Friday Focus IX

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Friday Focus IX

Postby DeeClutter » Fri May 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Lovely imagining, Kathryn -makes for a very good story! When I went to the link it just showed me "Gloria" though. What was I doing wrong?

DD finally got her 'appointments' to clean out her room. I think she said next Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. She also can sign out the computer. She's going to B ig L ots later to find some large totes so she can store all her school things in 'like size/color totes'. She's also going to try to pick me up a couple of large decorative storage boxes so I can put the rest of all that stuff I sorted in them. Just have them in plastic bags for now.
This more or less opens up when we'll be able to head north. Right now we're kind of considering maybe May 20th or thereabouts. That would get us up there before Memorial Day weekend -not that there'll be any events of any sort. I'm just waiting to see what dh has to say after the head of the County Board of Health is there today. Keeping my fingers crossed that some restrictions might be lightened a little bit. Reminds me I need to send an email to our dcampmanager to see if our golf cart insurance confirmation ever got there. Better do that while I'm thinking about it.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 08, 2020 4:27 pm

Still working, right now I only need to vacuum the rug at the front door, the outdoor rug on the front porch and the rug in the DR. Muffin is using the DR so I may skip that if she doesn't want to move. She's had enough aggravation today.

I heard Charlie loves Brussels sprouts if they're roasted?

Dh came in with a haircut and a pizza from Aldi's. I don't think those pizzas are particularly good, but OTOH they taste like pizza but are hardly the kind I would crave if I craved one.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Dh is having an intense working day so asked for a walk. I never got lunch (too 'busy' sitting at my computer feeling sorry for myself) so I had a protein bar and 2 glasses of water and then we had a 40 minute walk. The sun came out so while it was cool, it was still pleasant. Magnolia trees are starting to bloom so we took a detour and stood under our favourite one in this area for a few minutes. It isn't in full bloom yet so I sense that might be our destination route for the next couple of weeks!

It was snowing this morning so getting in a walk was a pleasant surprise.

We got home around 3:30 and dd texted shortly after to remind us we had a music time with dgs. So we sang to him for 30 minutes.

There, that's three things done today.

Dinner would normally be pizza but tonight we'll have the ham leftovers. They were very good last night so I suspect we'll enjoy dinner again tonight.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri May 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Dee, how is the area where your RV is doing with the virus?

LadyM, we've had metal roofs on the last 2 houses we built and lived in. I used to love hearing the rain on the 'tin'. Ours were made of galvalume metal and painted. First house we used a 2-part epoxy paint, oil based. Probably 10 years later the owners who live there then had it repainted. The cream-color had gotten chalky. Next house was white painted with latex paint. Latex paint is a big mistake. We repainted it about 5-6 years later. The edge all around appeared rusted and we touched that up a few times. It appeared rusty around the bolts/gromets. Ours was R-panels, like we see on metal buildings. Standing seam roofs have a metal fastener underneath and the bolts do not show. If you're doing R-panels, there are different spacings between the ribs. The closer the ribs are together the stronger the roof is to walk on. After our hurricane, we noticed standing seam roofs did not fare as well as R-panels.

We pressure washed our roofs at regular intervals. Places that are near trees etc. get more covered with dirty moldy stuff. We had trouble finding someone who would get up on the roof to do the cleaning once we could no longer do it. It gets slippery with solution and water. Yes, they might last longer than shingles, but they are not without maintenance. Silver unpainted metal roofs can get rusty all over and eventually need replaced or painted.

Ok, more info than you wanted I'm sure. I miss the rain on the metal sound, but I don't miss the work!

I picked up DH's Rx and got some stuff at the store. 99% of people had masks on, not so many with gloves. The clerks had masks and gloves. I got some very easy to make meals. I was only out for an hour but it was nice to be out.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri May 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Making progress.

Online class lasted 2.5 hours with me taking digital notes throughout the whole time.

Roof type and color decisions made and sent to the contractor. We are going with the 30-year architectural shingle in slate color (our home is grey color scheme). Thanks for sharing your experience with the roof types! it was very helpful.

