Friday Focus IX

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Friday Focus IX

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 am

Try and focus today!

Or in my case: Stop Focus Friday!

I need to stop focusing on a song in my head that makes me cry.

It was fun to see the focus of friends finding the cup for Twins yesterday.

Hopefully our focus today will be as fun and productive!

LadyMaverick

Re: Friday Focus IX

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 08, 2020 8:56 am

OOOPS! I did a blunder yesterday. I wrote a PM to one person but accidentally sent it to everyone. Sorry about that!

Last night was loud and long. We had 3 series of thunderstorms come through during the night. The first 2 storms weren't' too bad but the 3rd one had some incredibly powerful lightning and loud thunder. Of course, DS11 anxiety went up and he couldn't sleep. I was awake from about 1:30-3:00 and then everything calmed down and we returned to sleep.

DMom has an appointment with the family doc this morning by telephone. It is not really for any reason but she wanted to do it. She insisted on having her eyes checked earlier this week. There wasn't any change since they were tested 8 months ago. Now DMom is talking about finding a new heart doctor. She doesn't have a reason to go see one but she has decided she wants to.

I have an online meeting today for the class I'm taking. Last Friday's meeting lasted 3 hours. I don't expect today's meeting to be that long.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 08, 2020 9:27 am

About that PM, any mod can reset her password using the moderator or administrator control panel. I'm out for the rest of the morning so can't do it but maybe another mod can do so.

I'm hoping this is not the same issue Nancy had where a simple reset won't work.

I'm at DD's now waiting for them to get into the car so I can drive them to the blood draw. Dgs was fairly calm about this at breakfast. There is a bag of toys/books for him in the car seat.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 am

I’m in the car at the vet. Been an hour already and muffin has only been inside maybe 15 min. There’s a whole family next tome in and out of their car walking dog around, no masks even to talk to vet receptionist who is in and out and wearing mask.

Vet will call me when done w muffin.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 am

Decision decision. Neither DH or I have a strong preference so we are in limbo but we need a decision so we can move forward.

Roof replacement decision -
26 gauge metal roof for $25,900
OR
30-year architectural shingles for $16,100
There is a $9,800 difference between the two types of roofs.

If we go with the metal roof we will probably never have to mess with roof repairs again as long as we live in this house.
If we go with the shingles we could also do some other home improvements with the money the insurance gave us.

Either decision is acceptable. Maybe we ought to flip a coin.

#FirstWorldProblems
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri May 08, 2020 9:53 am

I am retreating to my office while HRH talks to a relative of his Dad's second wife (widow) R, who happened to be the only one to answer the phone when HRH called to check on her for Mother's Day. The two men have spent decades "knowing" each other but hardly able to stand each other. Several family events at which they would have nothing to do with each other. Now they're chatting on and on like old pals worried about each other's health.

Eventually, I began to think, well, it's too early in the day for me to face this la-la-land between two old bulls, so I came in here to avoid needing something to settle my stomach. Now if they both die without ever having a word said between them again, I guess the conversation during isolating was a decent one. :roll: Maybe it will make R happy to find out that they talked.

I need to continue making up our basket of items for dmil. A few funny gifts, probably will put some flowers in a pot - just not much this year.

On the porch I have a gift from dd40's family which arrived yesterday but dd21 won't let me touch it until later today. lol

I don't believe I got a pm.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri May 08, 2020 10:21 am

Lady M - from the land of many metal roofs, hail can bang them up. dinting the metal and replacements get ordered too.
Not sure if that is the case with the gauge you spoke of, so some more questions/research might be in order.
Normally its not broken to pieces though.

today
A phone call from another person from church.
Found out they are videoing Sunday services. Sound is so low that in places I needed my head in my laptop.
Now I find I could go back in time to Easter services.
Didn't get out today, so nothing is posted, still.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri May 08, 2020 10:44 am

Good morning, villagers ~
I'm doing catch up work today, hoping that the end of the week will be calmer than the first half.

Long, hard Monday at work. Definitely a Monday.

Monday night I finally had sewing time and I was so looking forward to making the 2 masks that I wanted to try. Guess what I could not find? Right, the clear ziplock bag with that project. I looked everywhere. Everywhere. Several times.
Took a break and went outside to walk around the house.

