Monday Pampering

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Monday Pampering

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon May 11, 2020 2:29 pm

Who has time to be married 8 times?

And did the husbands all die? If so, did anyone look into that?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon May 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Speaking of dying men, I just finished Bible Study group for this week. It was on Deborah (and, more importantly, Jael) and although the text left a lot of us cold, the discussion was amazing and fun and makes me happy. I went into it thinking, "This is why I've never bothered to learn about Deborah even though I've heard of her." And ended thinking, "How come we have lots of girls named Deborah but none named Jael? She's the interesting part of this story."

I've also handled a phone call for the residents association and set up a 4:30 story reading with dgs. He wanted to be read to earlier today but I said I would do it later. I should get a walk in now while the weather is sunny and I don't have demands on my time.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon May 11, 2020 2:44 pm

She was divorced from all but two, although in a couple of cases divorce records weren't found. One husband died of "consumption," known now as tuberculosis, another of heart disease. She was born 1855-1857, although one marriage license indicated she was 40 when she was 62! And eight marriages includes either marrying one twice or including the eighth when they got a marriage license but didn't actually marry. So perhaps I should count seven?

This is crazy! And after the fourth she was financially independent so didn't marry the later guys for financial security.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm

That IS interesting... I can't imagine having that much trust in EIGHT men! (LOL -- boy, that makes me sound like a cynic, doesn't it?) But it's true -- if something happened to dh today, I can't imagine having enough trust or desire (LOL!) to want to involve myself in ONE other man! I mean, my goodness... you marry the man, you have to take on all HIS baggage, and HIS family, and all that stuff... whew --
I am kinda in awe of y'all that have remarried after a divorce or death of your first husband... but it certainly takes a leap of faith, I'm sure. Maybe if I were younger.
And who knows what could happen? My dstepgrandmother had lost two husbands before she met my dgd. The first one died after they divorced (I think), and the marriage was not very happy; then her second husband was sick for a long time before his death. She said, "I always said the sun hadn't rose on the next man I'd marry. I guess I thought (dgd) had never seen the sun." (ROFLOL... he WAS extremely fair-skinned, btw.) But she also said the seven years they were married, before his death, were the best and happiest years of her life.

DH and I have been very productive today...
* went to dmom's and ds's and got aluminum cans to pass on to our friend who recycles, delivered to friend
* called doctor for refills for dh
* went to drug store
* filled up car with gas
* went to dmom's storage units -- ds and ddil had gone last night and got all of my late dgm's Corningware dishes -- the ones from the 70s with the green flower pattern? DS used these in college, and ddil loves them, so they were very pleased to get them. However, they were looking for a charcoal drawing that one of dmom's cousins did of the house dgf grew up in. They could NOT find it at all... so I decided to go give it a try. No luck for me either. Plus, dh nor I could not get the unit door to latch shut when I left... so ds is going to have to fit in time between work & swimming lessons to give that a try... :roll:
OTOH -- I did get some items ds had told me about -- my dgm's elementary school certificate from 1928 (8th grade?) and time/wage book my dgdad kept in 1968-70, with all the houses he bricked and his helpers during that time. Also some old postcards, a couple necklaces, and some of my dgdad's Charolais cattle papers. :D OH -- and a program from dmom's school days, a musical in 1955... and some 4-H certificates of hers.

Now... must start on laundry...
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Hum....wondering why I don't think 8 marriages are extraordinary? I know several family members and friends born in the Generation X years that have been legally married over 5 times and then they quit getting marriage licenses because of the hassle of getting divorced and they just starting living together with new partners. They have been through too many of those short-term relationships to even count. And most of these Gen X people that I'm thinking of are only in their 40's.....so they have lots of years to have many more new & short term relationships.

I've been busy and focused the entire day with high energy. It's a good day.

I miss CathyS and Blessedw2.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 11, 2020 5:11 pm

Jael was super interesting and I've had a similar thought about names. But then Deborah prophesied Jael's one moment in history, so even that story partially belonged to Deborah. 40 years judging all of Israel and of course being Commander-in-Chief of Israel's military pretty much cinched Deborah's incredible legacy. And as the victor, she was the writer of the story of the war, so her words made sure Jael was remembered.

I'm grateful to Deborah because she offered one of the "duh" moments of embarrassed silence when my SS class went through that bizarre "no woman in the Bible ever taught a man" time, lol. (Naw, just 4 decades of teaching everyone who encountered her.)