DH accidentally dropped a dozen eggs and a glass dish which shattered when it hit the ceramic floor. What a mess! I volunteered to clean it up because I wanted it done meticulously so there wouldn't be slivers of glass that Micro could get to. A good outcome of this experience is we now have a very clean kitchen floor. :)

I asked DD8 for her birthday wish list and she only wanted 2 beanie boos. I got both of them ordered and they will arrive before her birthday later this month.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri May 08, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi everyone. Just heard from my dad, my brother may have covid. He is 7 years younger than me but has an immune system deficiency that makes him more prone to respiratory problems. He can't be tested until Monday. He is feeling lousy, but not so lousy that he needs a hospital! He and his wife (no kids, 2 cats) are quarantined at home. I am safe, I would have to cross 4 state borders just to get within 50 miles of him.

Databases are being a plague as usual and I had two meetings.

Last night I made grilled chicken for DD18 and me. She liked it and Tuesday's grilled steak. I foresee an increased usage of my grill. I paid a whopping $2.50 for it at a yard sale for the animal org.

Isn't Charlie the one who fell off his dragon and landed in Ramblinrose's yard? If so, there is a stray dragon wandering about her neighborhood. Perhaps you should set out some food for him (her?). Fire breathing or ice blowing, wonder which type. Would a hybrid bring thunderstorms? Charlie will know what to feed it. I suggest a cardboard and construction paper pizza. Or cornflakes made from the same, with glitter sugar. If it is a small dragon, fix it up a nice cave made from a Styrofoam cooler. That will protect the house from fire or ice, in case he roars in his sleep.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Just finished chatting with dh and dd was in here so she now knows about the head of the County Health Dept coming to the campground today. Dh told us to really keep it under our hats till the first part of the week. First off he told them he was VERY impressed and if the other campgrounds around the state would adhere and do what our campground is doing there'd be no problem. He still had to make phone calls & thought he'd get back next week. He had to call Albany and later today he called back. Said there was 99.9% chance that the campground could open up to the 'Seasonals" on May 15th as they were scheduled to do. Of course there will still be plenty of restrictions and guidelines. Hopefully everyone will be willing to follow them. A few (rotten apples?) could spoil it in a nanno second for everyone.

Dh is going to the town by our campground to get the giveaway mask(s) tomorrow. He has a much better chance of getting them in this small town -where he's a fire dept member (as well as our hometown). Have no idea how many they're handing out to each car. He's working till noon and will go then to see.

The weather up home is terrible. Probably Cathy's isn't much better. Snow, freezing rain, more snow. DS-A had posted that "the pool is ready -will be the first time I've been able to ice skate on it in May".
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri May 08, 2020 7:14 pm

I love your ideas... keep them coming :D

I am opening up my back yard tomorrow at 9:00 am for my friends who want to see my sunflowers. Even Sweetie is impressed with them lol

I made monster cookies today... they are thick and large in size and are called Martha Steward kitchen sink cookies cause you’re suppose to have most ingredients at home.

Well maybe Martha does but not me. Apricots, coconut flakes and cherries are not found in my home. However I did buy what I needed yesterday at WW and the cookie turned out great. Let’s see... butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and soda, salt, vanilla, walnuts, coconut flakes, chopped dry apricots and I used cranberries and some chocolate chips. Oh forgot rolled oats.

Scoop up a heaping serving spoon of dough, Pat it like a hamburger patty and bake. She suggests that 3-4 cup of dough makes one cookie, but I can’t imagine eating one that big. One of my cookies was just enough to fill me up..bet I made 24 of them. Know Sweetie will be happy.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri May 08, 2020 7:31 pm

The database fix was easy, a simple reload of existing files. Not sure why it failed the first time, but the second worked. I have planned a nice dinner for myself, which I will now cook: green beans, yellow rice, bacon. The last is already cooked. Today was payday (cue the Hallelujah Chorus), so I should do bills and budget. Maybe finish off the evening by finishing the chair reupholster and repair project? This weekend it is essential I get more cat litter.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri May 08, 2020 8:02 pm

I've resorted to buying a book when I do a grocery shop each week, or so.
Libraries hopefully open in mid June, according to suggested the road map from here to wherever we are going..

Took some photos of the full moon plus one day last night, and birds enjoying the morning sunshine and tree blossom this morning.
Moved my camera/phone unintentionally, then intentionally which had interesting effects. Also the misty white clouds about turned interesting effects unseen by naked eye.

To mix yesterday's focus (didn't happen) and today's seasonal so movement here would be helpful.

late breakfast is needed.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”