The kitten story is a bit long so I have deleted it here and will post about his adventure separately.
Spoiler alert: all's well that ends well.

Oh and first thing Tuesday morning guess what I found? The mask project bag. Right beside my sewing chair, where I looked about 42 times. It had fallen on the floor underneath.
Argh. Such a Monday.

Tuesday I had a lovely lunch with DMom, younger DSis, and older DSis who is back home from spending the winter in Texas. We ordered take out from a nearby restaurant. This was our small, quiet Mother's Day celebration. (Sunday DSis will be having her daughters and their children for lunch, but DH and I will not go up.)

Wednesday was good & bad. The bad: I woke up very early with symptoms of UTI and concern about having to visit an urgent care clinic in the middle of the covid surge. The good: I have finally, finally (after several years of trying) been accepted as a patient at the local doctor's office. It is 5 minutes from my house rather than almost an hour to my previous doctor. (In addition to the travel time, I refuse to return to the previous doctor because there were problems with that doctor and that office, including two instances when they mixed up my health record with another woman with almost the same name.) Now after I am told my summer work schedule, I'll be able to make an appointment for a full health check-up with blood tests. That's a relief.

Yesterday at the library we had a lot of requests but I was also able to do a little work on a long-term project. The end of that particular project is in sight -- unless I just jinxed it by saying that. ;)

Today's 3 X 10 -- and yes, I mean that I will be happy if I can accomplish the following 3 things by 10PM.
1) Wash all the dishes. There aren't that many, so this should be a gimme. However, these days that is no guarantee.
2) Sew the remaining two face mask prototypes. I've been trying to get to these for weeks but to be honest, I had a stack of disposable masks so the cloth ones were not a priority. I only have one disposable left in my purse so unless I figure out a good cloth version today, I'll be using bandanas like olde timey stagecoach robbers.
3) CUOP here in this thread from the past 2 weeks.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri May 08, 2020 10:53 am

News from my TinyTown Public Library:

Monday morning, a coworker said she is convinced there is no way the public will be allowed to come back into the building at all before the end of June. The children's librarian stopped by in the afternoon to get some things from her office, and she said the boss has said more than once that we might not be able to reopen to the public until there is a vaccine. :shock:

She also said that she is cancelling all of the planned summer programs at the library. I expected that to happen but it is still sad. She is still working out alternative at-home reading activities and rewards. Some of that will depend on the decision of when the kids will go back to school.

Yesterday the boss stopped by and my other coworker asked if there is news about letting the public come back in. The boss confirmed what the children's librarian said, that she has told the Library Board that she does not want to do any more than the no-physical-contact take-out service we are doing now until they have a solid plan about how we could keep up with the cleaning, whether that would involve severely limiting which times the public could come in or increasing the budget to provide staff with PPE and hire additional cleaning help.

The boss also said she told the Board she doesn't think we can safely go back to anything like the previous mode of business until there is a proven working vaccine.

Isn't that still 9 months to a year away? Yikes!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 am

Getting a very slow start to the day -just finished my breakfast (dd's delicious quiche from last night) and it's already nearly 11am! :o I should try to go out for at least a short walk. It's still a little cool here, but that won't last long down here.

My step count is WAY up there but my weight is barely budging. But I'll just keep waiting it out. Know my eating is within good limits.

Had a letter from dcampowner yesterday. Evidently there were some campers last weekend who just couldn't follow the rules. So he was battling himself over what to do -he surely can't afford to have the campground closed down completely (and neither can many of us who have our permanent summer homes there!). Said he'd give everyone a 'pass' for last weekend but here forward gate passes will immediately be turned off until rules lighten from the county. That COULD happen today. Dh told me on the qt that the highest up from the Board of Health is coming to the campground today. Maybe at least the restriction of not being able to even step on another's site might lighten a little. I can see the social distancing and not having more than a certain number.

See our county is giving out free masks tomorrow & next Wednesday -over 1,000,000 then another 500,000 for the city. Can't imagine how long that line will be. Each town has its own one or two locations from 10-2. Trying to decide whether to have dh try to go. According to an article from our Board of Health I got today wearing masks sounds like we're in it for the long haul.

This makes me so happy! Not as happy as I would be if the earrings turned up, but it is so nice to have this for dd
Oh wow! So glad I asked the question yesterday! :D My we are powerful together aren't we!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Post When You Can”