Friday Focus IX

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Friday Focus IX

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 am

Lynlee - we have been told the metal roofs around here do experience hail damage but it is considered cosmetic so insurance doesn't pay to replace it. I hope they get your church videos volume fixed so you can hear it without strain. We are having similar struggles. There are many software settings and Hardware pieces & parts to troubleshoot. Our church video sound setup improved this week when they found one of the cables was mono instead of stereo.

DD8 is very self-motivated and industrious today. She has already completed her daily list so she could get started on a project she wants to do. She found plans online on how to build a desk for her beenie boos. She had all the supplies for this project except 3x5" cards and cardboard. I showed her where my supply for those 2 items are and gave her permission to use as much as she needed.

this la-la-land between two old bulls

Harriet - I so love your way with words. :) It makes me smile.

not be able to reopen to the public until there is a vaccine.

((((Bookie))) Such hard decisions. I hope your boss and library board makes wise ones that is right for your part of the country. Our library is opened like normal with the only restrictions on how many people can be in the building at the same time. The librarian is sanitizing the books as they are returned. The librarian recently did a poll of if/how attendees wanted to do the summer reading program. The last I saw the voting was to do it outside so there is plenty of social distancing room and minimum exposure.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am

Wow, Bookie. That's a long time to do "carryout" library service. I noticed that the state library and archives here (not lending library, just for research) is opening by appointment now. If needed to do research I could at least go in and do that. I was hoping the local library would do that for the local history department. I can see not having activities and groups but me, sitting at a table with a mask and sanitizer would be okay in my mind. Although, I wonder what the effect is of sanitizer on the hands when handling older books?

That was an expensive trip to the vet - Muffin did have ear infections again, and under her chin is also raw from a skin infection. She had such skin folds when she was heavy and had such skin issues when she lived with my dmom, so she has a bald spot there anyway. So we have a "mousse" to apply there twice a day, plus an oral antibiotic twice a day. I also picked up her regular arthritis meds and a six month supply of Sentinel and more ear wash. And they ran cultures on the ears and under the chin, and did the deep ear cleaning and applied the meds down the ear that last two weeks, and also gave her an allergy shot that tamps down the allergies. The ear infections and skin issues are all thought to be allergy related. But...as the first Mother's Day without my dmom approaches, I'm glad I have Muffin, who made mother so happy as long as Mother was at her home.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri May 08, 2020 11:36 am

Harriet - I so love your way with words. :) It makes me smile.
Me too -which is probably why dHarriet was a well known writer for some time! Coming here, I often find many things to smile about and/or pray about. Love sharing that takes place here.

I'm just plain lazy today. I suppose if I once get moving kinetic energy will take place? (She says hopefully.)

Just got a nice call from my doctor's office Care Manager. She wanted to let me know that she's been 'furloughed' for a while till things pick up again. I also had noted there's several rules in place for visits to the doctor when I get back. That's the one appointment I didn't have to change since it's June 5th. Hope to get back just before then. DD found out yesterday they have to make appointments to clean out their classrooms. She'll need 3 days to do hers probably. She's hoping to be able to sign out her computer for the summer so she doesn't have to wait for the 29th to turn it in. Hopefully then we'll be able to leave around the 27th. As of right now kids still have school until the 27-28th, somewhere in there. Doesn't make much sense in this state their in since they already have that Monday off. Just what will they have in learning those 2 to 2 1/2 days? And state aid for 'students' present days' has surely gone out the window.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 08, 2020 11:43 am

I'm with Dee.
I'm just plain lazy today.
In fact, I'm going to nap before I change sheets on the bed and vacuum and mop. At least I hope I'll get that done today.

It's cold and rainy out too.

Wanted to say thank you to all of you who participated in the scavenger hunt for the tea cup yesterday. This group is the epitome of "thoughtful." I'm so glad that Dee asked, and glad to have it replaced. DD thought it was wonderful that you all helped me out on it.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri May 08, 2020 12:08 pm

Morning...

