Saturday Season-ing

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: Saturday Season-ing

Postby Harriet » Sat May 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Remember this rant-from-the-past? :lol:
Seeing the author was Astrid Lindgren reminds me of my great love for her book Pippi Longstocking and enjoyment as dd-now-21 started reading it. Then the computer at school decided that because she had scored a 100 on the test it gave her on the book, it would not give her any more tests on books at the same level. So she spent that school year with no time to read Pippi Goes on Board or Pippi in the South Seas because she had to rush into the next level of books and manage to keep getting good marks on those or take a lower grade. I remember complaining vehemently about that here! :) Also writing a couple of letters, I think, criticizing the "Accelerated Reading" program for forcing elementary kids who happened to test well into premature "acceleration", keeping them from moving through series naturally.

Dstepson came and put up my tomato fence today. It's not tall enough, but I should be able to think of a way to extend some support upward.

Ds came over for most of the rest of my plants.

Nice phone conversation with dd40's family.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 pm

I remember that Harriet. It quite put me off the Accelerated learning concept. Age appropriate subject matter allows for more comprehensive development, if students were able to use their mental prowess to challengingly look at what they are reading, exploring further. Additional assignments that stretch them while still allow them to develop normally.
I remember a girl who was larger than her age group being put with young teenagers on a camping / safari style tour. He mother was most displeased with the process, and girl she got back was out of kilter with being an 11 ? yo.

That said. I am out of kilter with things here.
Or things are out of kilter to supportive of easier living.
No word from dd1.
I guess brunch etc would be a good idea.
Ideally I'd go to the store this afternoon as well.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Harriet, I do remember that post about the reading, but I'm not sure I understood it..like I do now.

I had the husband of a Great Aunt try to teach me that language... he called it the hot-in-tot! But it certainly was the same. I never knew where it came from, maybe something he made up...isn't that funny!

Well, I stuck out my neck and tried to have an evening with DH..or just a couple hours outside. He was more concerned with getting his food timely (not waiting in the long line at the restaurant). And he's so mad about the shut-down that the nice ride to the beach was a bust. We went by the local beach here and I'd thought about a short walk, but there was a sign saying it was closed... and people were out there but just a few here and there and nobody was bothering them. DH was much pleased that cops weren't out arresting people...that was ALL he wanted to see and didn't want to sit or walk around.

So we went to a nearby park so I could see how they'd changed it. They'd taken out the tennis courts and added big playgrounds and picnic table and a splash pad....and he wasn't going to get out of the car until I did...and just to prove his point that all this was a big to do about nothing he went back to the canal and stood talking to a perfect stranger, looking and touching the fishing pole...

Next time I'll go alone.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun May 17, 2020 3:04 am

* I think * the correct book is now on its way to me, thanks to BookSaver and A mazon!

Yes... Accelerated Reader has definite flaws. Ds won a prize and mostly just took tests on biographies of historical figures that he already knew about. Shaking my head — I didn’t exactly approve of his beating the system like that, but had no idea until after awards day.
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 am

Australian case numbers by state and territory
Victoria had seven of Australia's nine new coronavirus cases recorded in the 24 hours to 4:00pm Sunday.
There was also one case each in Western Australia and New South Wales.
The nine cases took Australia's total to 7,045, with 98 deaths.
Authorities reported that 6,367 people have recovered from COVID-19.
Australian cases:

ACT: No new cases (107 total cases, 104 recovered, 3 deaths)

NSW: 1 new case (3,075 total cases, 2,612 recovered, 45 deaths)

NT: No new cases (29 total cases, 27 recovered, no deaths)

QLD: No new cases (1,055 total cases, 1,037 recovered, 6 deaths)

SA: No new cases (439 total cases, 435 recovered, 4 deaths)

TAS: No new cases (228 total cases, 198 recovered, 13 deaths)

VIC: 7 new cases (1,558 total cases, 1,417 recovered, 18 deaths)

WA: 1 new case (554 total cases, 543 recovered, 9 deaths)
*Numbers correct at 4:00pm, Saturday 17 May

And Qld premier still disagreeing with neighbouring NSW Premier who wants our boarder open, says until there is no community transmission in NSW and Vic.

That said, there is a mess of people with family members (children and partners) stranded overseas,
and overseas folk here without income after their jobs disappeared.

Watched church service. read the homily twice.

Edited stats list.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”