Thursday Thoughtfulness

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Thursday Thoughtfulness

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 14, 2020 8:08 am

I had something for today's opening but I forgot what it was!

I guess thinking isn't my strong point right now....

If I remember, I'll post later. In the meantime, the village is opened up, bright and cheery, virtual hugs are not frowned upon, gathering together is smiled upon.

I remembered! Name a new habit/activity that you do now that you didn't do before shutdown that you will try to continue after life returns to 'normal'.

Lynlee

Re: Thursday Thoughtfulness

Postby Lynlee » Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 am

together apart.
an activity encouraged
to bring us safely through.
balancing closer togetherness takes more thoughtfulness.

today
breakfast, bath, otd.
bus to appointment.
paid first
text dd1 who texted back.
then fussed with photos now I've remembered how to reframe some.
appointment.
managed to get the bus home.
texted dd I was walking home.
sat down and the phone rang.
more details of her injuries in j&c. prayers please.
I'll probably see her again this w/e. If all goes to their plan.
lunch and fussed on computer some more.
nap until it was late, almost dark listing to radio.
dinner nuke cooked.
tv was mostly stuck on Au news channel .
did I not hear it the first time?

goodnight.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu May 14, 2020 8:58 am

Garbage and recycling is out. It's going to rain here later, therefore it's cool and overcast.

Absolutely no idea what to have for supper. We had bacon and eggs this week, and spaghetti and meatballs. We also had hamburgers and onion rings. Ribs and rice was also done over the weekend. Running out of ideas with a full freezer and a full pantry and a full fridge. Sigh.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 14, 2020 9:27 am

I remembered! Name a new habit/activity that you do now that you didn't do before shutdown that you will try to continue after life returns to 'normal'.

(I've added this to the opening post as well.)

Dh and I enjoyed our family dinner last night and wonder if this is something we'll continue after Covid ends because it is nice for the 7 of us to get together once a week. Hopefully, over time we'll add the GF and C if they are around. I think C will have to meet us in real life first because she's shy and the video thing is really weird.

At the moment, C is living full-time with her dad. It has been 21 days now (as a sobering FB post mentioned last night) and the GF is really missing her little girl. But it has to be in order to keep her safe while both her mom and ds work in a high risk environment without proper PPE. The GF wants to move to a temporary but full-time position at the worst hit nursing home in our area. There she'd get PPE. While the hospital is supporting that nursing home by providing additional staff, the GF's supervisor doesn't want to release her to take this job (she's currently casual but works full-time hours at the hospital) because the GF is willing to work overnight shifts and that's hard to replace.

Ds is conflicted because the GF wants this new position and he'd rather she stay safer at the hospital, yet he's told her it is her decision so he's upset because she's being blocked from the transfer. As well, he's upset because he's ridiculed at work for using PPE brought in from home since the hospital doesn't supply any for his position in the birthing unit. I told him to contact HR and let them know he's unhappy at being ridiculed when the messaging from public health is STAY SAFE!!! It is a conflict though, because ds wearing homemade PPE highlights the fact that the hospital has chosen to ignore the public guidelines on how to stay safe. So I understand the hospital feeling that ds is putting them in a bad light. But they deserve to be in a bad light.

I slept better last night and feel brighter today. My back is still sore but not as bad and I've moved my things back into our bedroom and will try sleeping in my own bed tonight.

I've already done one round of physio and hope to get 2 more in through the day.

Dd's computer no longer works with Skype so I was connected with FB messenger video chat which offers much worse video and audio. Plus, if I showed my camera view, I couldn't see dgd so I had to turn that off and didn't always remember to sit within my camera range. When we were finally connected, I was surprised it was dsil there instead of dd. She was still sleeping after a rough night with dgd. She came down about 20 minutes into our breakfast.

I told made-up stories to dgs today. He wanted me to read a book but that wouldn't be possible since I couldn't see the camera view. I'm also working on his imagination, and get him to name nouns or adjectives and often ask him if he knew what happened next. If he did, then I work that into the story. Active listening is a skill he'll need for school. Rosie's asking what Charlie's back story was reminded me that I'm good at this stuff and should use it.

I'll probably go over there for afternoon special time today. Dd emailed in the middle of the night in response to my email requesting more outdoor meetups with both children saying she was OK with outdoor meetings but didn't think dgd would manage the physical distancing. But she was willing to try since she agreed the only way we'll know is if we try it.

There will be a big announcement of loosening of rules this afternoon and it is a slight possibility that 2-household bubbles will be put into effect. In that case, we'll be having interactions that include a minimal amount of touching. That's just to make dd feel more comfortable, full touching would be allowed but I don't think she can handle that right now. She's been so isolated for so long, I think she's afraid of reconnecting with the outside world.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 am

Name a new habit/activity that you do now that you didn't do before shutdown that you will try to continue after life returns to 'normal'

I hope I stay aware of my hands and/or anything that touches my face. I think my hands stay much cleaner throughout the day than they used to be. Touching your face in public feels like a big NO now.