This is Charlie

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Y ... UTF8&psc=1

Put your imagination hat on and help me with my new friend Charlie.

Charlie loves to eat strawberries, but not so much brussels sprouts. Not sure where he lives, under a tree, in a cave, under a rock or much about his family

Wanna help fill in the holes :D.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri May 08, 2020 1:24 pm

DD thought it was wonderful that you all helped me out on it.
Glad to know - that's who we are and that's what we do! :D
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Good to see Bookie; I think this is the first time since I’ve been back. Our libraries here are closed until further notice; not even drive-through pickup/drop off. Fines are waived; patrons are asked to hold onto materials until the library reopens, and holds cannot be placed. Patrons are encouraged to use Overdrive, Hoopla, and Kanopy for online access. Somebody’s minding the store, though: both our town library and the city system have online/phone access to reference librarians. Our town, at least, seems to be guessing that things will open up mid-June; meetings up till then are listed as virtual, while those after are not.

DC17’s school has hammered out a socially distanced commencement: they will still use the church that they have used traditionally. Students will have assigned times over three days. When it is their time, they and their (up to four) guests will enter the church from the side and proceed in to receive their diplomas, which will be on a table. They’ll have their picture taken and head out the front doors of the church, where the family picture will be taken by another photographer. This keeps the total at any one time in the church to the maximum 10: the student, max 4 family, school president, school principal, two class moderators, and the photographer. Video of all will be edited together into a virtual commencement in time for the originally scheduled date. I’m not shocked they’ve gone to all this trouble; if things had proceeded normally, DC would have been expected to attend 8 (!!!) graduation practices! If nothing else, this is much easier on us.

I am about halfway through my first attempt at a mask. (Thus far, I’ve been using a bandana and looking like the Frito Bandito.) Wish me luck!
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 pm

Our libraries are the same as Mystery's.

Rosie: re Charlie: I think Charlie should have an origin story of some sort (may when he was born he slid down a rainbow to earth) but has now come to live with you. Maybe he snuck inside one day in a basket of laundry and hid in a drawer for a while until he was found! Now he has a little 'room' in the corner of whatever room you grandchild's crib will be set up in (if you have a guest room for that.)

He's very curious and likes the sound of children's voices so that why he peeks in whenever you are video chatting with your grand. He might also like story books, especially turning the pages while you read to him. (I recommend 2 copies of books, one for your house and one for your ds' home as time goes by.)

Dgs' blood draw went well. Dd didn't do well though. I had put three books I'd recently read to dgs in the car and he looked at those while waiting. During the drive he was so excited to see things. A crane! A firetruck! (with a ladder...) A dump truck! At one point as we were waiting for his mom he said to himself, "I wonder if I'll see the O-train. No, that's not likely." That's the phrase dd says when she turns down his ideas of things to do. I, of course, would have happily driven him to somewhere he could have seen the trains but we weren't anywhere near them on this errand and dd wasn't about to deviate from the plan.

I pointed out to her how important it is to me to get out in the car and see different things even when all I do is sit in the car and never leave it. I said that I was sure the kids would like a longer walk around the community in the stroller so they could see beyond the few houses they can see or walk by on their own. Dd had previous said it wasn't fair to them to make them sit still to go for a walk. Now her objection was that there was no time in the day. I pointed out she could give up one of the video visits she has and take the kids out. I don't think she will but I tried.

Anyway, I've been demoralized so since I've got home hours ago, I've done nothing.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 08, 2020 2:19 pm

I had a nice nap. Dh has gone out to look for a hair cut.

I'm really having difficulty in getting moving this afternoon to finish weekly cleaning. I only need to change sheets and swiffer/vacuum/mop floors. I think I'll use the timer, beginning at the BOTH, for 45 min.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri May 08, 2020 3:36 pm

Kathryn... I love your imagination !!!!
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”