Clearing my desk. November zoomed right by without that work done so I am catching up with that.

Last night in the dark I went outside and looked at the house. Pleased with our lights. I think this is one of the things I like the most about this season.

RRose, I'm glad you had a good time and easy traveling.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:32 pm

I was blown off course but the music cabinets are done. Found the music, in the last folder I looked in. I had glanced at it thinking it was the music from our music cruise choir, but it turned out dh had tucked random music from everywhere in there.

So I have that sheet music now. And I found a copy of a gospel hymn book with music that is the same as a favourite extra hymn book at the rural church I've been at so much. So that's useful for service planning.

Finally, I took dh on a tour of the hanging files. It is a traditional cedar chest with two hanging file frames put in it. The one on the left is church music (plus his barbershop quartet music which we'll deal with another day), the one on the right is secular music, plus my recorder music. I'm rather pleased this is done but it is almost noon and I'm still not dressed. Nor have I had breakfast (I skipped that in favour of goldfish cracker and diet coke.)

Oh, and I've made a phone call re: the child car seat. My favourite business does carry them, I misunderstood and they are only sold out. But the owner told me to keep the one I bought because the Black Friday price was too low for him to match. It is a clearance fabric (as if I care about the pattern!) and so the big retailer was given the older stock to sell at the super low price. His price matched the Canadian Tire (big retailer) sale price but he couldn't touch Amazon or Toys R Us.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:06 pm

weather here is sunny with a touch of snow.
Good day to you all!!!

dd older is at work but is dizzy. So praying she gets the help she needs for her physically to feel better.

d old dog can go out by herself now - yay - for a little while at least. thrilled beyond measure.

hi d kathryn I am so enjoying you being here!
hi d twins
hi d rose
hi d lady
hi d cathy

hi d everyone.

Happy Monday.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:24 pm

For the first time ever (in my memory) we had a smooth start to homeschool after several days of taking a break from studying. I am feeling confident and starting to consider myself an experienced homeschooler. It has been a long 3 years of being clueless to get to this point! DS11 is still working on his assignments but they are clearly laid out and organized for him to do. We are only doing 5 subjects today. He has 24 assignments in those subjects to do today. That may sound like a lot of assignments but most of them only take him 5-10 minutes to complete. The exception to the quick assignments today is reading Chapter 1 of Gulliver’s Travels. That will take him about 30 minutes to read IF (and this is a big IF) he stays focused. He does have the option of reading it himself or to follow along in the book while listening to the audio of the book being read.. If he does choose the audio then I require him to have his eyes follow along with the words in the actual book. The GT quiz will only take him a couple of minutes after he finishes the reading.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”