Monday Meteorology

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Monday Meteorology

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:41 pm

I finally finished a.m. routine. I was wrong. The wind is blowing and it was cold walking the dog.

I finally got the Venmo app working and sent $$ to cousins. This will also allow dd to reimburse us without having to "find her checkbook." :lol: I've continued the laundry and ordered another flat drying rack. Right now I have several things to wash and only one drying rack.

I need to leave in a little more than 30 min for the mammogram appt.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:52 pm

good for you d twins! good luck at your mammogram appointment

I am so happy for you d lady - love those smooth mornings! Gosh I wish I had a teacher like you when I was young

two pots of turkey stock being made at this morning.

filled dw and turned it on. I think the old dw is starting to die. ;)

hoping to make soup for tomorrow
tomorrow I am hoping to make some appetizers for the freezer for christmas eve - i tried it out ahead of time to see if it would freeze and it did beautifully
I know what I will make for christmas

d dog going outside on her own has been a game changer for me. wonderful
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Venmo

I read up on this because I feel totally clueless about these types of apps. I'm not very brave about linking my bank account to any app. I will wait until I have a need for it before making a decision about using it.

We are on a lunch break. After eating I can turn my focus from homeschool to home maintenance category of SHE cards.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Oh, man I hope nobody ever sends me money that way. I wouldn't know what to do with it, and also hesitate to link my bank account to anything.

It is pretty breezy here today. We took a bike ride and there was a lot of head wind for resistance. I only got it into 2nd gear for a couple streets at the end. It is a challenge to do this. But I know it is good for my leg strength so I grit my teeth and do it when DH suggests we go.

I've been washing stuff all day. Little loads because I don't want to deal with the banging unbalanced machine. I got all the towels done and put away and half of the sheets. They are installing the new machine Saturday. DH noticed the new hoses we bought said rubber on the invoice. We use those metal wrapped ones that are more durable. Called up the number they gave us and got the installation guy who stopped by and handed us a package of metal hoses. Wouldn't take any money, I guess it's more trouble for him than it is worth to credit the rubber ones and charge these. DH says he'll put another shelf up for me now that we'll have space to use.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:52 pm

In Canada we have Interac, the company that handles the banking industry's interconnected payments, from point of sale machines that take credit and debit cards at the store, to exchange of payments between banks.

We don't need apps like Venmo because we can email money from one person to another. To do that, I sign into my bank online, and give it the email address and a challenge question for the person I want to pay. You don't need an app, you can use your browser to sign into your bank from a computer.

The person receiving the money gets an email with a link. They click on the link and are prompted to sign into their bank account. The money is then put into their account after they answer the challenge question.

It isn't perfect but you are not linking your bank credentials to any third-party app. The money goes from me to Interac, and then from Interac to the person receiving the money so the person receiving the money only has access to my email address, no other details from me. Since the banks already use Interac for all their money transfers, there is no-one involved that isn't already part of the Canadian banking system.

Most mistakes come from mistaken email addresses but if your email was intercepted, someone could guess the answer (in one case, the question was "Your favourite Beatle" and you are allowed more than 4 chances to get the answer right!)

Each bank sets their fees for this; most don't charge or you get a certain number free each month and then pay a small amount for each additional email transfer.

We've had online banking in Canada for more than 2 decades. We pay bills that way, most people get their pay deposited directly into their accounts. Cheques are quite uncommon here. Most of the cheques I receive are from either the churches I work with or from our US business customers. I write 12 cheques a year for the rent and maybe another 5 for other things. Even our church offering is done automatically from my bank account.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm dressed. I had a cheese omelet for lunch (to make up for no breakfast.)

I've been over to the locker and brought back everything I need for tonight. Except chairs. I'll need about 10. I have 4 up here so am considering just bringing those down, and with the lobby seating, that makes 11 seats. Everyone else can mingle while standing.

The bed had fresh sheets on it and the laundry is started.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:20 pm

hello
turkey stock is in fridge for tomorrow and the freezer for later in the month.
kitten fed
pulled meds for animals and me for tonight and tomorrow am. pulled food for animals for tonight and tomorrow
dw is ready to empty
only one counter cleaned
I have my other items that I used for cooking to go into the dw.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:24 pm

hi d kathryn I think that's great you can email money. I wish I could do that with my bank

hi d harmony a bike ride. wow that's wonderful
good job on laundry flip flopping today.

hi d lady I am with you on the home maintenance cards.

I want to make the tzatiki (spelling?) and cut the incredients for gyro's (I have two cooked chicken breasts (small) that I will chop up small for the gyro's

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Went outside and turned my car on (at dh's request) and left it running for at least 15 minutes with the fans on high. Came back out and it was still encased in ice. Used the scraper and did a slipshod job, but it's better than it was when I started. I think I will insist on getting car parked in garage the next time.

Chopped up a couple of onions and the last 2 green peppers from the garden and they are cooking on low with some pepper and oregano and waiting until I toss a can of sauce on top. Water has been heated to boiling and turned off.

Got lost down the rabbit hole of J D Robb on FBook. I have read most of her books. I think I'm hovering around 43 of 49. Next one comes out in February.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:49 pm

I have taken everything off the kitchen counters cleaned them and the sinks.
Decluttered stuff off the counters and tossed the trash.
Rearranged stuff on the counters.
Had lunch and walked the ddog.
Lovely weather here mild temps. Snow has melted, sun is out. Temps in the fourties for our highs this week. 48* now.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”