DD asked if the kids could come to stay with her for a few days. DH and I agreed to it. Then she switched from them staying a few days to just staying overnight. Last time she kept them 14 hours before bringing them back. We shall see how this goes. Both of the kids have phones which gives them the ability to get help if needed.

Today's plans & accomplishments -
Done ** Health tracker
Done ** AM cards -including washing hair
Done ** talked to DMom. She is crying in grief and pain. It's a difficult time.
In progress ** Pack kids suitcases to stay with DD
** DH to doctor appointment (diabetic checkup)
** Contact office about DD8 insurance
** One thing a day done well
** Play in the garden
** Keto tribe
** Active minutes
** Funeral visitation for Gerald
** Get well cards to Norma
** Date with DH
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:58 am

just wanted to say hello!!!
I have been working outside and haven't been in enough to really work on the house. I never stopped thinking of you. I just wanted to say hello and wishing you the best.

I am happiest outside :D
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 14, 2020 11:52 am

Oh so glad to see you checking in bw2! I know working outside is restorative for you, too.

Today is a work day here - weekly home blessing and a few other tasks...

I think supper may be the Home chef pork Marsala, but if dh would like to pick up carry out he can choose and we'll go with that. I'm tired of being the "decider."

Dinner tomorrow night is grilled chicken with mango salsa, a veggie, perhaps a salad and challah, with berries and whipped cream for dessert.

Dh says he will be working at home until end of June for sure, not announced about beyond June. He said he's ready to set up that room for his office. I've said I would move my genealogy stuff into the bonus room, since I have craft things and my photos in there already.

I need to peel my bottom up and get moving...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Is it possible the hospital is without these resources but doesn't want to say so? I heard on our Governor's broadcast a report of 100 gowns arriving in the state and being rushed by a quick-thinking staffer in their personal car, to a convoy that was headed out to deliver PPgear to hospitals, making it to the convoy on the road. The person relaying this was very happy about the incident, but it made me think that if a box of 100 gowns was that precious, we must still have a PPgear problem here.

About the ridicule. That does seem to be "a thing" these days. One question the moderator of our session wanted to ask me was whether I was hearing negative responses to churches being closed still. I told him no, nothing negative about churches, but the general bullying on social media had bothered our household. He agreed. I don't think either of us used the word ridicule but that's a good definition. Feeling loss of respect for some who may not be the people I thought they were.

I've been cooking through the morning and have some casseroles to refrigerate. Already got another load through the dishwasher to handle that, so the kitchen counters have been taken from clean to messy to clean today.

Dd21 had a phone meeting through the morning and is set up to start curating from home for her internship. They are gearing up and the next showing is in just a few weeks. The other intern, who planned to be off to an opportunity in Ireland by now, is delayed until August because of Covid. So she will still be there now for hands-on work, allowing dd to move a little slower into the in-person business of the gallery, but have responsibility as a curator. Happy result.

blessed, how good to see you.
Hope all gardens are doing well in the village, including the new varieties and new methods.

I may turn some attention to getting flowers planted this afternoon now that vegetables are in good shape.

Also Desk Day looms.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 14, 2020 12:21 pm

They are beginning to open the SE part of our state, which was the worst area here. I still see a lot of precautions around.

We were out early taking truck to the place we're leaving it sometimes. On the way back we stopped at HD to get another for sale sign to put in the back window. I noticed most people were wearing masks on the way in. DH, of course, was not. We scoped out another place to leave the truck sometimes on the way back home.

Once home we looked through the file and picked out the papers to give to a future owner. Trying to be hopeful. On the way, DH said to me "1 truck less on the way to closing down". I've never even heard him say this before. Of course, he did keep the 2 trucks that permit him to keep working. This was just the running-around truck.

I don't know what extra thing I'd do after all this is over. Be more mindful of germs, that's for sure.

Hi, Blessed!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Blessed!! It's good to see your post! I would love to hear about your outside doings. Any hint of gardening immediately has my attention. LOL

Our state post a daily update of all PPE equipment onhand & available from the state inventory and each individual hospital. The conversation this morning has me wondering if this type of PPE inventory information is available online for your area.

Today's plans & accomplishments -
Done ** Health tracker
Done ** AM cards -including washing hair
Done ** talked to DMom. She is crying in grief and pain. It's a difficult time.
Done ** Pack kids suitcases to stay with DD
Done ** gathered & loaded up bed frame, 6 metal flower stands with pots into DD pickup.
Done ** kids launched to stay with DD
Done ** DH to doctor appointment. Yes… confirmed once again it is time to change doctors!
Done ** One thing a day done well
Done ** Previous one thing a day maintained.
Done ** reset the 3 wifi mesh points and modem. Test the entire network with all devices. Everything is working correctly again.
Done ** Another long phone call with DMom while she was in tears.
In Progress ** Cronometer
Next UP ** Date with DH
** Contact office about DD8 insurance
** Play in the garden
** Keto tribe
** Active minutes
** Get well cards to Norma
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”