Harmony, where did ya'll find the hoarder shows to watch?

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon May 11, 2020 5:43 pm

CUE HALLELUJAH CHORUS LOUD!!! The eye doctors are back in business. I just made an appointment for May 27. I am fairly certain my near vision prescription has changed and I know for a fact that I need an adjustment.

This weekend, I finished reupholstering the last chair, but realized I need to do something with the back. The backs are not upholstered, but have falling apart wooden slats. I'm not really sure how to deal with that. What I probably need is wood cut to the appropriate size and just attach new backs. I don't have a saw. What I really need is a new dining set, but I don't foresee that ever. I also changed sheets, purchased cat litter, and extreme cleaned all catboxes. We even "attended" church online, though late. Got the bills and budget done.

I have been walking around the block and ran into neighbors. Saturday, I found out that one of my neighbors died 41 days ago and I never knew it. She did have pneumonia, but probably not covid. I saw her son, who lived with her the past 16 years, caretaking, not failure to launch. Needless to say, he is quite upset, and it is made more difficult because he cannot get away from the house due to covid. I understand there are financial issues as well, and he is having to defer the funeral and putting her ashes in the memorial wall. I brought him a dinner, because he has not felt like cooking. He said he is all alone, because he has no children and that it would be easier if he had a woman. Can't help him there. He has had lots of visitors and ended up hugging me. Hope no one is sick.

My brother is being tested for covid today and we suspect he actually has it. To come within 50 miles of him, I have to cross 4 state borders, pretty sure I am safe there.

Today's database problem turned out to be hard to diagnose, but easy to fix. Of course, there are still many other things I have to get on from last month. I'm not sure if I have problems or not. I keep having to do crisis management.

It's gray and rainy right now. Probably won't take a walk. I only go around the block. The first time I did it, the swelling actually went down in my foot, so I am continuing.

I'm with lucylee! It has been ten years since my divorce and I still don't want any romantic entanglements! I like living alone (especially during semi-isolation). I never want to share a house again. On those increasingly rare occasions when I consider dating, I remember what I had with the x and experience revulsion. I won't become a crazy cat lady though, because I have always been a crazy cat lady.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Amused to think of Elizabeth's explanation that we will certainly not be becoming what we have always been. :) Elizabeth, I will certainly not be becoming sidetrackable. I hope that whatever your brother is going through will be brief for him. You did a good thing to show interest in your grieving neighbor and provide a meal.

Dd will likely have to give up her summer internship because the job turns out to be more public-oriented than first expected, and the choice comes down to having nowhere to live if she were working among the public. She would never have planned to try living on her own on her current income, and even though the internship does pay some, the benefit is more to the resume. We got yet another call from the opthalmologist office asking about isolation and saying how important isolation is for the next month or more. HRH will have to answer the isolation question in the ab-so-lute during at least two more med appts next week (even signing a paper before entering O.R.), and that whole scenario plays out again 3 weeks after that. Places to live are expensive and expect long leases, with no potential roommates at a reasonable distance. We have even discussed a camper beside the house. But nothing makes sense, financial or otherwise.

I am dealing with piriformis muscle pain (sciatica) today. Not myself because my brain can't stay on track. On my way to take a pain pill.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Harriet, so sorry DD has to give up her internship. This quarantine stuff can be difficult. Our state is now opened up for 'elective' surgery. Drs. on the news today say they have lists of people prioritized to call them in order of importance. You guys need a "tiny house" in your backyard!

Elizabeth, I don't suppose your neighbor has a saw you could borrow? If it is straight pieces, Home Depot will cut wood for you. How about a shop class at the high school? I redid that little cabinet at adult shop class...though now I'm thinking it will be a long while before any of those classes are open again. I do hope your DBrother will be ok. Does he live by himself?

Had a visitor today...who I talked to out on the front porch. It was a gopher tourtoise, but a small one, about the size of a small dessert plate. It went off somewhere later. We looked for it around the house (outside) but find no evidence. Cute little guy.

I've washed my bedroom window and frame and the blinds. Something was making cobwebs in there and I sprayed the bug spray around last week and left it. Now it's all clean and tidy.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon May 11, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm here. Just lurking instead of posting. Not feeling very "nice" lately and rather than post nastiness, I'm doing a Thumper... "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." At least, I think that's Thumper from Bambi movie. Goodness knows, my dd watched that enough when she was living at home.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”